Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Poker School Skill Tournaments

Old
Poker School Skill Tournaments - Fri Jul 01, 2011, 05:24 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Well i played.. at least tried to play two of them today.. Anyway I'm interested in what u guys think about them.. I dont know, in my opinion, there are just way too many players (10000 max) and since it's a freeroll, no one could care less about what they shove PR with.. I liked the old PSO Skill League better...

Like the idea of 'Open' and 'Premiere' league though.. It's easy to earn 20Vpp/month, finishing in the top 500 probably wont be so hard either....

Cheers and see u at the tables!

Old
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 06:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2011
The current PSO July League is running at something like 23k participants. I don't think making the top 500 will be all that easy going forwards.

If you look at the leaders, these appear to be players who can hit several tournaments per day with ease, so the timing/staggering into 4 hour increments has really only emphasised the divide between the top players (who play all day every day, just about) and us "working" players, who might make 1 tourney per day on week nights.

Yes, it takes skill and patience to finish well in a 10k player field, but.....

It no longer takes the same kind of skill as previous months to win a decent price in the new monthly league. If you have no job/kids/life out in the real world, then you can take down a good prize every month from the comfort of your basement now. :P

I've started a thread in this forum and I'd urge all players disenchanted with July's league changes to go there and participate. You can find the thread here : http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...League-players

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 07:16 PM
(#3)
I agree

Liked what you wrote in your thread, I guess 3-division league could work, and I also think entry to PSO Skill should be ticketed.

Well I'll try to do my best this month, see what I can do... I'm playing 1 or maybe 2 tourneys/day since the difference in the timezone. First place looks really nice ..

Cheers & gl at the tables!

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 07:50 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin40 View Post
The current PSO July League is running at something like 23k participants. I don't think making the top 500 will be all that easy going forwards.

If you look at the leaders, these appear to be players who can hit several tournaments per day with ease, so the timing/staggering into 4 hour increments has really only emphasised the divide between the top players (who play all day every day, just about) and us "working" players, who might make 1 tourney per day on week nights.

Yes, it takes skill and patience to finish well in a 10k player field, but.....

It no longer takes the same kind of skill as previous months to win a decent price in the new monthly league. If you have no job/kids/life out in the real world, then you can take down a good prize every month from the comfort of your basement now. :P

I've started a thread in this forum and I'd urge all players disenchanted with July's league changes to go there and participate. You can find the thread here : http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...League-players
HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE POINTS SYSTEM THAT IS IN PLACE?? DO YOU THINK AS A POOR PLAYER WHO IS PLAYING MORE GAMES WILL BE GETTING POINTS AFTER A COUPLE OF WEEKS??
IF YOU PLAY YOUR BEST IN THE ONES YOU CAN PLAY I THINK YOU WILL SEE THAT THE PLAYER IN THE BASEMENT WILL STOP GETTING POINTS AND YOU SHOULD KEEP MOVING UP.
AND REMEMBER PSO IS NOT JUST THE LEAGUE IF YOU THINK IT IS YOUR MISSING OUT ON A LOT
OH AND YOUR OTHER THREAD IS CLOSED

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 07:53 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
lol at other thread is closed... wonder why?

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 09:02 PM
(#6)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Origin,

I did read some of your later posts which I feel were very informative and offered assistance to those experiencing a bit of disconcertion with the new league but this is the first opportunity that I have had to read your earlier posts.

Now, you got off on the wrong foot with Cookies and Roomik (both decent guys) but I think there are some valid issues that you have raised.

Firstly, I believe, it is relatively easy to qualify, for the premier league, if you can adapt to the new dynamic this month and probably even next month. That being said, there are a lot of players who play the way PSO recommends and find that they are all at sea with this new system. They are relatively new or inexperienced (beginners is the wrong word perhaps) and rather than play a type of poker that is alien to them, they end up getting involved and being sucked out. Now just because some can adapt, does it mean that these players who want to improve, want to play poker, should be left behind in the Open League. What happens if they are left behind there? They improve or they become disillusioned and stop playing. What about the others who know nothing of PSO, playing freerolls and going all in with any hand? Would it not be sensible to convert them to winning players both for themselves, and PSO/Pokerstars? Now I know some are really good players who just use the all in tactic to build a stack but what the hell are they doing playing a 10$ freeroll? There is huge potential for the long term in all of these groupings and PSO should be developing not alienating these people!!!

So I agree that some type of ticket to even know the basics is good for players and PSO/Pokerstars.

The next point is the schedule of the tournaments. Now, I believe PSO made an effort to distribute the timings in such a way to make it unviable to play 5 or 6 tournies a day and to cover a global market. Certainly the new schedule is not attractive to Europeans or Canadians or even insomniacs like myself. In the old system I could get home from work at 4pm CET and play 3 or 4 tournies comfortably. I could even stay up all night and play 6 but then I was dead for two days. I really envied those that could play 5 or 6 tournies a day over a month.

In the new tourney timetable, this should be virtually impossible, but there are those that are playing 5 and 6 tournies a day. Even if they only play 2 hours for each tourney, never run deep, there is something highly suspect here. I have yet to meet another human being who can play poker for two hours, sleep for another two, six times a day and go through the normal routines of life whether they have a job or not, for 5 days in a row (and I will be unsurprised if that does not stretch to 30 days in a row). Surely there is something fishy going on here and it needs to be addressed. Maximum of participation in two or three tournies a day seems a reasonable way to resolve this.

VPPS: 150 if you want to compete for the big prizes. A bugbear of mine because I believe PSO are encouraging players to play outside their bankroll and abilities with the carrot of a big prize. That does not make better poker players, instead it creates a bunch of lemmings who die off when they jump over the cliff. Shortsighted, short term and chasing the buck IMO. Its easy for the better and improving player to be blase and say it is working for me but what about all those falling by the wayside: lost customers and lost members of the PSO community.

Even more divisions: is it really a solution? I am not so sure. I believe every player has the potential to improve but if he only plays with those at his own level that potential does not materialise. I feel a handicap system something similar to that in golf is a possible way forward. I have no idea how it could be structured or implemented but it would mean being able to play with the very best and the very worst on an even playing field, maybe then players would really improve.

I assume I am very much like you Origin, I want to play poker, I don't want to have to fold every hand for an hour and a half before I play one like I did earlier tonight. I want to be able to outplay and out think, not just go all in with a hand that looks pretty. I watched a 90 man 3.50 buy in tourney the other day and by the time it got down to two tables, virtually everyone had the same stack. I watched a 45 player 30$ buyin and it was the same story. The difference in play was minimal, the aggression with an edge was the same.

There is no comparison with the Open league and I am pretty sure the Premier League will not be that much different, no matter how much PSO staff heralds it as the promised land.

Time for a rethink???

TC

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 10:11 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Hi Origin,

I did read some of your later posts which I feel were very informative and offered assistance to those experiencing a bit of disconcertion with the new league but this is the first opportunity that I have had to read your earlier posts.

Now, you got off on the wrong foot with Cookies and Roomik (both decent guys) but I think there are some valid issues that you have raised.

Firstly, I believe, it is relatively easy to qualify, for the premier league, if you can adapt to the new dynamic this month and probably even next month. That being said, there are a lot of players who play the way PSO recommends and find that they are all at sea with this new system. They are relatively new or inexperienced (beginners is the wrong word perhaps) and rather than play a type of poker that is alien to them, they end up getting involved and being sucked out. Now just because some can adapt, does it mean that these players who want to improve, want to play poker, should be left behind in the Open League. What happens if they are left behind there? They improve or they become disillusioned and stop playing. What about the others who know nothing of PSO, playing freerolls and going all in with any hand? Would it not be sensible to convert them to winning players both for themselves, and PSO/Pokerstars? Now I know some are really good players who just use the all in tactic to build a stack but what the hell are they doing playing a 10$ freeroll? There is huge potential for the long term in all of these groupings and PSO should be developing not alienating these people!!!

So I agree that some type of ticket to even know the basics is good for players and PSO/Pokerstars.

The next point is the schedule of the tournaments. Now, I believe PSO made an effort to distribute the timings in such a way to make it unviable to play 5 or 6 tournies a day and to cover a global market. Certainly the new schedule is not attractive to Europeans or Canadians or even insomniacs like myself. In the old system I could get home from work at 4pm CET and play 3 or 4 tournies comfortably. I could even stay up all night and play 6 but then I was dead for two days. I really envied those that could play 5 or 6 tournies a day over a month.

In the new tourney timetable, this should be virtually impossible, but there are those that are playing 5 and 6 tournies a day. Even if they only play 2 hours for each tourney, never run deep, there is something highly suspect here. I have yet to meet another human being who can play poker for two hours, sleep for another two, six times a day and go through the normal routines of life whether they have a job or not, for 5 days in a row (and I will be unsurprised if that does not stretch to 30 days in a row). Surely there is something fishy going on here and it needs to be addressed. Maximum of participation in two or three tournies a day seems a reasonable way to resolve this.

VPPS: 150 if you want to compete for the big prizes. A bugbear of mine because I believe PSO are encouraging players to play outside their bankroll and abilities with the carrot of a big prize. That does not make better poker players, instead it creates a bunch of lemmings who die off when they jump over the cliff. Shortsighted, short term and chasing the buck IMO. Its easy for the better and improving player to be blase and say it is working for me but what about all those falling by the wayside: lost customers and lost members of the PSO community.

Even more divisions: is it really a solution? I am not so sure. I believe every player has the potential to improve but if he only plays with those at his own level that potential does not materialise. I feel a handicap system something similar to that in golf is a possible way forward. I have no idea how it could be structured or implemented but it would mean being able to play with the very best and the very worst on an even playing field, maybe then players would really improve.

I assume I am very much like you Origin, I want to play poker, I don't want to have to fold every hand for an hour and a half before I play one like I did earlier tonight. I want to be able to outplay and out think, not just go all in with a hand that looks pretty. I watched a 90 man 3.50 buy in tourney the other day and by the time it got down to two tables, virtually everyone had the same stack. I watched a 45 player 30$ buyin and it was the same story. The difference in play was minimal, the aggression with an edge was the same.

There is no comparison with the Open league and I am pretty sure the Premier League will not be that much different, no matter how much PSO staff heralds it as the promised land.

Time for a rethink???

TC
DON'T YOU THINK LEAGUE HAS A HANDICAP SYSTEM???
AND DO YOU THINK THE PREMIER LEAGUE WILL BE LIKE THE OPEN???

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 08:31 AM
(#8)
To answer your questions Hemet:

I see no mention of any throttle or choke in the new scoring system taken from the German/Spanish leagues although I would want someone like Thanat to confirm that. I however have no problem with the scoring system used.

I am not a fortune teller but my guess is that the Premier League will be completely different than the Open but more or less the same as the old PSO League just with less money if you happen to earn 20VPPS and favouring those who earn 150VPPS plus.

However, as I said on another thread, I will reserve judgement until I see what improvements, if any, are implemented.

I hope that answers your queries.

Thanks,

TC

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 08:55 AM
(#9)
As always Topthecat, a great bit of reading. Best Wishes Gate.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 11:23 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
To answer your questions Hemet:

I see no mention of any throttle or choke in the new scoring system taken from the German/Spanish leagues although I would want someone like Thanat to confirm that. I however have no problem with the scoring system used.

I am not a fortune teller but my guess is that the Premier League will be completely different than the Open but more or less the same as the old PSO League just with less money if you happen to earn 20VPPS and favouring those who earn 150VPPS plus.

However, as I said on another thread, I will reserve judgement until I see what improvements, if any, are implemented.

I hope that answers your queries.

Thanks,
TC
WELL FROM WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT, YOU WERE PRETTY SURE THEY WILL NOT BE MUCH DIFFERENT, I THOUGHT YOU KNEW SOMETHING THE REST OF US DIDN'T
HAVE YOU ALREADY MADE THE JUDGEMENT THAT THE NEW SYSTEM NEEDS IMPROVEMENTS ??
IT HAS ONLY BEEN 5 DAYS, NOW IT MAY TURN OUT THAT THIS IS THE STUPIDEST THING THEY COULD HAVE DONE, BUT ONLY A FORTUNE TELLER CAN SAY FOR SURE. I WILL WAIT AND SEE BEFORE I MAKE A JUDGEMENT IT MAY TURN OUT TO BE THE PROMISED LAND WE WILL SEE

Old
Question
Poker School Skill Tournament query - Thu Jul 07, 2011, 06:32 AM
(#11)
Since: May 2011
It now seems that this tournament has been biased somewhat towards our Cousins from across the water as the 'early' tournaments 06:00 & 10:00 UK time have now been discontinued....

These tournaments are perfect for the players from Oz, NZ etc and the early birds in Europe would also have been able to enter these too.

They are announced as being available, but, they appear to get removed....?
Can anyone shed any light on this?

I fail to understand why this is happening, there are plenty of EU players that are willing and able to play in these tournaments whereas they are unable to play the 'later' tournaments.

Old
Thu Jul 07, 2011, 10:37 AM
(#12)
What I actually said Hemetdennid was that neither the Open League nor the Premier League would be different from the higher buy in games I mentioned where I feel the quality of poker is of a higher standard.

The Premier League standard should be of a higher level than the Open League but I personally see the standard being similar to the Old PSO League not that of the buy in games that I mentioned.

As PSO staff has said themselves once they have a few months data they will see how they might be able to improve the product and as I mentioned in my original post here there are areas that in my opinion need attention.

TC

Old
Thu Jul 07, 2011, 03:30 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSiVXL View Post
It now seems that this tournament has been biased somewhat towards our Cousins from across the water as the 'early' tournaments 06:00 & 10:00 UK time have now been discontinued....

These tournaments are perfect for the players from Oz, NZ etc and the early birds in Europe would also have been able to enter these too.

They are announced as being available, but, they appear to get removed....?
Can anyone shed any light on this?

I fail to understand why this is happening, there are plenty of EU players that are willing and able to play in these tournaments whereas they are unable to play the 'later' tournaments.
THE LAST TWO DAYS THEY HAVE DONE RESTARTS
THIS IS DONE BY POKERSTARS AND PSO HAS NO CONTROL OF THIS
HOPE THIS HELPS
GOOD LUCK

Old
Thu Jul 07, 2011, 03:47 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
What I actually said Hemetdennid was that neither the Open League nor the Premier League would be different from the higher buy in games I mentioned where I feel the quality of poker is of a higher standard.

The Premier League standard should be of a higher level than the Open League but I personally see the standard being similar to the Old PSO League not that of the buy in games that I mentioned.

As PSO staff has said themselves once they have a few months data they will see how they might be able to improve the product and as I mentioned in my original post here there are areas that in my opinion need attention.

TC
SO YOU ARE SAYING THAT THE OPEN LEAGUE IS POKER PLAYED AT A HIGH STANDARD ??
YOUR KIDDING RIGHT ??
I WONDER HOW MANY OTHERS FEEL THIS WAY ??

Old
Thu Jul 07, 2011, 04:32 PM
(#15)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
SO YOU ARE SAYING THAT THE OPEN LEAGUE IS POKER PLAYED AT A HIGH STANDARD ??
YOUR KIDDING RIGHT ??
I WONDER HOW MANY OTHERS FEEL THIS WAY ??

I think you misunderstood top's post.

Quote:
I believe he's saying that the higher buy in games have the higher standard, not the Open and Premier leagues.

Old
Thu Jul 07, 2011, 04:56 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuglia View Post
I think you misunderstood top's post.

Quote:

neither the Open League nor the Premier League would be different from the higher buy in games I mentioned where I feel the quality of poker is of a higher standard.

I believe he's saying that the higher buy in games have the higher standard, not the Open and Premier leagues.
DID I MISSUNDERSTAND OR DID HE MISS STATE ??

Old
Thu Jul 07, 2011, 06:12 PM
(#17)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
DID I MISSUNDERSTAND OR DID HE MISS STATE ??

I suppose that's always a possibility, but I can't speak for top.

Old
Fri Jul 08, 2011, 04:13 AM
(#18)
Ssuglia is right: I believe the standard of play is much better in higher buy in games compared to the Open League or to the as yet unplayed Premier League.

The Premier League will not be like the Open League but the standard of play will be no better than the old PSO, hence a lower standard than higher buy in games.

I hope that clarifies my position and thanks for the heads up Gate

TC

Old
Sat Jul 09, 2011, 11:44 AM
(#19)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
WELL FROM WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT, YOU WERE PRETTY SURE THEY WILL NOT BE MUCH DIFFERENT, I THOUGHT YOU KNEW SOMETHING THE REST OF US DIDN'T
HAVE YOU ALREADY MADE THE JUDGEMENT THAT THE NEW SYSTEM NEEDS IMPROVEMENTS ??
IT HAS ONLY BEEN 5 DAYS, NOW IT MAY TURN OUT THAT THIS IS THE STUPIDEST THING THEY COULD HAVE DONE, BUT ONLY A FORTUNE TELLER CAN SAY FOR SURE. I WILL WAIT AND SEE BEFORE I MAKE A JUDGEMENT IT MAY TURN OUT TO BE THE PROMISED LAND WE WILL SEE

i look forward to seeing how the tune changes when the americians get back into pso
think you will change your opinion aswell

Old
Sat Jul 09, 2011, 03:18 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLaws62 View Post
i look forward to seeing how the tune changes when the americians get back into pso
think you will change your opinion aswell

I'M SHOCKED ONCE AGAIN YOU ARE WRONG

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com