Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

How in the heck do you play?

Old
Default
How in the heck do you play? - Fri Nov 08, 2002, 02:08 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
$25 ante level in NLHE tourney, $10K starting chips.

I am dealt AA UTG. I raise 3X BB. 2 callers.


The pot now has something like $2600 in it.

Flop is Q78 rainbow.

SB bets $200. I raise the pot, leaving me about $6000. Other player drops.

SB calls, leaving himself about $8,000.

I think AQ? A8? I truly have very little idea of what they can have. They are not a maniac, nor are they a top player. They are in a lot of hands for medium bets.

Turn is an 8.

SB goes all in.


What could they have?

And how do you play this?


Randy


PS I will give the answer later.
 
Old
Default
Fri Nov 08, 2002, 03:03 PM
(#2)
Deleted user
My guess would be pp 7's

--Matt--
 
Old
Default
Fri Nov 08, 2002, 04:37 PM
(#3)
Deleted user
Assuming you don't read him as a loose player, then I think you would have to put him on a set, an overpair or top pair excellent kicker.
I would rule out A8 becuase of the call size of the call before and after the flop. Also I think we can rule out any chance of 2 pair.
From there, I would evaluate wether he had a tendency to make slow plays or check raises. If he was the type of player that liked to get his opponents to do the raisin for him then I would be happy to check and see how much he valued his hand. But unless the above was obvious, 8 times outta 10 i'm going with top pair or overpair and puttin in a healthy raise. Now either the pots mine or i'm getting re-raised and folding.

Regards
HH
 
Old
Default
Fri Nov 08, 2002, 08:21 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
Quote:
$25 ante level in NLHE tourney, $10K starting chips.

I am dealt AA UTG. I raise 3X BB. 2 callers.
Well, the first thing i would say is that your preflop raise is too small. With money this deep, raise the pot.

With regard to the rest of the hand, I haven't a clue what goes on in the head of a player that bets 200 into the raiser. I would guess that they may be bad enough to either have a full house or a 8 and bet all-in when the 8 comes on the turn. I would still call however as I think there is too great a chance that they just have top pair or worse.

Their flat call on the flop created a very big pot where a bluff is likely. In fact, I am sure that was their intention when they just called. As a hand they were quite happy to go with would have moved in over your flop raise. So when they call, they either have a set or a weakish hand they are unsure about. When the turn comes, I would imagine even a bad player would check if they just improved to trips or a full house, in order to induce the all-in from you due to the size of the pot and the stack positions. I would think they would only move all-in because they didn't improve and decided to go through with their plan of moving all-in with the hand they were unsure about in order to bluff you off a better hand. Or they had top pair and thought they were best. They may also be bad enough to just be betting a hand because they know they are best, so you could be beat in that case. Either way, I call. I would only fold against a straight-forward player. But then, if that straight-forward player was bad, they may also just be betting top pair because they think it's best.

However, when a player makes the minimum bet on the flop, I would have raised much less than the pot, when 3 handed with no flush draw. I don't want to create a pot situatiuon that you ended up creating. A small raise is often the best defense against a minimum bet. I certainly think it's the case in this spot. I would have only bet the pot or more if I had less than 6k in my stack. Then I would have moved in I think.
 
Old
Default
Sat Nov 09, 2002, 09:44 AM
(#5)
Deleted user
Noodles said:

Quote:
Well, the first thing i would say is that your preflop raise is too small. With money this deep, raise the pot.
No biggie, but raising 3X BB ($600) is greater than the $525 pot. Anyway, unless I just do it purely on a random nature, 3X the BB is my standard raise.


And Noodles said:
Quote:
Either way, I call. I would only fold against a straight-forward player. But then, if that straight-forward player was bad, they may also just be betting top pair because they think it's best.
The fact that I cannot put them on any sort of hand is the reason I folded here. I too cannot get inside this player's head.

And:
Quote:
However, when a player makes the minimum bet on the flop, I would have raised much less than the pot, when 3 handed with no flush draw.
This I don't understand. When I think I have the best hand I bet enough to drive the other one out to keep him from hitting some miracle turn card. If he came over the top here, I would have to put him on a set. Maybe I could have bet $1100 or so, but I do not see what a minimum raise accomplishes.


Randy
 
Old
Default
Sat Nov 09, 2002, 10:08 AM
(#6)
Deleted user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rggator
Noodles said:

Quote:
Well, the first thing i would say is that your preflop raise is too small. With money this deep, raise the pot.
No biggie, but raising 3X BB ($600) is greater than the $525 pot. Anyway, unless I just do it purely on a random nature, 3X the BB is my standard raise.
I am assuming at the 25 ante level, the BB is 200 so the pot is 525 in blinds and antes, so a pot raise would be to 900 or so. I don't know whether you raised to 600 ot to 800 but either way is generally too small with an ante. No big deal, just a little point.

Quote:
Quote:
And:
Quote:
However, when a player makes the minimum bet on the flop, I would have raised much less than the pot, when 3 handed with no flush draw.
This I don't understand. When I think I have the best hand I bet enough to drive the other one out to keep him from hitting some miracle turn card. If he came over the top here, I would have to put him on a set. Maybe I could have bet $1100 or so, but I do not see what a minimum raise accomplishes.
Against a player with their mentality, assuming this was a tyical sized bet for this player, it achieves the desired purpose that a pot raise achieves without building the awkward pot size that you did. Their response to a smaller raise probably gives you more information with those stack sizes.

If you thought you had teh best hand on the flop, then I see no reason not to think you had the best hand on the turn, judging from the way it was played. A smaller raise probably allows you to be more sure against this type of player. Also, If they need to hit a miracle turn card to beat you, then why do you desire to drive them out?

Lastly, take what I say with a little pinch of salt. I'm pretty rusty at the moment, so could easily be talking rubbish.
 
Old
Default
Sat Nov 09, 2002, 11:47 AM
(#7)
Deleted user
you gotta lay it down here, even though it might be the best hand. with 6k, you can still mount a comeback, just wait for a better spot to trap this all-inner...the white chocolate has been melted...
 
Old
Default
Sun Nov 10, 2002, 11:42 AM
(#8)
Deleted user
Thanks all.

The player had KQs and had a runner runner out on the flop to a flush which is why he said he played it so aggressively.


Randy


BTW I did lay it down and finished 5th in the tourney, and only a bad bad... LOL
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com