Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

Points allocation - Staff clarification ?

Old
Points allocation - Staff clarification ? - Mon Jul 04, 2011, 07:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Or indeed any other smarty pants that KNOWS the answer

Are points awarded strictly in accordance with your finishing position in the tournament. Or are you only compared with other PSO members. For instance, if you finished 10th but the 9 above you weren't members of the school, would you receive the same amount of points as you would if you had won the game ?

Old
Relative Position - Mon Jul 04, 2011, 08:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Mar 2011
Very good questions.

If I may add another one in this context. Since it is always said, that only the 1500 having a PSO ticked will advance, would it be possible to show my "real" position, i.e. how many PSO members are in front of me? Place 3866 could mean anything as long as I don't know how many of thos 3865 are actually PSO members. I could be the 998th or 1501st of those with a PSO ticket and thus be in or out of the so-called Premier League.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 08:15 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2007
I believe that Sir Bog has already asked that question and has had it answered in the negative Sorry a thumb up is not really appropriate but the thumbup was meant for bogweed

Unfortunately site navigation is so slow, it may take me another hour to find the link

TC

Last edited by topthecat; Mon Jul 04, 2011 at 08:19 AM..

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 08:31 AM
(#4)
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...504#post286504

Well it did not take an hour but 15 minutes to find the link which confirms what I said. Thanks to bogweed for initially raising the question.

Why is it taking so long to load a page today?

Oh and Bog's conclusion which i agree with is
Quote:
Mathematically excluding the non-league players from the field size calculation yet including them in the finishing position allocation skews the scoring formula and points allocation.

Read more: Announcing the NEW Poker School Skill Leagues - Page 26 - PokerSchoolOnline Forum http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...#ixzz1R8hMaaYT
TC

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:24 AM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
(Administrator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
Or indeed any other smarty pants that KNOWS the answer

Are points awarded strictly in accordance with your finishing position in the tournament. Or are you only compared with other PSO members. For instance, if you finished 10th but the 9 above you weren't members of the school, would you receive the same amount of points as you would if you had won the game ?
The whole field is used when calculating the points. However the strength of field only counts the members in an event.

Good Luck
PSO STAFF

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 11:06 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSO-Staff View Post
The whole field is used when calculating the points. However the strength of field only counts the members in an event.
Okay. So if I'm interpreting that correctly a 10th place finish gets you 10th place points, regardless of who finished above you.

No strategy adjustment required then. Outlast all other members of the school and then go for the win. Or merely last as long as you possibly can

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 11:11 AM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...504#post286504

Well it did not take an hour but 15 minutes to find the link which confirms what I said. Thanks to bogweed for initially raising the question.

Why is it taking so long to load a page today?

Oh and Bog's conclusion which i agree with is

TC
I suspect the delay is because the forum's never been so busy.

Unfortunately top I've largely given up reading other threads at the moment because of all the negativity. It saves a lot of time if you merely ask a question that's relevant to you and avoid all dummy throwing.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 01:13 PM
(#8)
Quote:
I suspect the delay is because the forum's never been so busy.

Unfortunately top I've largely given up reading other threads at the moment because of all the negativity. It saves a lot of time if you merely ask a question that's relevant to you and avoid all dummy throwing.
Well Dark, I suppose it depends on your definition of busy. 87 members on line and 146 guests at the moment and people who were active at 2.30 and earlier are still factored into those figures. It is an improvement, at least we can say that.

As to the negativity and the positivity, most of the people posting seem to be only making comments that are relevant to themselves. There are, however, still a few who are not only interested in the "I'm alright Jack" attitude but in developing the potential of PSO, improving standards of play and etiquette and giving something back to the community. That the voices of sanity, the individuals who are trying to be constructive and make things better for everyone, are drowning in the "League of Greed" madness is a sad reflection on us all.

I already see most of what I predicted coming to pass, and the only positive I see that there are still some PSO players at the top, the ones that adapted to PSO have adapted to "transitionary July, they will also adapt to whatever the Premier League, throws up in August. However, in my opinion, that does not contribute to "much better players overall" as the stated goal of PSO; indeed I do not believe it will even contribute to greater long term rake over time, which I also believe to be an objective of the school.

I am not throwing the rattle out of the pram, nor am I stopping playing poker, I have just decided that trying to put forward positive contributions about achieving stated objectives to the PSO hierarchy is flogging a dead horse; (there's that horse again LOL). I have no beef with anyone else. I will watch the developments from the sidelines and will be the first to eat my words if they implement improvements that align with stated goals but based on my time here I will not hold my breath.

I will continue to play the league but not as much during the Summer, I just will not be posting because it is in my nature to continue standing up for what I believe and if I continued to post here, I would just not let this particular bugbear go. I can walk knowing I gave my all to get PSO to recognise that there is another way, that they are unwilling to even look at it, and treat it as a legitimate opinion, never mind consider it, is not a failing on my part but theirs.

BTW well done Darkman on your staking partner. I wish you great success.

I would like to wish everyone else the very best (I avoided using the word "luck" because luck has very little to do with it really)

TC

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 03:49 PM
(#9)
Darkman...how many vpps did u still need to hit 150..at the end of june....i needed 125 so i didnt even try..u do not have too answer......gl F.M

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 07:03 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahnsMom View Post
Darkman...how many vpps did u still need to hit 150..at the end of june....i needed 125 so i didnt even try..u do not have too answer......gl F.M
About the same as you Farrah. So I spent a couple of evenings playing the $15 SNG's.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 07:06 PM
(#11)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
About the same as you Farrah. So I spent a couple of evenings playing the $15 SNG's.
DID YOU MAKE ANY MONEY ??

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 08:34 PM
(#12)
Since: Apr 2011
like many of your replies to forums darkman ,and i should say iseecookies,your right and your play by example sets a great standard,i will stop posting my bad beats yes i get wound up,but i wll try harder to play well this month in the games i can play,and give the pso staff credit for there hard work in trying to improve the league,and also moxie thanks for your help aswell,your a good bunch with the right attitude, and all my fellow player gl aa

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:46 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
DID YOU MAKE ANY MONEY ??

3 x $7 Games - Staked $21 - Cashed $30.57

7 x $15 Games - Staked $105 - Cashed $175.39

Profit of $79.96 at a ROI of 63.46%

That'll be a yes then

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:50 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
3 x $7 Games - Staked $21 - Cashed $30.57

7 x $15 Games - Staked $105 - Cashed $175.39

Profit of $79.96 at a ROI of 63.46%

That'll be a yes then

ALL I NEEDED WAS A YES
THE REST WAS JUST WIND

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:54 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
But you know the really strange thing about those figures? I keep hearing that it cost money to earn VPP's

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 11:07 PM
(#16)
BronzeStar
Quote:
But you know the really strange thing about those figures? I keep hearing that it cost money to earn VPP's
IT DOES COST MONEY
JUST MAKE IT SOMEONE ELSE PAYING

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:49 PM
(#17)
i guess theres no more late registration in psos new league .....i used to watch darkman and datzang register late for tournys ...so i started doing the same it helped my game in maygl all F.M.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com