Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Good push bad push?

Old
Good push bad push? - Thu Jun 30, 2011, 03:40 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
ChromeStar
the player in question will play any 2,felt it was aye must?comments pleasePokerStars Game #63974068878: Tournament #397948329, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2011/07/01 7:33:46 NZT [2011/06/30 15:33:46 ET]
Table '397948329 23' 9-max Seat #9 is the button
Seat 1: boganflash (1295 in chips)
Seat 2: LeoTheTrojan (1160 in chips)
Seat 3: BARRYDOGG378 (1375 in chips)
Seat 4: gugiarmada (2080 in chips)
Seat 5: terryman404 (2825 in chips)
Seat 6: Damen1 (1475 in chips)
Seat 7: antlovesang1 (5930 in chips)
Seat 9: cathwarr (4140 in chips)
boganflash: posts small blind 50
LeoTheTrojan: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to BARRYDOGG378 [Ac Kc]
antlovesang1 said, "n"
BARRYDOGG378 said, "like now"
BARRYDOGG378: raises 1275 to 1375 and is all-in
gugiarmada: folds
terryman404: folds
Damen1: folds
antlovesang1: raises 4555 to 5930 and is all-in
cathwarr: folds
boganflash: folds
LeoTheTrojan: folds
Uncalled bet (4555) returned to antlovesang1
antlovesang1 said, "nh"
*** FLOP *** [5h 6h 2c]
*** TURN *** [5h 6h 2c] [4c]
*** RIVER *** [5h 6h 2c 4c] [9d]
BARRYDOGG378 said, "call ant,call ant,please"
*** SHOW DOWN ***
BARRYDOGG378: shows [Ac Kc] (high card Ace)
antlovesang1: shows [Qh Qs] (a pair of Queens)
antlovesang1 collected 2900 from pot
BARRYDOGG378 finished the tournament in 379th place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 2900 | Rake 0
Board [5h 6h 2c 4c 9d]
Seat 1: boganflash (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 2: LeoTheTrojan (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: BARRYDOGG378 showed [Ac Kc] and lost with high card Ace
Seat 4: gugiarmada folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: terryman404 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Damen1 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: antlovesang1 showed [Qh Qs] and won (2900) with a pair of Queens
Seat 9: cathwarr (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Old
Thu Jun 30, 2011, 03:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Bad push, still early on in the match... AK suited is a strong hand but you need to hit most times to win.. anyone who is not a paint chip eater who has a big pair is calling, and if you dont hit your out...

I prefer a 3-4 bb raise and see where you stand, Ant is probably shoving over top of you, and you know your beat

Old
Thu Jun 30, 2011, 04:27 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
PSO...bad push. Play a standard line, and if you hit, then go for it. If you miss, release.

Regular MTT, especially a regular Free Roll, not so bad.

The operative thoughts when you contemplate a jam with a hand like AKs are:

What do I WANT to call me?

AND

What is LIKELY to call me?

The first one is easy: you want Any rag A or K calling (all As and Ks are "rags" compared to your hand). You also want a call from any un-paired under cards that are only "live". You'll TAKE a call from a pp around 99-QQ, since you are racing those, and do not really think free roll players will fold. The only hands you really are NOT "happy" about seeing call are AA/KK (because you are dominated), and pp 88< (because those weaker pp that are AHEAD of you in a race, but they are weak enough you should get them to fold out pretty often with your jam).

The next question requires you to supply TABLE READS in order to answer.

You need to know there are people at your table who will stack off pre-flop holding AQ/AJ/KQ to make your jam worthwhile. If you cannot say you know this, then your stack still has a very MARGINAL ability to raise a small-ish "standard" amount (like 2.25BB to 2.5BB), and fold a flop miss; this means you MIGHT have 1 more chance at a "normal" betting line before you are in push/fold mode. Of course...Winning the blinds and antes ARE a large chip up for you here though, so a shove to get all to fold is not "terrible, but you really would prefer an "easy" double to just a blind steal with this hand.

You ALSO need to now that there are people who can fold those baby pockets, instead of playing for all their chips. This is simple: you do NOT "want" a race if you can avoid it. If you cannot fold out the baby pp, then a more standard line, which creates situations where there are overs to those small pp more often than not, if far more preferable.

The fact someone "wakes up" with AA/KK, or a big racing pp, is pretty moot. Those should make up a small portion of the calling range of your opponents, and most of even that small range is not "terrible" for you.

The long and the short of it is:

In MOST spots, this is not a terrible shove at all with AKs with only 13.75BB left.
The sharper your reads are, the better (or worse) the shove may become.
It is up to YOU to use that info to sharpen your decision so you are not falling into "automatic" plays (like jamming ALL AK hands under 15BB, all the time), that can be used by opponents to better range YOU.

Old
Hes aye donk and will play any 2 - Thu Jun 30, 2011, 04:27 PM
(#4)
ChromeStar
seen him do it heaps at this table,and others,i was 100% sure i was in front,i was wrong this time,will post,when i get him

Old
if i had same cards again - Thu Jun 30, 2011, 04:32 PM
(#5)
ChromeStar
Against that same player,i will do nothing diff,at any stage of the tourney,hu ak suited against that player everytime i will play them,dosent matter what anyones says,sorry,DOGG GONE

Old
My apoligies - Thu Jun 30, 2011, 04:42 PM
(#6)
ChromeStar
i read threw your comments and yous are right,it was aye bad shove,was tilting when i replied,seen this player push air so many times,was sick when he flipped,dogg goneit,thks for comments,DOGG GONE

Old
Thu Jun 30, 2011, 05:47 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRYDOGG378 View Post
i read threw your comments and yous are right,it was aye bad shove,was tilting when i replied,seen this player push air so many times,was sick when he flipped,dogg goneit,thks for comments,DOGG GONE
Wasn't saying the shove was "terrible", merely putting out alternate thoughts to consider.

situation being what it is, in a normal MTT, a jam definately has reason. In a PSO event, chips and advancement are jsut too improtant to take this rsik when you don't need to.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com