Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

VPP?

Old
Question
VPP? - Wed Jul 06, 2011, 09:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi all, i m new here at PSO.....

Wanna ask what is VPP and how to earn it.... tq.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 09:52 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
VPPS are earned through the rake and fees paid in cash games. If you check the tourneys, you'll see them listed as $1.00 + 0.10, which means you pay a fee of 10¢. That fee earns you 0.55 vpps. Thus, it will cost you approximately $44 to earn 20 vpps through tournament play. Multiply this by 7.5 to calculate your maximum cost for the 150 vpps needed for the big prize.

You'll find most members play the ring games for vpps. The reason is cost. Believe it or not, you do earn vpps by folding your hand. Note, I said fold. Do not sit out as that earns you nothing. I suggest you check out the new members FAQ for more information about vpps.

Just remember that Fpps are worthless.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 09:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2010
Can always count on the ol' hedgehog for info on this.

Welcome ultraman..and yeah..it's hard to hate your avatar. (From the other thread)

To see how many vpps you have, either click on cashier and then vip status, or click on your vip status or progress bar in the top left corner of the main pokerstars lobby.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 10:21 AM
(#4)
Cairn Destop - Thanks for your reply, now i understand more bout VPP.

!!!111Dan - Thanks for reply, ''Can always count on the ol' hedgehog for info on this''? what this suppose to mean?

More question though... So playing the PokerSchoolSkillLeague wont earn any VPP?

Then if i didnt earn VPP means that i m not qualified for PokerSchool Premier Skill League on August even is i in top 1500places??

Last edited by ultramanAK; Wed Jul 06, 2011 at 10:26 AM..

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 10:34 AM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramanAK View Post
Cairn Destop - Thanks for your reply, now i understand more bout VPP.

!!!111Dan - Thanks for reply, ''Can always count on the ol' hedgehog for info on this''? what this suppose to mean?

More question though... So playing the PokerSchoolSkillLeague wont earn any VPP?

Then if i didnt earn VPP means that i m not qualified for PokerSchool Premier Skill League on August even is i in top 1500places??
The ol' hedgehog is a nickname for Cairn.

Correct...no vpps for playing in pso.

Correct on the last question too...you need to be in top 1500 and have at least 20 vpps earned this month in order to qualify for the premier league...still lots of time.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 10:37 AM
(#6)
best bet so far for VPP this month is the .01/.02 PLO tables. There are serious maniacs playing on those tables, just buy in for 80 cents and fold everything unless you happen to see a cheap flop (rare since these idiots raise 99% of the time). The VPPs will roll in, I've seen pots up to $20 on these tables with donks going to war with each other. Often 2 pair or worse is winning these pots.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 10:48 AM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
best bet so far for VPP this month is the .01/.02 PLO tables. There are serious maniacs playing on those tables, just buy in for 80 cents and fold everything unless you happen to see a cheap flop (rare since these idiots raise 99% of the time). The VPPs will roll in, I've seen pots up to $20 on these tables with donks going to war with each other. Often 2 pair or worse is winning these pots.

So how much you need to earn 20+vpp playin these tables..?

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 11:26 AM
(#8)
You can easily get 20+ VPP on one of these loose tables with just 80 cents buyin in a couple of hours. I do it all the time. Just sort the lobby by average pot size and get on the table with the highest average pot, or one with a $1 or more average.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 11:36 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
You asked how much it will cost to earn the 20 vpps in rings. Good question and one that is almost impossible to answer. I said almost. Reason is, it depends on the game played and the insanity of the other players. I have played Omaha high/low and earned 20 vpps for less than $2.00. I have done the same in limit, and no limit hold'em. Best to figure you'll need a bankroll equal to half the vpps just to be safe. I'll also give you my tips from when I played:

1 --- go to a table you can afford Suggest anything under 10¢/20¢ tables
2 --- check to be sure the average hand is over the 20¢ minimum (rake starts here)
3 --- find a table that is almost full (8-9 of 10 --- 5 of 6)
4 --- join it
5 --- never sit out, but always consider folding your best option

As stated earlier, if you get to a table where the players are betting huge, you'll earn points without spending more than the blinds. No lie, my first time playing cash games I got 15 points and it cost me eight blinds, a total of 24¢.

As to where the name hedgehog comes from, let me suggest you google my handle. Cairn Destop is the only one out on the internet. Even if Google keeps asking if you mean cain desktop.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 11:48 AM
(#10)
Since: Apr 2011
Great.. thank you guys..

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 11:52 AM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
You asked how much it will cost to earn the 20 vpps in rings. Good question and one that is almost impossible to answer. I said almost. Reason is, it depends on the game played and the insanity of the other players. I have played Omaha high/low and earned 20 vpps for less than $2.00. I have done the same in limit, and no limit hold'em. Best to figure you'll need a bankroll equal to half the vpps just to be safe. I'll also give you my tips from when I played:

1 --- go to a table you can afford Suggest anything under 10¢/20¢ tables
2 --- check to be sure the average hand is over the 20¢ minimum (rake starts here)
3 --- find a table that is almost full (8-9 of 10 --- 5 of 6)
4 --- join it
5 --- never sit out, but always consider folding your best option

As stated earlier, if you get to a table where the players are betting huge, you'll earn points without spending more than the blinds. No lie, my first time playing cash games I got 15 points and it cost me eight blinds, a total of 24¢.

As to where the name hedgehog comes from, let me suggest you google my handle. Cairn Destop is the only one out on the internet. Even if Google keeps asking if you mean cain desktop.

cairn

cairn(kairn)
(plural cairns
n

1. pile of stones used as a marker : a pile of stones set on a hill or mountain to mark a spot for walkers and climbers, or as a memorial to somebody who died there

2. A breed of dog

[Mid-16th century. <Gaelic carn 'heap of stones']

-cairned, , adj

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 11:59 AM
(#12)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
Based on my last 1c/2c PLO session (when I played 4 tables - 9 max tables not 6 max - at once for about 2 hours)...I have to agree 100% with what Merc says here. I bought in for 1.60 each time and came out with a not too shabby 8 dollars profit and earned over 40 VPPs. There were a couple of pots that went over $10 which helped bump up the VPP earning rate a little...even when i folded preflop...i would suggest that while you are clock running (assuming you do clock run) in Open League to open a few 1c/2c PLO tables to keep your mind sharp. It can help ease the monotony of clock running then folding each hand in Open League for the best part of 2 hours lol.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 12:26 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
Also keep in mind that your VPP's have 2 different totals--monthly VPP's (which reset to zero at the beginning of every month) and VPP's for the year (which continue to accumulate).

Basically if your goal is to earn 20 VPP's for the month and be active for the lower payouts,then you have to get 20 VPP's in July to be "active" in August,20 in August for September and so on. The same applies for the 150 VPP barrier.

Outside of PSO VPP monthly and yearly quotas are what determine your "Star" status---silver,gold and platinum. There is also Nova and Super Nova. The lowest--Silver Star--requires 750 VPP's a MONTH to obtain,but it does come with some bonuses that make it a worthy target (though these bonuses really start to get good from Gold Star and up).

You also use VPP's to clear any deposit bonuses that may be available to you if you have deposited.

As to FPP's you'll notice that you acquire these as you are acquiring your VPP's and at the same rate. These never reset and always accumulate UNLESS you use them and that is where their value lies. They have no part in determining your prize level status in PSO,or for Star status and clearing bonuses. But they CAN help you build your BR,here's how...

1. FPP VIP Tourneys

I'm guessing that you are a Bronze Star right now so the main place that you may want to consider using your FPP's are in the 10,20 and/or 50 FPP Tournaments (look in the VIP Tournament tab). The FPP's are the entry fee and these tournaments have cash prize pools ($500,$1000 and $2000 respectively). If you are in the early stages of trying to build up a Bankroll then a strong cash or two in one of these can be a good step in the right direction. Keep in mind that once used however those FPP's are gone forever. (For example say you have 17.6 FPP's and enter the 10 FPP Tourney---you will then have 7.6 FPP's left and have to build again.)

2. Satellite entries.

Once you have gotten a solid footing in building a Bankroll many peeps think that it's better to hoard your FPP's and use them when things like the Fall Championship of ON-line Poker (FCOOP),for example,come along and use your FPP's to try and win your way into a really big opportunity via a Satellite qualifier (many of these require a "steps",i.e. multi-stage approach). There are also always satellites running for the standard bigger games as well. Go to the Satellite tournament tab and then sub-tab for FPP entries. Personally I strongly advocate using your FPP's for THIS purpose once you have gotten a decent Bankroll started. Until then the 10,20 and 50 FPP tourneys aren't a bad idea (but if you can build your roll without using FPP's in that way that may be preferable as the satellite chances--while not often easy to accomplish--provide the chance for a much,much bigger payday).

Hope this was helpful.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 12:41 PM
(#14)
(Head Trainer)
http://www.pokerstars.com/vip/

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 01:11 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
You could always just concentrate on playing poker within your bankroll, and watch the VPPs and FPPs accumulate.

20 in a month is really not that much.

Find a game and level your comfortable with and concentrate on how you're playing, not how many points you rack up. You'd be surprised at how many points you may have at the end of the month.

Old
Wed Jul 06, 2011, 04:16 PM
(#16)
Great reply... thanks for all the info.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com