Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

follow up from the first hand posted

Old
follow up from the first hand posted - Mon Jun 27, 2011, 06:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2011
i justed posted a hand and had it evaluated,so now i am short stacke,get ace 9 and think maybe get lucky and win one

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

SPLIT ,i have had so many splitt pots ,usually i have had the better kicker but i should be happy,

same player puts me out is my play now realy this bad

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

i fought so hard last night and held on for a 9th place and tonight ,i am back with big losses and another minus ,was i too impatient

Last edited by PLaws62; Mon Jun 27, 2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old
Mon Jun 27, 2011, 09:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The first one, I can understand trying to get some chips with top pair... although I'd have pushed preflop if I was going to play the hand.
The 2nd one, I'm letting go of. I think it was JD that said "don't go broke with a hand you wouldn't raise preflop with". Yes, you can see the flop for free, but with as many in the pot as there were, more than likely, you're outkicked. If I'd have wanted to play it, I'd have pushed preflop.

Old
Mon Jun 27, 2011, 10:12 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
1st hand you can't push preflop unless you think one of the players will reraise to isolate. And if he does that, you're usually dominated, so not a great spot either, though at least there's a lot of dead money to help you. A9 offsuit is going to have a lot of trouble winning a 4-way pot. With the huge pot odds I'm probably completing the SB with A9, although that's pretty much throwing precious chips away most of the time, especially being out of position like that. No problem checking the flop. When I hit the turn definitely shoving.

2nd hand, you really can't push preflop, check here always. On the flop, you have 2 BBs and a pair....top pair! Have to shove here. The pot represents too big an increase in your stack for you to fold here. You're not "going broke in a limp pot"...you were broke before the hand began! A lot of worse hands will call you here. He can call with a 10 or pocket eights or KJ or J9 or a stupidly played AJ or AK, etc. Even if you get called by a hand that has you outkicked like QJ you can still hit your kicker. It's a super weak backup draw, but it's still a few outs usually. (You're pretty much screwed against a hand like QT or even Q4). Now, if you're last to act on the flop and there's a bet and a raise or even a bet and a call you can fold, but first to act I think you have to take your chances with 2BBs.

Old
Tue Jun 28, 2011, 03:23 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
The first one, I can understand trying to get some chips with top pair... although I'd have pushed preflop if I was going to play the hand.
The 2nd one, I'm letting go of. I think it was JD that said "don't go broke with a hand you wouldn't raise preflop with". Yes, you can see the flop for free, but with as many in the pot as there were, more than likely, you're outkicked. If I'd have wanted to play it, I'd have pushed preflop.
The quote was: "Never go Broke in a limped pot". (Same/same, you were close enough JWK! )

...and I got that from a TJ Cloutier lecture at the 2007 PSO Convention in Las Vegas.

Great advice.

Who knows, if you jam your A9 in hand #1, the guy who LIMPED A9s might consider the raise to be too big to play a hand he only wanted to limp (doubtful, but possible). You never gave him the chance to fold though...

Last edited by JDean; Tue Jun 28, 2011 at 03:28 AM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com