Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

USA PSO Skill League?

Old
USA PSO Skill League? - Thu Jul 07, 2011, 02:28 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
For some players, this may seem a dumb idea, but has Poker Stars considered a Play Money Skill League for US players to compete in?

Obviously, there would be no cash involved, but Skill League for me was mostly about enhancing my poker playing skills and competing with other players doing the same.

I was so disgusted with the US banning our online poker, I quit playing online for a few months, but am now back at it on the play money tables which leaves much to be desired.

Eventually, I think, US players will be playing again for stakes online. Until then, PS can retain some loyal US PSO players, maybe, with a Play Money Skill League? Maybe, they could give top players PSO shirts or hats or something ?? I would play just for competitive recognition, That's what I always enjoyed in the Monthly Skill league anyway.

Good luck out there.
Miss you, PSO!

Old
Thu Jul 07, 2011, 02:33 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2010
+100

Old
Thu Jul 07, 2011, 02:36 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
They would not even be able to give you a hat

Old
Thu Jul 07, 2011, 03:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2011
I would play something like that strictly for braggin' rights (not that i'd be the one braggin') until my government pulled its head out... love this idea! stack em high! MT

Old
Just an fyi... - Thu Jul 07, 2011, 03:33 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
The Drunk Tank will be starting a PSO like tourney in August. We are still working out the details. If you're interested you can PM me.

Tits

Old
Thu Jul 07, 2011, 03:50 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
won't you be restricted on my member numbers ?

Or do you think you can Persuade PokerStars to let you have unlimited membership ?

I hope so, because that would be awesome.

Best of luck in this endeavour.

Old
Wink
: ) - Thu Jul 07, 2011, 04:14 PM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
I would be down for playin PSO play Money .. If U let PS know that you Have this PSO Play $ Idea for a Home Game they will up ur Limit to 500 ppl . I know for a Fact they have just done it for a Old Espn Player . That now plays all there games on PS Home game's ..

Hope to see ya all soon to play .

Hugs and Good Luck ,

Mary

Old
Fri Jul 08, 2011, 01:22 AM
(#8)
i'd be down with a play money pso league

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:32 AM
(#9)
Since: Nov 2010
BronzeStar
I'm down also.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 05:21 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
I would play something like that strictly for braggin' rights (not that i'd be the one braggin') until my government pulled its head out... love this idea! stack em high! MT

I told them - politics and poker do not mix !

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 11:07 AM
(#11)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop4Me72 View Post
For some players, this may seem a dumb idea, but has Poker Stars considered a Play Money Skill League for US players to compete in?

Obviously, there would be no cash involved, but Skill League for me was mostly about enhancing my poker playing skills and competing with other players doing the same.

I was so disgusted with the US banning our online poker, I quit playing online for a few months, but am now back at it on the play money tables which leaves much to be desired.

Eventually, I think, US players will be playing again for stakes online. Until then, PS can retain some loyal US PSO players, maybe, with a Play Money Skill League? Maybe, they could give top players PSO shirts or hats or something ?? I would play just for competitive recognition, That's what I always enjoyed in the Monthly Skill league anyway.

Good luck out there.
Miss you, PSO!
For some players this may indeed be a dumb idea, but for others it may not. I'll go on board as saying it does sound like fun and bragging rights are in many ways more valuable than pennies and points to some and as so may inspire more serious play. But what does that really matter when it's not going to happen as it is not in PS's seemingly best or immediate interest?

It occurs to me that PS has virtually given up on US participation and so has no interest in retaining US members here in the PSO. As I'm sure we all know, PSO is a marketing tool more than anything else. Yes, here you can learn quite a bit depending upon your motivation but the end result is, and has always been, to provide enough information to build enough confidence in play money players to get them to take that next step to real money and start feeding the beast its rake. The argument towards US legalization being, as I understood it at least, that poker, in the long run, is more of a game of skill than chance and therefore not gambling to the skilled.

The reason I say that it seems PS has turned its back on this argument, and hence its back on US participation, is the evident heavy promotion of Turbos and Hyper-Turbos since "Black Friday". One need only peruse the Tourney-All tab to see the reality of this. Turbo formats are geared to the "Gambler" and not the "Skilled player" insomuch as chance plays a much greater role than it does in a deep stack tournament in which patience and skill are required. Turbos, and especially Hyper-Turbos, leave the skilled player no time to wait to make a move; rarely, if ever, will you see a PS pro registered in these events as these are skilled players who have little interest in gambling. (Note, this is only from a SnG and tournament perspective and does not include cash games.)

If PS were in fact serious about pushing the skill over chance in long term Poker success argument, it would be offering more serious, deeper stacked tourneys in which the cream would rise to the top more consistently while at the same time accumulating data on these consistent players (they can no doubt do this) to provide impetuous to this argument rather than choosing higher, short-term gains and turnover over a longer-viewed business plan. In short, I don’t believe they think they can win and so just decided "screw it, a bird in hand and all that jazz".

As has been said to me by many friends in the US Poker community, if online real money Poker does find its way to US players in a mass way (there are still sites providing real money play to US based players but more than likely the clock is ticking for them too) it will be offered and regulated on a State level much as are lotteries hence eliminating these players as PS market targets.

I hope the best for all US based players, especially since I will soon be rejoining your ranks, but see little evidence of motivation on the part of PS and PSO to stimulate interest and education in a market they may see as unavailable to them.

Last edited by A_Fuffufnick; Mon Jul 11, 2011 at 11:18 AM..

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
(#12)
I disagree with you A_Fuffufnick , it would totally be in the interest of PokerStars and PSO to run a Playmoney League to keep the American members here.

After all, the American exclusion won't be for ever, and if the Americans are still playing on the site, albeit for Play Money, they will be in position to start playing for real money as soon as the floodgates are opened.

When all is said and done, this is still the best Online Poker Site by far.

If the American players are forced to leave PokerStars and join other sites, they may never come back to PokerStars, even when it becomes legal for them to do so.

Just my opinion.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:18 PM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2010
I think Fuff is making reasonable points.

It would be logical for PS/PSO to offer some measure of involvement to US players as some modicum of a gesture in an attempt to retain what loyalty remains for if and when the online poker restriction is lifted.

However if as the rumblings suggest that online poker in the US will be franchised at State level then PS may feel its brush with the US DoJ will not put it in a position to be able to take up any such franchise and as such the US market is to all intents and purposes a busted flush. Therefore PS will see no reason to cater for a current and future non-profit making market.

The notion that a play money league would be of a higher standard is probably true, playing for pride to many would mean more than playing for pennies.

With regards to the quality of tournaments on offer, again fair comment. The increasing influx of turbo and hyper-turbo formats that now dominate the tournament schedule make finding anything other than tournaments designed to increase turnover of activity very difficult for those wanting something that remotely relates to the game that the majority of reading actually refers to.

It would not be surprising if the day of the 500 starting chips, 500 starting ante does not gallop over the horizon in the not too distant future.

As for PS being the best online poker site, which it probably is, I think it says more about the poor quality of the alternatives, "in the land of the blind the one eyed man is king".

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 11:30 PM
(#14)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
good points there fuff.

I have no doubt that a Play Money League for US players is of low importance to PS or PSO. It truly is a shame that they have not done something for the players who spent money with their site when we could play. We've been forgotten like a red headed stepchild. It is even a bigger shame that the US gov had not handled a resolution to online poker before they had to shut it all down.

You would think , since PS has Play money tourneys running constantly, they could just establish one for PSO Skill gaming with a leaderboard running on monthly basis.
I have messaged PSO and will keep trying.

PS is a great poker site and PSO is like no other. Hope we get our online poker bill passed in a timely manner and this subject will be moot.

thx all,
Flop

Old
Sun Aug 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
(#15)
Since: Aug 2011
BronzeStar
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I would think the more people ask for it (or post about it), maybe they'll set it up. It doesn't seem illegal to me, but I am quite naive on the details of the law.

As stated above, points would be perfectly acceptable for those trying to garner skill. It's not much different than US play on any of the other available games. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old
Sun Aug 14, 2011, 05:43 PM
(#16)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flop4Me72 View Post

Good luck out there.
Miss you, PSO!
Actually some of us have migrated to other site which allows us to play for real money and I agree with your idea hope it works out

Old
Sun Aug 14, 2011, 05:45 PM
(#17)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curran View Post
won't you be restricted on my member numbers ?

Or do you think you can Persuade PokerStars to let you have unlimited membership ?

I hope so, because that would be awesome.

Best of luck in this endeavour.

I have a friend who just e-mailed support and he was granted more members to join. all he said was how many he was expecting to join and it far exceeded what he was allowed. so they gave him more

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com