Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Bit of analysis please

Old
Bit of analysis please - Tue Jul 05, 2011, 11:32 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011
Hi i would like some feedback on these hands.

The second hand with aces by the way... i lost to queens exact same way yesterday too and also lost another 2 times with aces plus once with kings. all on river.

Just wanting too learn, u can never learn enough even after ten years i have many weak points as all people do.

thanks

Mafia

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=AB019B5CCB

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=B7C55EEB69

Last edited by ChiltonMafia; Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 11:51 AM..

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:10 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
the aces hand, that's just a bad beat. The only thing I'd have done differently in it would have been to open-raise, instead of just calling.

The hand with the 4's, not a problem with how you played it. You kept as many in the hand as you could, then got one to put all their chips in with the worst hand on the river. Although, if they were playing loose, I'd have raised on the flop or turn... so they didn't draw into something.

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:22 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
the aces hand, that's just a bad beat. The only thing I'd have done differently in it would have been to open-raise, instead of just calling.

The hand with the 4's, not a problem with how you played it. You kept as many in the hand as you could, then got one to put all their chips in with the worst hand on the river. Although, if they were playing loose, I'd have raised on the flop or turn... so they didn't draw into something.
Ok so that was just a bad beat thanks JW shame i had two of exactly the same hand in under 24 hours. ouch lol.

And thanks i wasnt sure if i had played the 4s correctly, the guy who bet flop and turn was actually a really tight player, i figured he had queens, kings , aces and was just hoping no overs, the guy with the jacks i was a little unsure about.

Thanks for help JW

Mafia

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:33 PM
(#4)
(Head Trainer)
I think the 4's is ok, I'm not a fan of slowplaying at all as it usually just costs you money, but here you had the pfr driving the action and a calller in front of you, so the pot is growing. Still though, I think raising the flop is usually better, if the pfr does have the overpair you believe, he will likely get it in with you right then and there because everyone loves to put a player in your spot on a flush draw when they raise the flop. You want to encourage the action right now. For example let's say the pfr has 2 red kings. Raise the flop and he's stacking that off. If you don't raise the flop, a really bad turn card like the Ac will completely kill your action. Fast play >> slow play.

The AA hand, why are you limp/calling with it? Do you limp/call a lot? That would be the only legit reason to limp/call with AA, to keep strong hands in your limp/call range, HOWEVER limp/calling in ep is losing poker, so if you actually have a "limp/calling range", that's your first and biggest problem. Limp-reraise or just open raise yourself (I prefer the latter) preflop. The end result isn't likely to change on this individual hand no matter how you play it, but the preflop line indicates larger over all problems in your strategy.

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 12:49 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
I think the 4's is ok, I'm not a fan of slowplaying at all as it usually just costs you money, but here you had the pfr driving the action and a calller in front of you, so the pot is growing. Still though, I think raising the flop is usually better, if the pfr does have the overpair you believe, he will likely get it in with you right then and there because everyone loves to put a player in your spot on a flush draw when they raise the flop. You want to encourage the action right now. For example let's say the pfr has 2 red kings. Raise the flop and he's stacking that off. If you don't raise the flop, a really bad turn card like the Ac will completely kill your action. Fast play >> slow play.

The AA hand, why are you limp/calling with it? Do you limp/call a lot? That would be the only legit reason to limp/call with AA, to keep strong hands in your limp/call range, HOWEVER limp/calling in ep is losing poker, so if you actually have a "limp/calling range", that's your first and biggest problem. Limp-reraise or just open raise yourself (I prefer the latter) preflop. The end result isn't likely to change on this individual hand no matter how you play it, but the preflop line indicates larger over all problems in your strategy.
Hi Sir thanks for the input, So maybe i should be a little more aggressive you think ? I seem to check/call a lot on cash games it's like a bad habit i cant seem too get out of i wonder if this is what's costing me money in the long run ?

In regards too the aces i didnt mean too limp call i actually miss clicked that lol i would usually raise then shove if he re-raises.. maybe that's a bad play too.

Thanks for your input im taking all this advice on board i assure you

Mafia

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 01:05 PM
(#6)
(Head Trainer)
Check/call lines can be correct in some spots, but that's not what I'm talking about (although you probably do this too often as well). From what I can see you're preflop game is way too loose-passive, and your flop play is way too passive as well... this is definitely costing you money.

You may want to consider the small stakes version of Hold'em Manager or PokerTracker3 to do some self-analysis and drill down in these areas. Hopefully you've been saving your hand histories (if not, request as far back as you can get from the site) and download the free trial of one of these tracking softwares so you can dump your hand histories in there and identify some of the leaks in your preflop and flop game. GL!

Dave

Old
.. - Tue Jul 05, 2011, 01:13 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Check/call lines can be correct in some spots, but that's not what I'm talking about (although you probably do this too often as well). From what I can see you're preflop game is way too loose-passive, and your flop play is way too passive as well... this is definitely costing you money.

You may want to consider the small stakes version of Hold'em Manager or PokerTracker3 to do some self-analysis and drill down in these areas. Hopefully you've been saving your hand histories (if not, request as far back as you can get from the site) and download the free trial of one of these tracking softwares so you can dump your hand histories in there and identify some of the leaks in your preflop and flop game. GL!

Dave
I wouldnt say im loose pre-flop in regards too hands i play, i dont play bad hands is what im trying too say unless u mean something different dave. I have full version of Holdem Manager dave actually it's funny u mention that i just feel like im too much check/calling i wish i could kick that habit maybe it's because my bankoll is not huge that im playing scared poker..maybe that's the problem. I mean i have got from $50 starting stack i had 2 days ago too $125 today thanks too todays action but i still feel like im playing wrong hence the reason im getting caught with these badbeats on the rivers... i think i need to stop people getting too the rivers so often.

Thanks very much Dave

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 01:37 PM
(#8)
(Head Trainer)
Awesome! Glad to hear you're using a tracking software for self analysis.

If you want to throw up a screen shot for 6 max cash games of your stats from 2 reports, Leak Buster reports 2 and 3 (overall and position), your preflop game may be clearer. If you want to PM it to me if you're not comfortable posting it go ahead. You could type out all the stats too but a screenshot would be easier.

Dave

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 01:54 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Awesome! Glad to hear you're using a tracking software for self analysis.

If you want to throw up a screen shot for 6 max cash games of your stats from 2 reports, Leak Buster reports 2 and 3 (overall and position), your preflop game may be clearer. If you want to PM it to me if you're not comfortable posting it go ahead. You could type out all the stats too but a screenshot would be easier.

Dave
Hi Dave ok i have done what you asked and correctly i think, i only have 937 hands because i aint had this holdem manager too long so i do apologise i hope it is ok for you.

here is direct links too pictures buddy

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/report3s.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/34/report2r.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/148/report1vf.jpg/

Thanks again Dave

Last edited by ChiltonMafia; Tue Jul 05, 2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 02:14 PM
(#10)
(Head Trainer)
Small sample size is fine for what we're looking at. It simply means your results aren't yet reliable for long term projection, but it's enough to produce some insight towards your preflop stats.

You're stats indicate your preflop game is too loose in general for 6 max (it wouldn't be bad if you played a good LAG style, but you don't), and way too passive. You are in fact playing poor hands, many of them, you simply have to be when you're voluntarily getting involved with 1/3rd of your starting hands.

You're calling from the SB way, way too frequently at 46%. Playing raised pots out of position is one of the biggest leaks in NLHE. And you're calling 3B's way too liberally (80%). Use the filters to look at the hands you are limping in with, cold calling raises, and calling 3B's with. Look at the Preflop Cards selection to see this. It will give you some more insight into the leaks you have. Just refining your preflop game will help your long term results a ton.

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 02:20 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Small sample size is fine for what we're looking at. It simply means your results aren't yet reliable for long term projection, but it's enough to produce some insight towards your preflop stats.

You're stats indicate your preflop game is too loose in general for 6 max (it wouldn't be bad if you played a good LAG style, but you don't), and way too passive. You are in fact playing poor hands, many of them, you simply have to be when you're voluntarily getting involved with 1/3rd of your starting hands.

You're calling from the SB way, way too frequently at 46%. Playing raised pots out of position is one of the biggest leaks in NLHE. And you're calling 3B's way too liberally (80%). Use the filters to look at the hands you are limping in with, cold calling raises, and calling 3B's with. Look at the Preflop Cards selection to see this. It will give you some more insight into the leaks you have. Just refining your preflop game will help your long term results a ton.
Thanks Dave very much for insightful views. I shall take a closer look and definitely try too tighten up my pre flop range i didn't realise i was even this loose. But hey that's why i asked , if you dont ask you never find out. Thanks a lot.

So are my overall stats bad so far by the way ?

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 02:26 PM
(#12)
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiltonMafia View Post
So are my overall stats bad so far by the way ?
If you mean "bad" in terms of indicating a lot of leaks and/or large leaks, I would say yes. In short, the general stats indicate a serious lack of aggression in your game both pre and post flop. Again, sometimes a passive line is optimal in a given situation. If passive lines are your "standard" game however, that is not good news.

Your asking the questions and starting to take a close, impartial look at it is a big step in the right direction.

Dave

Old
Tue Jul 05, 2011, 02:32 PM
(#13)
Quote:
If you mean "bad" in terms of indicating a lot of leaks and/or large leaks, I would say yes. In short, the general stats indicate a serious lack of aggression in your game both pre and post flop. Again, sometimes a passive line is optimal in a given situation. If passive lines are your "standard" game however, that is not good news.

Your asking the questions and starting to take a close, impartial look at it is a big step in the right direction.

Dave
Ok thanks Dave i shall save everything you have said and this is defiantly a great help to me. Your a great person. Thank You very much sir.

Mafia

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com