Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

0.05$ NL pre-flop 4bet with JJ

Old
0.05$ NL pre-flop 4bet with JJ - Mon Jul 04, 2011, 07:27 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2011
Both opponents seemed to be solid players, not too tight, but they knew what they where doing. I have been at this table for about 40 hands. Every now and then I open raised or 3bet a button raise. I think people thought I was TAG. I figured the first guy might have re-raised just for the hell of it, but the second guy certainly had a hand.

Is it reasonable to 4bet here with the jacks? How about the bet sizes? Shoving on the turn is ok I guess? If the turn had been a different card I would have check-folded I guess.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=BC910D099D

Old
Mon Jul 04, 2011, 08:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Not reasonable to 4bet with jacks. The reason is, if you 4bet, then all of the AQ and TT and KQ and 65s hands that might have 3bet or cold called go bye-bye and you're left at the mercy of anyone who happens to have AK or QQ+. Against that range, you're crushed, and I don't think 50ish big blinds is short enough to 4bet stack off with JJ. 25BB, perhaps. Since you're not deep enough to setmine, and even if you were, you're out of position, this is a fold for me. If you had a full buy-in and the effective stack was 80ish big blinds, and your opponents were pretty spewy post-flop, then there would be an arguement for setmining and calling to see a flop. If you had position on both players, say, if you were on the button, the small blind 3bet, and the big blind cold called, then the scenario is way different there, too. There, calling or 4betting has more merit.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Mon Jul 04, 2011 at 08:09 PM..

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:12 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I would have put them on an over-pair from the start. When you hit the set, since they're not on the straight draw.... you did the correct thing by putting them all in. Good pot and the right way to play it.

Yes, you could have gotten un-lucky, but I'd take that chance every single time.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com