Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

10NL 6Max: 55 in BB vs. LAG in CO; Discuss My Line

Old
10NL 6Max: 55 in BB vs. LAG in CO; Discuss My Line - Mon Jul 04, 2011, 09:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
Just for fun, I thought I'd post one of my hands and have you guys try and figure out why I took a certain line. It might not be the optimal line, so if anyone can explain a better approach, that'd be great, too. But I'd like to see if anyone can figure out my reasoning at the time.

Villain is 35/30/8 over 30-35 hands. He is very active preflop, but pretty passive on the flop, with an aggression factor of only 0.8. Over six opportunities to c-bet, he's only done it twice.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO ($27.80)
Button ($10)
SB ($10.27)
Panicky (BB) ($11.67)
UTG ($15.56)
MP ($10.15)

Preflop: Panicky is BB with 5, 5
2 folds, CO bets $0.30, 2 folds, Panicky calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.65) 10, 8, 2 (2 players)
Panicky checks, CO checks

Turn: ($0.65) 2 (2 players)
Panicky bets $0.40, CO calls $0.40

River: ($1.45) 10 (2 players)
Panicky bets $0.50

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 09:54 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
If you know they're going to play the flop passively and that they'll open with a real large range, then personally, I'm betting the flop to try and take control of the hand (especailly out of position). Like the turn and river bets.
With them being that passive, I wouldn't put them on a big pair and with two 10's and 2's on the board, I wouldn't put them on either of those (if they had a 10, they should be betting the flop so they don't let an opponent draw to an overcard). I hope they didn't have it on you, but about the only hand I'd be worried about from them would be A8.

I'd say with your line, you're trying to represent A2.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:23 AM
(#3)
To be honest, I forgot about their c-betting tendencies and didn't look at that stat. I had my eye on all the others, though.

Regardless of their c-betting tendencies though, I like my flop check. In fact, because they c-bet so infrequently (apparently; they might have just run into a lot of un-c-bettable flops), I think that checking does more to take control of the hand than betting would. Do you see why?

I'm done talking for awhile.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:36 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
To be honest, I forgot about their c-betting tendencies and didn't look at that stat. I had my eye on all the others, though.

Regardless of their c-betting tendencies though, I like my flop check. In fact, because they c-bet so infrequently (apparently; they might have just run into a lot of un-c-bettable flops), I think that checking does more to take control of the hand than betting would. Do you see why?

I'm done talking for awhile.
Why give us his stats, then tell after that you never really looked at their stats? If the guys providing analysis are to fully break down your line dont you think that would be important for them to give a fully educated opinion? ducy?

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 10:55 AM
(#5)
That's the only one I didn't look at. I just thought I'd include it. I have two panels with five lines each per player, so if you want more statistical info, let me know. I got lots.

Now you guys break it down educatedly.

Why did I call preflop?

Why did I check the flop?

Why did I bet the turn?

Why did I bet the river, and why did I size it as I did?

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Mon Jul 04, 2011 at 12:09 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 12:27 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Why did I call preflop?
Mid pocket pair, getting in cheaply to see the flop
check to see if he makes cbet, board misses most of his range
Why did I bet the turn?
Bet turn because you feel you are ahead, your pair seems good

dont like the small river bet too much, he is priced in to call with any 2 cards, I would more than likely bet the pot, he is probably playing KQ+

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 02:04 PM
(#7)
Exacto on my preflop decision.

Board misses his exact holding most of the time, which is always a given. There's more to my check than that. But looking to see if he c-bets is definitely part of my check.

On the turn, why am I probably ahead, and why is betting good? Betting when probably ahead is not always +EV.

On the river, I'm not worried about pricing him in to draw, because no more cards are coming. If I want a call (i.e. I'm betting for value), then I want to price him in to show down his hand. So why bet the river, and why make it small?

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 03:58 PM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Why did I call preflop?
Because you never met a pair you didn't like!

You had to get up and go pee.

Why did I bet the turn?
You didn't. Your cat jumped up on your key board.

Because that was the spot you hit by throwing a dart at your "Magic Poker Decision Maker" dart board.

Seriously though, I will really look at this a bit later.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 04:14 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Why did I call preflop?
Because you never met a pair you didn't like!

I thought you were serious when I read this. It's true.

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 04:17 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
I thought you were serious when I read this. It's true.
lolololol

Seriously though...

If the action is not severe pre flop, I've rarely met a pair I didn;t like either

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 05:57 PM
(#11)
Here's why I checked the flop:

First, if I donk bet the flop, the villain is likely folding his missed hands, like AK and KJ, because a donk bet might look pretty strong, and even if it doesn't, it'd still be a leak to call me. If I check and he bets, I have an easy fold. Against a hyper-active c-bettor, I might call the flop, but against a regular or below-average c-bettor, this is usually a fold for me. I didn't hit, so I'm giving up the hand. In summary, I cannot bet for value, and I can't bluff better hands than mine, only worse. Betting has little value here. <---The fact that there is some value in donking is an argument to consider calling... I wonder if it's a smart play?

Anyone want to take a stab at my bets on the turn and river (or poke holes in my flop check)?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com