Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

PSO July Madness

Old
PSO July Madness - Mon Jul 04, 2011, 03:58 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
I am normally do not much of posting in forums, but I am so angered by this whole situation, that I need to get this off my chest. Okay, here's the thing:

I've started playing Poker around middle of March, essentially learning from scratch. First I signed up with Pokerstars.de, doing Play Money games only to learn the basics. Then I noticed those free-roll games and that you actually can make money without investing anything (okay, only a few cents, but anyways) and so I downloaded the client from Pokerstars.com to start playing those. Soon I noticed that I didn't know enough about Poker to make it into the money. Luckily I had already seen PSO and so I invested some time to learn about it and discovered how complex Hold'em can be. After I passed the quiz, I tried the PSO league. It took me a few tourneys until I understood, that the PSO tourneys were different, in a positive way. People here actually tried to play Poker. Nothing like those crazy freerolls. Of course, you still have your share of crazy donks, but it felt like 10% compared to 90% normal players.

Now it feels like 90% crazy players compared to 10% normal players!

Carrying on, both in May and June I was doing quite well for a beginner (146th in May, 243rd in June). To be fair I probably profited from the smaller number of players (the Americans being bannished in April), but anyways it gave me a sense of accomplishment.

And now this! I mean, if your really wanted to establish a Premier League for PSO members, why not take the best 1500 from the existing base and THEN start this Open League in August. Instead you force every PSO member to jump through the hoops of this craziness and really put them off, some of them probably for good. At least I know, that if I don't make into the Premier League this month I am probably not willing to do this for another month. It's not worth it from a money point of view and certainly not from a training point of view. The Open League just becomes a series of crazy satellites. But if enter a satellite or a freeroller then at least I know what to expect and adjust for it. To qualify for a league and having to do this about 30-50 times a month in the future to even have a chance to qualify I would consider this madness. If that's the case then I do not see any benefit of PSO for me in the future, because certainly the learning factor will be gone.

So that's my 2 cents, whatever it's worth.

PS.: And, of course, I can confirm all those examples given about ridiculous calls. We all know, that AA or JJ will not win all the time, but being called with T7 or the like just to see how two more Tens come to the board is very frustrating. What is the purpose of being patient and and waiting for top cards, just to getting thrown out anyways.

Last edited by Seth Gulch; Mon Jul 04, 2011 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: Removed a wrong statement.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 05:49 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Well said Seth - I think you have summed up very nicely what the rest of us are thinking.

The decision not to take the top 1500 from a previous month into the new top league is more than a little insulting. People worked very hard in previous months to make the cut and to be treated like this is a major mistake by PS in my eyes. I would have welcomed PS taking all those who qualified top 1500 regularly over the last 3 months into the new league (that would not have been me) as a thank you or at least as some sort of recognition because they are the ones who have made the skill league what it is.

Like yourself many on here seem confused by PS decision to open this up in such a fashion. Ok - we all get the idea of what they are trying to do - but perhaps a bit of consultation with the current members as they were would have been nice. You know - get some feedback BEFORE plouging ahead with decisions that are making the league a joke.

Like you - I wanted to learn more about poker and to become a better player - and also like you I have been able to get a few months of decent play under my belt and learn some new things. Now its just back to stupid play.

At the end of the day - I play freerolls when I am bored and have nothing else to do - the Skill League I used to make time for. Now I just do not see the league as a worthwhile investment of my poker time.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:24 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy8334 View Post
Well said Seth - I think you have summed up very nicely what the rest of us are thinking.

The decision not to take the top 1500 from a previous month into the new top league is more than a little insulting. People worked very hard in previous months to make the cut and to be treated like this is a major mistake by PS in my eyes. I would have welcomed PS taking all those who qualified top 1500 regularly over the last 3 months into the new league (that would not have been me) as a thank you or at least as some sort of recognition because they are the ones who have made the skill league what it is.

Like yourself many on here seem confused by PS decision to open this up in such a fashion. Ok - we all get the idea of what they are trying to do - but perhaps a bit of consultation with the current members as they were would have been nice. You know - get some feedback BEFORE plouging ahead with decisions that are making the league a joke.

Like you - I wanted to learn more about poker and to become a better player - and also like you I have been able to get a few months of decent play under my belt and learn some new things. Now its just back to stupid play.

At the end of the day - I play freerolls when I am bored and have nothing else to do - the Skill League I used to make time for. Now I just do not see the league as a worthwhile investment of my poker time.

Don't put everybody in "the rest of us"

If they did do pick the 1,500, only 250 would come from this league, because they would have to go with proportions and we were the smallest league

If you can't beat bingo players or donkeys, that means you still have lots to learn, sorry

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:28 AM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
Don't put everybody in "the rest of us"

If they did do pick the 1,500, only 250 would come from this league, because they would have to go with proportions and we were the smallest league

If you can't beat bingo players or donkeys, that means you still have lots to learn, sorry

Nice point of view.Appreciated.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 12:17 PM
(#5)
Point taken. I absolutely agree, that I still have a lot to learn and a good player will beat those bingo players and donkeys in the long run. However, in my humble opinion, is does contradict the purpose of a skill league which is hosted under the name of "Poker School Online". It's a school, I am willing to learn, but anybody ever having attended some sort of class would probably agree, that learning is much more efficient if you have mostly people around you, who are willing to learn with you. That I cannot see anymore in the current format. If the message should be, that this now has become an evolutionary process, i.e. either survive or die, then I have to accept it. But I don't need PSO for that, I simply can join ANY freeroll event to apply that learning method.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 12:30 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
but do you get the chance to win 5 grand in the hubbles?

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 12:44 PM
(#7)
Sighhh. I not just about the money. The PSO league tourneys were an opportunity to participate in a tourney where most people were interested in PLAYING poker. That I found very nice as a beginner. Except for the top 50, which really have a shot at the big money I would suspect many others feel similar. I mean I have a job, I don't need to win $15 a month by participating in 20-30 tourneys. It is just a nice side-effect. But the environment has changed now and unless you can play in the premier league (which means you have to wade through the open league first), the playing experience I have enjoyed the last three months is gone.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 02:57 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Gulch View Post
Sighhh. I not just about the money. The PSO league tourneys were an opportunity to participate in a tourney where most people were interested in PLAYING poker. That I found very nice as a beginner. Except for the top 50, which really have a shot at the big money I would suspect many others feel similar. I mean I have a job, I don't need to win $15 a month by participating in 20-30 tourneys. It is just a nice side-effect. But the environment has changed now and unless you can play in the premier league (which means you have to wade through the open league first), the playing experience I have enjoyed the last three months is gone.
Nice point of view Seth. Appreciated. Gosh - I can say it as well.

Sandman777 - Of course I still have a lot to learn and I am assuming you do too - if not - why on earth are you playing in a skills league?

I honestly think that both you and purpursky are missing the point. Give the 5k to hubble and ban me from playing hubble I really dont care it is nothing to do with money. I want to learn to play better poker and that is something I was happy that I was acheiving under the old format. Now it has been decided that the league is a good cash cow by making weaker players go chasing 150+ vpp each month - ok I accept that you are comfortably there at 150+ vpp each month - some of us are not. Why try and belittle people who dont have the time and money to throw at poker like you do but want to learn to be better without having to fight their way past "bingo players and donkeys" as you put it.

One of the best bits about the old league was the chance to talk through hands with other players at the tables. Now you are lucky if the players on your table are the same for longer then 2 minutes.

I dont need to win money in the league - but I would like to learn better poker.

Last edited by Andy8334; Mon Jul 04, 2011 at 06:25 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 04:08 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2011
Id say there be alot of FullTilt players here/joining as the sites down
not saying FT players are bad or good but that maybe another reason there's bigger fields of players!

Last edited by 0HighTimes0; Mon Jul 04, 2011 at 05:20 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 06:24 PM
(#10)
High Times - thats a very good point and one I had not taken into consideration although I still think it is the change of format that has caused most of the concern for some "of us" and "not all" before people get their knickers in a knot - ty.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 07:20 PM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2010
Learning poker means learning to adapt to new situations constantly. I see this as a NEW situation. Adapt and live with it

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com