Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

How I Won My First PSO League

View Poll Results: What are your strategies in PSO?
Play tight only 3 18.75%
Play premium hands only 2 12.50%
Play tight, premium hands and downsize the field 5 31.25%
All of the above 6 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old
Lightbulb
How I Won My First PSO League - Tue Jul 05, 2011, 07:24 PM
(#1)
SarahCandatu's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
ChromeStar
True to what I've posted in my last blog, the strategy of play that I would bring into the table proves me right. My strategy to sit tight, use my time to downsize the field, and play premium hands. To my surprise it works.

Looking at my stats, I played, most of the time, just about 20% of the hands that was dealt. And with luck on my side, I picked up AA and KK at least once. I really don't have to play that many hands when the field is big, and since most of the time, at least in this league, a great number of the players are the type "donkeys", "idiots", "fish" to some. (LOL). This is not "THE BIG GAME" wherein the hands to be played is only 150. Although all through out the tourney, it could sum up to around, yes, 150 hands total.

The final table is not new to me. I did the same, played premium hands and a bit wider range of face cards and speculative hands that improved. The heads-up is not new to me, too. With a 5:1 chip advantage over my opponent, the game is over in less than 30 hands.

With the 1st place finish, I made a jump from 148 to 28 on the leaderboard.

And it came with US$5.59 to start me yet another NO-DEPOSIT poker journey.

Read more: Blogs – Poker School Online: Learn Poker Strategy, Odds and Tells http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blo...#ixzz1RHBMygSM
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 01:14 PM
(#2)
oBaylo's Avatar
Since: Apr 2011
Posts: 13
For the first hour at least, I would only play hands like AA and KK, maybe AK depending on my table. Use all of the time provided to eek out those extra places!
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 03:04 PM
(#3)
TrumpinJoe's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,557
** Moved **
 
Old
Default
Tue Jul 12, 2011, 04:49 AM
(#4)
Origin40's Avatar
Since: Jun 2011
Posts: 41
Excuse me if I look at your performance in July's league and :LOL: hard

You're not employing skill - you're employing nothing more than play-rate and field attrition.

AA/KK eh? Nothing new there, except the promotion of slow tournament death due to paralysing hand-ranges which are entirely inappropriate for fields of up to 10k players in size.

If you can pass on some information that's actually valuable for the new format, you'll hear commendation from me.

This.....this is simply crowing about mediocre and predictable play for the sake of your own overblown ego.

Thanks, but no thanks.....I'll stick to what works for me :P
 
Old
Default
Tue Jul 12, 2011, 04:28 PM
(#5)
Andy8334's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 62
Originally posted by cheesed off from West brom - mind you with a team like that I would be fairly cheesed off as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin40 View Post
Excuse me if I look at your performance in July's league and :LOL: hard

You're not employing skill - you're employing nothing more than play-rate and field attrition.

AA/KK eh? Nothing new there, except the promotion of slow tournament death due to paralysing hand-ranges which are entirely inappropriate for fields of up to 10k players in size.

If you can pass on some information that's actually valuable for the new format, you'll hear commendation from me.

This.....this is simply crowing about mediocre and predictable play for the sake of your own overblown ego.

Thanks, but no thanks.....I'll stick to what works for me :P
It is always funny how, whenever someone posts something they are happy about to do with poker, someone else comes on and decries it.

Whats wrong with crowing about a win??? Your detraction of it comes across as simple jelousy. If you had come on and offered something concrete against the type of play being discussed then I would sit up and listen. Sadly you did nothing of the sort except bitch about another players good fortune.
 
Old
Default
Tue Jul 12, 2011, 08:19 PM
(#6)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy8334 View Post
Originally posted by cheesed off from West brom - mind you with a team like that I would be fairly cheesed off as well.



It is always funny how, whenever someone posts something they are happy about to do with poker, someone else comes on and decries it.

Whats wrong with crowing about a win??? Your detraction of it comes across as simple jelousy. If you had come on and offered something concrete against the type of play being discussed then I would sit up and listen. Sadly you did nothing of the sort except bitch about another players good fortune.

++++ 1000


 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 07:25 AM
(#7)
77wopke77's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 482
BronzeStar
sitting tight thinking calculating ant waiting ended me in 2 tours in negative hands just because of the luck factor didn't participated with me! when my great hand finaly appeared (AQ after 30 back to back folds) i got donked out! so it sure pays to be patience and calculated but luck is needed against all the morons
 
Old
Default
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 11:19 AM
(#8)
Origin40's Avatar
Since: Jun 2011
Posts: 41
And you respond in kind, Andy....

/troll
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 05:20 AM
(#9)
Andy8334's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 62
No m8 - what I did was disagree with your comments.

What you did was insult another player.
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 06:32 AM
(#10)
Toonarmy1566's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahCandatu View Post
True to what I've posted in my last blog, the strategy of play that I would bring into the table proves me right. My strategy to sit tight, use my time to downsize the field, and play premium hands. To my surprise it works.

Looking at my stats, I played, most of the time, just about 20% of the hands that was dealt. And with luck on my side, I picked up AA and KK at least once. I really don't have to play that many hands when the field is big, and since most of the time, at least in this league, a great number of the players are the type "donkeys", "idiots", "fish" to some. (LOL). This is not "THE BIG GAME" wherein the hands to be played is only 150. Although all through out the tourney, it could sum up to around, yes, 150 hands total.

The final table is not new to me. I did the same, played premium hands and a bit wider range of face cards and speculative hands that improved. The heads-up is not new to me, too. With a 5:1 chip advantage over my opponent, the game is over in less than 30 hands.

With the 1st place finish, I made a jump from 148 to 28 on the leaderboard.

And it came with US$5.59 to start me yet another NO-DEPOSIT poker journey.

Read more: Blogs – Poker School Online: Learn Poker Strategy, Odds and Tells http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/blo...#ixzz1RHBMygSM
And what have you done since your 1st place finish?
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 08:50 AM
(#11)
Andy8334's Avatar
Since: May 2011
Posts: 62
@ToonArmy1566

Apart from staying 1518 places above you or in addition to that?
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 10:04 AM
(#12)
yahooza1's Avatar
Since: Mar 2011
Posts: 141
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy8334 View Post
@ToonArmy1566

Apart from staying 1518 places above you or in addition to that?
there's no need to be mean, i believe he was asking the original poster that question as in has he increased on his winnings

how did this turn into such a negative thread??

congrats on the win dude, hope there are many more.

good luck
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 11:26 AM
(#13)
Toonarmy1566's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy8334 View Post
@ToonArmy1566

Apart from staying 1518 places above you or in addition to that?
Before the league changed, i had over 10 final tables including 2 1st places, month by month i improved my poker (which is the point of joining a poker SCHOOL) in june, i cashed for $3 which is extraordinary considering that on the 19th june i had 1 person below me in the league and i had 1290 points due to me being on tilt. all i was saying was, what have you done since your 1st place, because the OP seemed to be trying to tell us how to play, sitting out, clock sucking and playing premium hands only may work once in a while but you have to gamble a little to do well in any poker game. so do your homework andy before quoting my league position. i wont go on about the times when i won over $1300 in freerolls, i will leave that for another time, maybe when you have won the same we can compare strategies see you in the premier league, maybe
 
Old
Default
I know, I know!! - Thu Jul 14, 2011, 12:48 PM
(#14)
!!!111Dan's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonarmy1566 View Post
.... on the 19th june i had 1 person below me in the league .....
I'm gonna go out on a limb here...
??

 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 01:03 PM
(#15)
Toonarmy1566's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb here...
??

i dont know who, i just know i was 2nd from bottom, and went on to make $3not bad for the biggest donk in here (allegedly)
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 02:15 PM
(#16)
jf70's Avatar
Since: Feb 2009
Posts: 88
BronzeStar
I love how 1. we have threads devoted to people bragging 2. all the poll options basically mean the same thing

I haven't won yet although I did go out with AQ vs 96 which was kind of stupid, i had 300K at that point. But my strategy was much more complex than just being a nit. And frankly you need a lot of luck to win these, it's not like the rankings in each tourney reflect exactly players' relative skill..
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 02:32 PM
(#17)
SarahCandatu's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
ChromeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin40 View Post
Excuse me if I look at your performance in July's league and :LOL: hard

You're not employing skill - you're employing nothing more than play-rate and field attrition.

AA/KK eh? Nothing new there, except the promotion of slow tournament death due to paralysing hand-ranges which are entirely inappropriate for fields of up to 10k players in size.

If you can pass on some information that's actually valuable for the new format, you'll hear commendation from me.

This.....this is simply crowing about mediocre and predictable play for the sake of your own overblown ego.

Thanks, but no thanks.....I'll stick to what works for me :P
No sir, I'm not after commendation. I just shared my thought. And it's not even bragging. A lot of thanks to everyone who shared their opinion, negative or positive. It helps me understand how to cope up with situations.

Last edited by SarahCandatu; Thu Jul 14, 2011 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: wrong grammar
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 02:37 PM
(#18)
SarahCandatu's Avatar
Since: Sep 2010
Posts: 27
ChromeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf70 View Post
I love how 1. we have threads devoted to people bragging 2. all the poll options basically mean the same thing

I haven't won yet although I did go out with AQ vs 96 which was kind of stupid, i had 300K at that point. But my strategy was much more complex than just being a nit. And frankly you need a lot of luck to win these, it's not like the rankings in each tourney reflect exactly players' relative skill..
Sir I think it's not about bragging rights... It's just pure sharing. By the way, here's how I fared so far. My 5 best finish:

1. 1st / 9594
2. 31st / 9945
3. 51st / 7876
4. 59th / 6763
5. 109th / 8838

Last edited by SarahCandatu; Thu Jul 14, 2011 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: additional info
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 03:22 PM
(#19)
jf70's Avatar
Since: Feb 2009
Posts: 88
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahCandatu View Post
Sir I think it's not about bragging rights... It's just pure sharing. By the way, here's how I fared so far. My 5 best finish:

1. 1st / 9594
2. 31st / 9945
3. 51st / 7876
4. 59th / 6763
5. 109th / 8838
Why, thank you for sharing

Last edited by jf70; Thu Jul 14, 2011 at 03:56 PM..
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 03:34 PM
(#20)
!!!111Dan's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,290
What is wrong with you JF?.....

didn't mean to include signature....

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Thu Jul 14, 2011 at 03:35 PM.. Reason: dam signature,,,gotta remeber to always check it
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com