Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Causeway Freeroll $125 Added MY vs SG (WHOTF flats EP 3-bet with AQs???)

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 09:15 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Post Deleted

Last edited by PlsDntBlffMe; Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 11:03 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
Every time I think, "Oh he's just overplaying a bad kicker," this happens. I'm beginning to suspect that any raise here means your TPTK isn't good. And yes, TPTK can't be all that, considering how often it is beat.

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
3B/folding on an 18 bb stack would be a major spew. Your 3b sizing is way too small, as a standard type of sizing you should start around 3x the size of the bet you're raising, and adjust up or down from there. In this case that would be 1200 chips which is 1/3rd of your stack, so just 3b jam. Maybe he still calls, but 3b jam >>>>> 3b small on an 18 bb stack. Anything under 20 bb if you're going to play vs. a raise, just get it in immediately.

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:19 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
they called a re-raise preflop, so they should have a decent hand. When they raised the flop, they could have easily had either AQ or 44 and you're in deep trouble against either one.

If you put them on AQ, then you need to muck, instead of raising back. If it was me, I'd have raised a bit more preflop but when they raise on the flop, I'd think that AK was probably in trouble and you need to fold and hopefully get the rest of my chips into a better spot.

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:56 PM
(#5)
Post Deleted

Last edited by PlsDntBlffMe; Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 01:54 PM..

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:59 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
3B/folding on an 18 bb stack would be a major spew. Your 3b sizing is way too small, as a standard type of sizing you should start around 3x the size of the bet you're raising, and adjust up or down from there. In this case that would be 1200 chips which is 1/3rd of your stack, so just 3b jam. Maybe he still calls, but 3b jam >>>>> 3b small on an 18 bb stack. Anything under 20 bb if you're going to play vs. a raise, just get it in immediately.
+1

Your extremely small raise over that initial raiser has no real "plan" to it...

1) It is laying 5+ to 1 for the initial raiser.
Your thought should be to bet for value (when you feel you hold the best hand), but to DENY correct odds for a call.
5+ to 1 odds leaves open FAR too many chances for weak hands to run you down at the right price to fit that criteria.

2) The bet is so small that it will hardly serve to isolate on the initial raiser.
Failure to "thin the herd" will tend to result in a situation where you must flop BETTER than a 1 pair hand to feel "comfortable" playing your hand strongly in a multi-way pot situation.
3Betting this small will only tend to encourage that multi-way pot, when you are holding a hand that would prefer you not encourage that.

3) Your bet has little chance to work as a "bluff".
This is not to say that AK should be treated as a bluff hand very often, but laying this much of a price is (almost) NEVER going to work as a bluff.

So...

If there is a highly aggressive player behind you who will tend to VIEW your tiny re-raise as a bluff, and your intent is to induce a shove so you can CALL, then the bet makes SOME sense. To me though, with your stack, AKo is a bit light to be trying that sort of "tricky" play. It would take an aggressor of a VERY specific type acting behind you to be viable, and calling would entail the strong chance you are going to be RACING small pp who are "ahead" of your AK, that you might have gotten to fold had you shoved.

So I agree 100% with Dave...

If yer gunna re-raise here, do so with a more "standard" amount in mind: like 1000 to 1300.
Since that amount if going to put you well past a committment point, rather than re-raising that amount when you cannot really fold afterwards, jsut put 'em all in if you feel AK stands a very good chance of being best.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com