Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

New PSO tourney .. 8000+

Old
Thumbs down
New PSO tourney .. 8000+ - Fri Jul 01, 2011, 10:23 AM
(#1)
ruiten7's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 14
Im done with Poker School

just tried so hard but in a field of 7000 nuts who are being idiots and 1000 PSO members trying to survive ...... It was no fun, and I'm learning cos its fun.

didn't matter how tight or how aggressive .... 5 callers all the time and most of them all in, I came across one guy from the 'old' PS

Well Done Poker School .... you gained 7000 nuts and lost some real people that enjoyed playing in our league.

 
Old
Default
Fri Jul 01, 2011, 12:46 PM
(#2)
PSO-Staff's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 399
(Administrator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiten7 View Post
Im done with Poker School

just tried so hard but in a field of 7000 nuts who are being idiots and 1000 PSO members trying to survive ...... It was no fun, and I'm learning cos its fun.

didn't matter how tight or how aggressive .... 5 callers all the time and most of them all in, I came across one guy from the 'old' PS

Well Done Poker School .... you gained 7000 nuts and lost some real people that enjoyed playing in our league.

Just like in these tournaments you need to adopt a more patient attitude as there will be for certain 1500 very competent poker players that get rewarded with premier league status in August.

I will be looking into helping the community via live trainings focusing on strategy for this type of event.


Good Luck
PSO STAFF
 
Old
Default
Fri Jul 01, 2011, 02:26 PM
(#3)
wwwMBeecouk's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 690
BronzeStar
May one enquire as to how many of the trainers actually either play or did play in the pso league in the first place?

MB
 
Old
Angry
pardon? - Fri Jul 01, 2011, 02:41 PM
(#4)
Juno_Junoson's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 5
You mean 1500 players who contribute enough rake to your site.
 
Old
Default
Fri Jul 01, 2011, 02:47 PM
(#5)
roomik17's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,556
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwMBeecouk View Post
May one enquire as to how many of the trainers actually either play or did play in the pso league in the first place?

MB
Most of them actually MB.. Honu, Ahar, Darkman, and Dave occasionally early on But I agree with you, finding training for this type of game will be difficult at best, when having AA is getting called by 3 to 8 people lol
The only advice i can give is sit out the first 20 minutes or so, and then pray
 
Old
Default
Fri Jul 01, 2011, 08:14 PM
(#6)
joy7108's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,286
There's a very simple solution - simply allow only 1 tournament per day. This would help lower the number of entries, since there would be no playing 4-6 games a day. The other benefit is a more level playing field, since the maximum games is the same for everyone.

As for me, I think I'll concentrate on the women's league (really miss the NAPL too).
 
Old
Default
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 05:07 AM
(#7)
wwwMBeecouk's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 690
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
Most of them actually MB.. Honu, Ahar, Darkman, and Dave occasionally early on But I agree with you, finding training for this type of game will be difficult at best, when having AA is getting called by 3 to 8 people lol
The only advice i can give is sit out the first 20 minutes or so, and then pray
Hi roomik17 as you say some of the trainers played EARLY ON. They must have gotten pretty bored pretty quickly then. I very much doubt any will find the time to be 'active' participants in this latest retro-incarnation.

We need a new type of acronim for 'Sit Out and Pray' types - How about Soppys

What can possibly be the point of having to sign up, pay for electricity just to sit out, sit out, sit out and hope a cat 1 hand does not get cracked? It was bad enough having to sit at tables where the clock was fully run down at every hand from hand one - with loads more likely to catch on a tournament may become a marathon.

I would like to play poker and that means getting involved at the appropriate time. If I am going to sit out all the time I may as well use the screen space for a money table where I stand a better chance of putting into practice the valuable lessons learnt here.

With the problems some poker sites are facing, PStars has a fantastic opportunity to become the defacto standard for online schooling and I feel that that is being wasted. It will only take another site to wake up and grab the opportunity and PStars may well see its customers leaving in droves IMHO.

MB
 
Old
Default
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 05:40 AM
(#8)
Ace King 61's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 421
BronzeStar
Thank heavens I am not "allowed" to participate in this joke of a league anymore!
 
Old
Default
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 07:58 AM
(#9)
Darkman61's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,225
BronzeStar
Thank heavens you are still allowed to make amusing posts
 
Old
Default
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 08:13 AM
(#10)
ronh1967's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 376
for ppl that are gonna play alot off these tournaments there is a stratagey that will work
 
Old
Default
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 08:43 AM
(#11)
PlsDntBlffMe's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 42
Post Deleted

Last edited by PlsDntBlffMe; Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 01:40 PM..
 
Old
Default
Solution - Sat Jul 02, 2011, 05:40 PM
(#12)
ruiten7's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 14
ok, here's the training.

1: sit out for 1 hr and 15 mins .... this will leave you with a stack between 580 - 880 depending on blinds and speed of game etc.

2: go all in on the next decent hand (you already are =/- 2250 in a field of 10 000)

3:if you win you have a stack to play cos there are still enough nut's in the game to get 3X a call or even a re raise not that you can win anything then but the nut that calls the re raise will leave the building probably giving you even more hope for a higher finnish)

4: go ahead and play your game with the chips you won if you did......if you lost you have a + around 14 (ish)

I don't need to be paid for this advise but I did test it today
 
Old
Default
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 07:11 PM
(#13)
Chinook146's Avatar
Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiten7 View Post
ok, here's the training.

1: sit out for 1 hr and 15 mins .... this will leave you with a stack between 580 - 880 depending on blinds and speed of game etc.

2: go all in on the next decent hand (you already are =/- 2250 in a field of 10 000)

3:if you win you have a stack to play cos there are still enough nut's in the game to get 3X a call or even a re raise not that you can win anything then but the nut that calls the re raise will leave the building probably giving you even more hope for a higher finnish)

4: go ahead and play your game with the chips you won if you did......if you lost you have a + around 14 (ish)

I don't need to be paid for this advise but I did test it today

And what exactly has that to do with PLAYING Poker?
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 04:33 AM
(#14)
IonelG56's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 52
BronzeStar
By not sitting out and running the clock you get to the same position with a lot more money. But I would advise playing some hands, only good hands and don't invest to much money pre-flop. Only bet large amounts if the flop hit you.
Also if there are lots of layers in a hand and there is a flush/straight posibility out there you can bet someone has it and it would be risky to invest to much of your money in that hand.
I don't know if my advice is any good but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 05:37 AM
(#15)
eilat-one's Avatar
Since: Feb 2011
Posts: 14
it still is a stupid donkfest now and the fun of serious play like last month is now gone
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 07:28 AM
(#16)
Origin40's Avatar
Since: Jun 2011
Posts: 41
Perma-folding & clocking out for an hour plus is not the way to play these large fields. Sometimes that is dictated by dry pockets, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be getting in on the action - you just have to learn to measure your exposure to risk better.

Early & Mid positions, your play should be far more cautious, but your C1 & C2 hands can still be played if you've been at the same table for long enough to make solid reads on likely plays from your table companions.

Personally, during these early stages, I prefer not to play hands earlier than the HJ spot very often.

That means not playing every monster pocket you get dealt, without first paying close attention to your position played from and those in the pot before you. It runs totally counter to accepted MTT strategy, but it's probably the only coping mechanism we have with the current player fields and their calibre/decision making quality.

You'll be folding/calling a lot more than last month and raising a lot less PF.

As you get down to the last 20% of places, then earlier positions become "more" viable to play from with your standard C1 & C2 holdings, once again. I haven't managed to crack a top 1000 spot yet to see how the play changes, but based on experience on other sites (ie: the BLT where 40k players are often in at the start), you'd generally see some degree of normality return to the game by then.

Patience, is king though. If you don't have that, forget it.

EDIT : Removed link to a now "locked" thread.

Last edited by Origin40; Sun Jul 03, 2011 at 10:25 AM..
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 07:42 AM
(#17)
Origin40's Avatar
Since: Jun 2011
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsDntBlffMe View Post
Is it better to play in the max field (10k) or the ones with fewer runners?
Whether its a 7~8k field or a max at 10k players, it doesn't matter. You're going to see a very high attrition rate regardless until the field drops to around 20% of it's starting size.

Treat that 20% as your initial bubble to hit....then 10%. After that, you should start to be able to play the kind of poker we're used to playing most of the time in standard MTTs.

G'Luck out there - now, more than ever, it is needed.
 
Old
Default
Im Quite happy with the structure - Sun Jul 03, 2011, 08:38 AM
(#18)
cjrocknroll's Avatar
Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 34
I think it is actually easier to get point as after 15 mins about 3000 donks are already out then by hour stage still have about 1000 chips left and by that stage there is around 2500 people left because donks drop like flies and at 2500 stage u dont get minus points and can start playing when u get strong hands and if lose u dont get minus if win u can get deep and big points because the donkeys drop like flies wich is fine by me more donks the better and more points for me when they go out so I love this structure I havent had 1 minus game yet and im doing well..Just sit tight for first hour and limp or dont raise to much even if get a big hand as u will get reraised by some donk but in long run u will do betetr as fast as the donks make there chips they lose them.Good luck
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 09:23 AM
(#19)
Cairn Destop's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,477
BronzeStar
Sounds like the best way to test your theories on strategy is with the astrology freerolls. If you can consistently go deep in these, you have a winning formula. This month should be the easiest month for those members who are active, over 20 vpps, than next month. Remember your objective is to be one of the top 1,500 ACTIVE finishers. I'm willing to bet most of the influx are players drawn by the prospect of earning free money. These players will not be taking a test, nor are they going to go active for next month.

If I could still play in this league, I would go for the 20 vpps during the first week of play and then see how well I'm doing. Players in the top 200 should concentrate on earning the additional 130 vpps needed for the major prize when the Premier League starts in August. Next month, go for just the minimum vpps if you are in the top 550 places in the Open League since your goal is to advance.

Those in the Premier League should avoid earning those vpps if they are in the bottom 200 since the odds of staying are slim. If you are at the minimum vpps level and see that you would make the money at the higher vpps level, consider concentrating on earning the vpps for next month. Your objective should then switch from holding onto your high finish to just qualifying for the following month. Those who hold onto their place in the Premier League, and have earned the necessary vpps, can concentrate on a money finish.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 06:13 PM
(#20)
bindy67's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin40 View Post
Perma-folding & clocking out for an hour plus is not the way to play these large fields. Sometimes that is dictated by dry pockets, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't be getting in on the action - you just have to learn to measure your exposure to risk better.

Early & Mid positions, your play should be far more cautious, but your C1 & C2 hands can still be played if you've been at the same table for long enough to make solid reads on likely plays from your table companions.

Personally, during these early stages, I prefer not to play hands earlier than the HJ spot very often.

That means not playing every monster pocket you get dealt, without first paying close attention to your position played from and those in the pot before you. It runs totally counter to accepted MTT strategy, but it's probably the only coping mechanism we have with the current player fields and their calibre/decision making quality.

You'll be folding/calling a lot more than last month and raising a lot less PF.

As you get down to the last 20% of places, then earlier positions become "more" viable to play from with your standard C1 & C2 holdings, once again. I haven't managed to crack a top 1000 spot yet to see how the play changes, but based on experience on other sites (ie: the BLT where 40k players are often in at the start), you'd generally see some degree of normality return to the game by then.

Patience, is king though. If you don't have that, forget it.

EDIT : Removed link to a now "locked" thread.


man! i love poker but my last game i was completely card dead so had to stall for time. played one hand which i lost. i was at the table with at least 4 all in kings the entire game (one would get knocked out and another would take his place) and the rest were sitting out.

the all in kings were all russian, speaking in russian the entire game...two of them who weren't knocked out could've been colluding for all i know, certainly seemed that way.....yeah, i know...call the mod who comes and tells everyone to speak english, and wishes everyone a nice day....and then leaves, freeing them up to speak russian again.why bother???

and to make matters worse i stayed on that table for my entire game. i know you make your own luck, and i'm fairly good at making it happen.....but i guess i was freaking out. which is their intent i suppose.

in cases like this (card dead) do i loosen up or use the clock? i chose to use the clock as i like my ranking and i HAVE to get into the premier league. sure didn't feel like poker on my part though. very disappointed.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com