Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Was this a good fold......

Old
Was this a good fold...... - Sat Jul 02, 2011, 12:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

My main problem about how this hand played out was that i expected reedy_911 to raise the turn, as he was in the habit of doing in nearly every hand i had played against him. I then would have jammed accordingly. When he smooth called instead, it got me thinking what else he might have in place of something like an A9.
44 perhaps? AA? doubt it. AK? no, he would have re-popped me preflop with AA or AK from the SB, that much i knew about him.
Either way, the river didn't leave much room to think "oh maybe he just has a little 4".

What am i missing here? Was he just playing the big stack bully sensing weakness?
Or was i right in thinking he had that Ace and im lucky he didn't give me the option to shove the turn?

Old
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 01:03 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I think it's a very good play. When you bet the flop and they call, I'd immediately put them on an ace. The turn was a great card for you, but I like that you didn't automatically push with it... because with them calling the flop bet they should have at worst trip aces if not a higher full house. The river pairing the 4 seals it that they have aces full to your kings full and their bet shows it. GREAT FOLD!

Old
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 02:25 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
I'm not sure about the flop bet. I mean, it's better than betting at an A44 flop (which would be very bad as you're basically turning KK into a bluff). But what hands will he call you with here that you beat? Will he call you with 55-QQ? How many of those would he have repopped pre? Personally, I'm checking behind here. You're either way ahead or way behind and in position so you can try to keep the pot small. By checking behind you keep his range wide and allow him to bluff at you.

Your turn bet was way too small. You should not have had enough chips left to ever even consider folding the river.

You say you were going to jam over the top of him if he raised your turn bet, but look at the size of your stack and the pot! If you bet 1000 you only have about 3000 behind. That's exactly how much a standard raise is, so you're never getting a chance to 3-bet shove. You could maybe check intending to check-raise, but your stack isn't really big enough for that. I think you need to just shove the turn. The river is a gross spot you should never have been in. Yeah, maybe you make a few worse hands fold by shoving the turn, but there is so much dead money in the pot, and he's calling you with any ace for sure (which you are beating).

He could totally have a pair of 8s or be playing the board in this spot, haha.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com