Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Is It Fair

Old
Question
Is It Fair - Sun Jul 03, 2011, 04:52 AM
(#1)
ruffus1111's Avatar
Since: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
BronzeStar
Hi all
New to PSO and just wanted to see what others thoughts are?


I see there are about 6 League Torneys a day
Is it fair that some might be able to play 5 of them and others can play only 3?
Should there be a limit to how many you can play in 24 hours?
So everyone has the same chance to get up the leader board?
Example

I play 3 a day
and win all three ( fat chance lol)
But another player plays 5 wins 2 and comes 2nd or 3rd in the other three
Now even though I've won 3 he will alway be above me because of the number of games he has played?
I know this all depends on were you finish but the stats should prove the more games you play, you have a better chance of being higher on the leader board?

Also
When your on the leader board and click any player I think it would be a good addition to see how many games they have played in and were they finished???


Sorry if any of this has been posted anywhere else
Respect to all
Ruffus
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 05:03 AM
(#2)
bindy67's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 132
hi ruffus

the tournies are spread out over 24 hours and some people stay up all night to play them....


when you click on any player you can see their profile IF they wanted to make it public....instead of clicking on them though try typing their name down....if they opt to let you see their progress it's there in black and white.some don't...which is actually a good idea i may adopt.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 05:05 AM
(#3)
DREAMCOAT's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus1111 View Post
Hi all
New to PSO and just wanted to see what others thoughts are?


I see there are about 6 League Torneys a day
Is it fair that some might be able to play 5 of them and others can play only 3?
Should there be a limit to how many you can play in 24 hours?
So everyone has the same chance to get up the leader board?
Example

I play 3 a day
and win all three ( fat chance lol)
But another player plays 5 wins 2 and comes 2nd or 3rd in the other three
Now even though I've won 3 he will alway be above me because of the number of games he has played?
I know this all depends on were you finish but the stats should prove the more games you play, you have a better chance of being higher on the leader board?

Also
When your on the leader board and click any player I think it would be a good addition to see how many games they have played in and were they finished???


Sorry if any of this has been posted anywhere else
Respect to all
Ruffus

Hi Ruffus, just a quick point on the leaderboard issue and player information available. You can already do this by clicking on their points score. (rather than their name). This will take you to the info you want, number of games played and points scored. gl. Dreamcoat

Last edited by DREAMCOAT; Sun Jul 03, 2011 at 05:08 AM..
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 05:13 AM
(#4)
casusbelli15's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 5
BronzeStar
I think the new times distributed over the day are now fairer to everone around the world.
If someone wants to stay up and play all 5 in a day there is only so long over a month they can sustain that level of commitment.
Remember the tournament format is more like a marathon than a sprint.

GL in the games and tournament.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 05:14 AM
(#5)
bindy67's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 132
well, you learn something new every day....clicking on their points is far easier....didn't know you could do that!!
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 05:36 AM
(#6)
ruffus1111's Avatar
Since: Jun 2011
Posts: 5
BronzeStar
thanks to all that have posted great help.

And I know what you mean about playing five a day lol

But do we think this should be looked at or just let it run as is?

Maybe only have the option to join 4 a day or something?
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 06:39 AM
(#7)
dR3am3R59's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 110
Have you ever heard of variance ? The bigger the number of games played the better the chances of beating variance. That doesn't make anyone a better or worse player.

I'm one of the players lucky enough to afford to play a lot of tournaments and I'm tired of people overusing this quantity over quality bs. Quantity and quality don't go together ? Do you know that an early exit weighed more than 2 ITMs around 1900 mark ? How did quantity made a difference ?

In June I managed to finish 19th, after a long bad streak. I played many tournaments, but I'm sure you'll find a lot of people that played the same amount or even more and finished in the late positions of the leaderboard. That's because you need a solid, consistent play for a good finish, it's not enough to play a lot.

And if anyone's bothered by the fact that some people chose not to sleep, work, go out, spend time with family, etc in order to reach their goal, I dare them to try the same and see how it works out.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 07:20 AM
(#8)
bogweed1964's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 774
Theres a similar thread which may be worth having a look at http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...4792-Pso-staff

Also a quick way to look at the number of games played by a player when viewing the leader board is to move your cursor between the columns "Qualified" and "Score", a ghost tab will appear saying "participated in: #". Thanks to Dan for pointing that one out to me a few months ago.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 08:58 AM
(#9)
joker41673's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by dR3am3R59 View Post
Have you ever heard of variance ? The bigger the number of games played the better the chances of beating variance. That doesn't make anyone a better or worse player.

I'm one of the players lucky enough to afford to play a lot of tournaments and I'm tired of people overusing this quantity over quality bs. Quantity and quality don't go together ? Do you know that an early exit weighed more than 2 ITMs around 1900 mark ? How did quantity made a difference ?

In June I managed to finish 19th, after a long bad streak. I played many tournaments, but I'm sure you'll find a lot of people that played the same amount or even more and finished in the late positions of the leaderboard. That's because you need a solid, consistent play for a good finish, it's not enough to play a lot.

And if anyone's bothered by the fact that some people chose not to sleep, work, go out, spend time with family, etc in order to reach their goal, I dare them to try the same and see how it works out.

You answered your own question

 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 09:06 AM
(#10)
joker41673's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,850
Being that I can't play I really don't care about the new PSO but the question of quality vs quantity I feel I know a bit about

Without quality you will not place positive points but without quantity a bad streak of cards could decimate your standing for the month

So a balance between quality and quantity is what most top players are seeking (in my own opinion)


 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 09:18 AM
(#11)
addyanne's Avatar
Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 3
BronzeStar
what about having an aggregate score
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 09:24 AM
(#12)
dR3am3R59's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker41673 View Post
You answered your own question

Oh I thought the point was that weak players get higher because of the volume of games they're able to play.

My bad then. Let's make it one a day and all play variance bingo.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 10:29 AM
(#13)
scorpion1367's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 123
we all play variance bingo as u like to call it only difference is if u play 20 tourneys a month versus 100 a month u would need a lot more quality finishes in the 20 tourneys as u do not have as many opportunities .....I believe the point the op was trying to make is that if we all competed in the same number or close to the same number of tourneys it would be a more level playing field.Quite frankly I do not care either way I give credit to those who have the stamina to play a hundred of these each month ,personally I do not have that kind of time available for the usual reasons...job ...family...etc.....I make the best of what I'm able to play and hopefully at the end of the day it is good enough to make gains in my bankroll as I have said before in other threads here, we should all be thanking pso and poker stars for the fact we even have the option of playing and making some money with no risk to our bankrolls whatsoever ...anyway I have rambled on long enough congrats on your great finishes the last couple months dr3am .....gl every1....scorp
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 10:45 AM
(#14)
19honu62's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by dR3am3R59 View Post
Have you ever heard of variance ? The bigger the number of games played the better the chances of beating variance. That doesn't make anyone a better or worse player.

I'm one of the players lucky enough to afford to play a lot of tournaments and I'm tired of people overusing this quantity over quality bs. Quantity and quality don't go together ? Do you know that an early exit weighed more than 2 ITMs around 1900 mark ? How did quantity made a difference ?

In June I managed to finish 19th, after a long bad streak. I played many tournaments, but I'm sure you'll find a lot of people that played the same amount or even more and finished in the late positions of the leaderboard. That's because you need a solid, consistent play for a good finish, it's not enough to play a lot.

And if anyone's bothered by the fact that some people chose not to sleep, work, go out, spend time with family, etc in order to reach their goal, I dare them to try the same and see how it works out.

With all understanding of the new point system you are wrong about quantity. Someone can now post / fold in every game of the month and get positive points! So quantity does matter.
Quality will be more important for those that can be patient and finish in the top 25% every game so do the math.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 11:01 AM
(#15)
dR3am3R59's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post
With all understanding of the new point system you are wrong about quantity. Someone can now post / fold in every game of the month and get positive points! So quantity does matter.
Quality will be more important for those that can be patient and finish in the top 25% every game so do the math.
I think one of us misunderstands the current point system. As I see it, a finish in the top 20% will not be enough anymore to always make it to the positive, the way it was before. The higher you are the deeper you'll need to go for the same points, the difference being in the limit that won't be around 1900 as the previous months. Am I wrong ?

P.S. It's the same system that was used in the German and Spanish leagues. I believe they didn't have a limit of tournaments played so I must be right.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 11:20 AM
(#16)
ronh1967's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus1111 View Post
Hi all
New to PSO and just wanted to see what others thoughts are?


I see there are about 6 League Torneys a day
Is it fair that some might be able to play 5 of them and others can play only 3?
Should there be a limit to how many you can play in 24 hours?
So everyone has the same chance to get up the leader board?
Example

I play 3 a day
and win all three ( fat chance lol)
But another player plays 5 wins 2 and comes 2nd or 3rd in the other three
Now even though I've won 3 he will alway be above me because of the number of games he has played?
I know this all depends on were you finish but the stats should prove the more games you play, you have a better chance of being higher on the leader board?

Also
When your on the leader board and click any player I think it would be a good addition to see how many games they have played in and were they finished???


Sorry if any of this has been posted anywhere else
Respect to all
Ruffus
you have a good point here ruffus,with almost 30k players in the global league and the tournaments being capped at 10k they should be capped at so many a day each player can play,with these tournaments being open to every one on poker stars this would meen that players in every league may be denied a chance to play because they couldnt make it on time
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 11:25 AM
(#17)
Da Sens Fan's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus1111 View Post
I see there are about 6 League Torneys a day
Is it fair that some might be able to play 5 of them and others can play only 3?
Should there be a limit to how many you can play in 24 hours?
So everyone has the same chance to get up the leader board?
The hours are spread out so that everyone has similar time-zone issues.

No there shouldn't be a cap. It's a combination of School and vpp grinder for Pokerstars. Aka everyone wins. We get to grind and learn poker for free with potential wins. The more you play, the more opportunity you have to learn.
Additionally, this would favour the bingo style quick strike players who could survive a variance swing and win it with no skill with a cap.
Pokerstars wants the vpp cash combined with the addiction factor of poker so they win with more games played too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dR3am3R59 View Post
Have you ever heard of variance ? The bigger the number of games played the better the chances of beating variance. That doesn't make anyone a better or worse player.
Exactly +1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19honu62 View Post
With all understanding of the new point system you are wrong about quantity. Someone can now post / fold in every game of the month and get positive points! So quantity does matter.
Quality will be more important for those that can be patient and finish in the top 25% every game so do the math.
That only works for the first few weeks, the points will be off the charts and just getting close to itm won't get you anywhere in terms of making the real cash.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 03, 2011, 11:54 AM
(#18)
scorpion1367's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 123
Just a quick question if anyone knows that would be great....are the choke points at higher point levels still in play? because if they are not then quantity of tourneys played will be a huge factor on the leader board.....scorp
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com