Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Split the Difference

Old
Split the Difference - Sat Jul 02, 2011, 04:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
The recent "hullabaloo" that has been created regarding the new Global League has if nothing brought into focus one essential fact that seems to be being overlooked by many.

PSO is not the Skill League/Global League, the League is one feature of what is available here at PSO.

Sure the new marketing strategy designed to pull in new members from the freeroll Open League is going to pull in membership that have no concept of what PSO is and are only here for the League and potential profit, if they choose to take what they will without becoming part of PSO then so be it, for others spare a thought for what PSO can and should be.

What is PSO? The PokerStars PSO when stripped down to bare bones is a marketing tool nothing more than a means to an end in getting players to shell out fees and rake and increase profitability.

What makes the real PSO however is you me and everyone else who cares to create a community here, where people who wish to share their knowledge, love of the game, disasters and successes can come together and be more as a whole than we can as individuals, where when we just won 10c in a freeroll we can rejoice with those who understand, rather than receiving blank looks from a spouse who cannot understand how making such a pittance can create such joy.

I know there is much excitement regarding the new league but lets not let it become all consuming, the PSO is NOT the League, it is, I hope, far more.

Old
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 04:47 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogweed1964 View Post

What makes the real PSO however is you me and everyone else who cares to create a community here, where people who wish to share their knowledge, love of the game, disasters and successes can come together and be more as a whole than we can as individuals, where when we just won 10c in a freeroll we can rejoice with those who understand, rather than receiving blank looks from a spouse who cannot understand how making such a pittance can create such joy.
That's basically my take I guess ... like, in the ideological battle between capitalism and communism, human greed and the competitive drive to succeed won out because good things were shown to come of it.

I think it's up to the individual to decide for themselves whether it's worth their time and money, and each person will be different - for some it might be the money (or the chance to win money), for some it might be the chance to learn something new, or make friends, or just pass the time ... others might be hoping to make a career out of it ...

And when it comes to prudently managing one's finances to make sure one's turning a profit in the long-run, I guess that's up to the individual, eh?

Just some random thoughts - I enjoy your posts bogweed ... some interesting ideas ....

Old
Sat Jul 02, 2011, 08:15 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
+1, Dave.

As usual, you have a very valid point. The school as a whole is a vast resource of training, articles and most important, some very talented people who take the time to help people learn to be a better player.

The league games are only a small part of the school, and a rather unimportant part at that.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com