Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

The new league

Old
Default
The new league - Sun Jul 10, 2011, 01:00 AM
(#1)
brncanadian's Avatar
Since: Jan 2011
Posts: 2
WhiteStar
I am just loving the new PSO league before july it only had 5k members and now it has 65k members! With the majority of these players being new, it is making it so easy for the skilled players to make it to the bubble for points. I have to say i love the new league and its only gonna get better
 
Old
Default
I disagree - Sun Jul 10, 2011, 02:05 AM
(#2)
CorkiePoker's Avatar
Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 104
Under the new system, it's almost impossible to play real poker. The field is too large, one bad break, not bad play, just bad luck, can get you a negative score. Donks can raise with any two cards and unless you have AA/KK, if you care about your score you must fold.

In my typical game (not in league play) I usually end up folding 12/13 hands. Folding 30 in a row is not unusual for me, not because I'm overly tight, but I see lots of J2, 72, K3 types of hands. Since I'm playing against people who will call all in with 92s, I can't afford to invest too much in a hand which isn't likely to hold up.

In league play, without AA, I can't afford to play a hand until the field reduces itself to 25%. Any bad break before that (and I get more than my fair share of bad breaks) and I get a negative score. This usually means I have less than 4BB by the time I get to start playing.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 02:39 AM
(#3)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by brncanadian View Post
I am just loving the new PSO league before july it only had 5k members and now it has 65k members! With the majority of these players being new, it is making it so easy for the skilled players to make it to the bubble for points. I have to say i love the new league and its only gonna get better
WELCOME TO THE FORUM I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK
TRY TO NOT PAY TO MUCH MIND TO THE PEOPLE THAT
SEEM TO ALWAYS FIND SOMETHING TO CRY ABOUT
GOOD LUCK


Last edited by hemetdennis; Sun Jul 10, 2011 at 06:11 PM..
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 05:19 AM
(#4)
Da Sens Fan's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by brncanadian View Post
I am just loving the new PSO league before july it only had 5k members and now it has 65k members! With the majority of these players being new, it is making it so easy for the skilled players to make it to the bubble for points. I have to say i love the new league and its only gonna get better

Nice to see a positive outlook on things for a change. I have enjoyed it as well, the small fields after Black Friday were terribly boring.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 05:47 PM
(#5)
CorkiePoker's Avatar
Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 104
I see that you write, but I don't see that you play. If you don't play, you really can't know what we're talking about.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 06:08 PM
(#6)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkiePoker View Post
I see that you write, but I don't see that you play. If you don't play, you really can't know what we're talking about.
I DON'T PLAY HERE( OTHER THEN PLAY MONEY DUE TO BLACK FRIDAY) ANYMORE.
BUT HOW CAN YOU SAY WHAT I KNOW, DO YOU KNOW ME ??
BUT COMING TO THE FORUM TO JUST CRY ABOUT THE LEAGUE DOES NOT DO ANYBODY ANY GOOD. HAVE YOU TRIED TO READ SOME POSTS FROM THE PEOPLE IN THE TOP 50??
TRY SOME POSITIVE THINGS. THE LEAGUE HAS ALWAYS BEEN HOW IT IS AND WILL BE FOR SOMETIME TO COME. THE WHINING POSTS ARE GETTING OLD.
IF YOU CAN'T CUT IT IN THE LEAGUE THEN DON'T PLAY IT. THIS SITE HAS MANY PLACES TO PLAY POKER, FIND ONE THAT YOU LIKE AND MAKE SOME MONEY

GOOD LUCK

 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 07:08 PM
(#7)
ssuglia's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,393
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkiePoker View Post
I see that you write, but I don't see that you play. If you don't play, you really can't know what we're talking about.
You know what they say about people who make assumptions...

zzzzzzzzzzzzz
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 07:21 PM
(#8)
topthecat's Avatar
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,962
It might help if one happened to look at the stats of the OP versus CorkiePoker. No harm to brn but you could hardly say his argument is a convincing one if you look at his PSO stats.

Corkie, you are doing well and have adapted your style to the way the league is: IMHO it is certainly not poker. Maybe some would serve the forum and it's members who are trying to learn to play poker an awful lot better if rather than supporting the hierarchical line, they just told the plain honest truth, rather than castigating those who want to improve.

It is also noteworthy that those in the top 100 from PSO are all familiar names that have been in the old PSO top 100 month on month. It will be interesting to see whether the Premier League will be any different in terms of skill than the old PSO or the Open League, or whether the same people dominate that as well??

Maybe those that are unable to play, should take the example of Moxie and try and offer something constructive rather than go to war with those that are trying to get better at poker. Isn't members getting better at poker the goal of the PSO???


TC
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 07:38 PM
(#9)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
WHEN HAS THE PSO LEAGUE EVER BEEN "POKER" ???
AND IF YOU PLAYED "POKER" IN THE OLD OR THE NEW LEAGUE YOU DIDN'T GET FAR.
AND AS LONG AS THE SCORING IS THE SAME IT WILL BE THAT WAY.
AS I HAVE ALWAYS SAID IF YOU WANT TO PLAY "POKER" THEN FIND ANOTHER TABLE,
DON'T PLAY THE LEAGUE.
THERE IS STILL A LOT TO LEARN HERE AND TO USE TO GET BETTER, SO YOU CAN MOVE ON TO CASH GAMES, AND THAT IS THE POINT OF PSO.
ANYONE THAT THINKS THAT THE LEAGUE IS ALL THAT PSO HAS TO OFFER HAS MISSED THE BOAT.
GOOD LUCK ALL

 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 07:40 PM
(#10)
ssuglia's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,393
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
THERE IS STILL A LOT TO LEARN HERE AND TO USE TO GET BETTER, SO YOU CAN MOVE ON TO CASH GAMES, AND THAT IS THE POINT OF PSO.
ANYONE THAT THINKS THAT THE LEAGUE IS ALL THAT PSO HAS TO OFFER HAS MISSED THE BOAT.
The shouter just hit a hole in one right here.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 07:56 PM
(#11)
topthecat's Avatar
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,962
Have PSO got you a on a twist per word commission Dennis??

What is your definition of Poker? Most of the people in the Open League have no idea of what Poker is? Where is the skill in 5, 6, 7, or 8 people going all in every hand? How can anyone see that as an environment to improve anyone's poker? You learn patience, you learn how to fold, but what use is that when you are down to 6 BB and five people call your all in.

I don't care personally because I am not playing to qualify for the Premier League until October; I am playing to remain active. However, for the scores of people who have read all the lessons on the PSO site, attend the training sessions, who watch the videos and read the articles, who are trying to improve, it does mean something. It means that the school is failing because what they teach simply does not apply in the new dynamic that is The Open League; at least in the Old PSO it did apply to some extent, but here it means nothing!!!!

What do you think that means Dennis? It means a huge number of disillusioned players will be alienated and eventually stop playing poker, because playing poker does not work in this new regime. Is that what you want? Is that what PSO wants? Do you think you help by flaming those that want to learn and improve?

I would love to tell you Dennis what to do with your big sword, but I fear, it would not change what you are and that perhaps is the saddest thing of all.

TC
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 08:01 PM
(#12)
topthecat's Avatar
Since: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuglia View Post
The shouter just hit a hole in one right here.
Well ssuglia, I saw enough of you around the leaderboard on PSo pre Black Friday to suggest that you continued to play the PSO for a reason.

If anyone's game was really killing any other format on Pokerstars they would not be wasting their time with PSO. As a moderator famously said PSO is ostensibly for beginners? Funny how the same old faces are still playing in the League? Can they not cut it at the higher levels?????

TC
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 08:03 PM
(#13)
shirshot's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
ANYONE THAT THINKS THAT THE LEAGUE IS ALL THAT PSO HAS TO OFFER HAS MISSED THE BOAT.

I like boats!
Sailboats or Aces full
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 08:33 PM
(#14)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
have pso got you a on a twist per word commission dennis??

What is your definition of poker? Most of the people in the open league have no idea of what poker is? Where is the skill in 5, 6, 7, or 8 people going all in every hand? How can anyone see that as an environment to improve anyone's poker? You learn patience, you learn how to fold, but what use is that when you are down to 6 bb and five people call your all in.

I don't care personally because i am not playing to qualify for the premier league until october; i am playing to remain active. However, for the scores of people who have read all the lessons on the pso site, attend the training sessions, who watch the videos and read the articles, who are trying to improve, it does mean something. It means that the school is failing because what they teach simply does not apply in the new dynamic that is the open league; at least in the old pso it did apply to some extent, but here it means nothing!!!!

What do you think that means dennis? It means a huge number of disillusioned players will be alienated and eventually stop playing poker, because playing poker does not work in this new regime. Is that what you want? Is that what pso wants? Do you think you help by flaming those that want to learn and improve?

I would love to tell you dennis what to do with your big sword, but i fear, it would not change what you are and that perhaps is the saddest thing of all.

Tc

so what you are saying is they should stop the league ??

Last edited by hemetdennis; Sun Jul 10, 2011 at 08:35 PM..
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 08:36 PM
(#15)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
NOW WHY DID IT DO THAT

 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 08:57 PM
(#16)
!!!111Dan's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by brncanadian View Post
I am just loving the new PSO league before july it only had 5k members and now it has 65k members! With the majority of these players being new, it is making it so easy for the skilled players to make it to the bubble for points. I have to say i love the new league and its only gonna get better
Welcome to the forum canadian!

Like the others said..nice to see someone entering with a positive word.
Lots of great people in here, so enjoy.

Let us know if you have any questions.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 09:44 PM
(#17)
ssuglia's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,393
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Well ssuglia, I saw enough of you around the leaderboard on PSo pre Black Friday to suggest that you continued to play the PSO for a reason.

If anyone's game was really killing any other format on Pokerstars they would not be wasting their time with PSO. As a moderator famously said PSO is ostensibly for beginners? Funny how the same old faces are still playing in the League? Can they not cut it at the higher levels?????

TC
You did?

I played 5 tourneys in January, and I only did that to pick up a Warm-Up ticket.

I OSM'ed every tourney I played in February (about 15-20 I think).

I did not play any in March.

And of course, I didn't in April either.

In fact, after winning $50 in September, I found it to be much more profitable to grind away at cash tables, sng's and a few mtt's, so my participation in league games slowly dwindled. I basically played one a day, which assured me of any easy $5-$30 "bonus" at the end of the month.

There's a few reasons you see players stick with PSO:

1. Poor bankroll management - they blow their winnings, and have to start over.

2. Not yet comfortable outside of PSO - they haven't found a game they enjoy and can play profitably yet.

3. They already play outside of PSO, and use PSO winnings to supplement their bankroll.

Should Americans be able to play on Pokerstars again, one place you will not find me is a PSO league game, unless I'm on the rail watching someone.
 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 09:51 PM
(#18)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Well ssuglia, I saw enough of you around the leaderboard on PSo pre Black Friday to suggest that you continued to play the PSO for a reason.

If anyone's game was really killing any other format on Pokerstars they would not be wasting their time with PSO. As a moderator famously said PSO is ostensibly for beginners? Funny how the same old faces are still playing in the League? Can they not cut it at the higher levels?????

TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuglia View Post
You did?

I played 5 tourneys in January, and I only did that to pick up a Warm-Up ticket.

I OSM'ed every tourney I played in February (about 15-20 I think).

I did not play any in March.

And of course, I didn't in April either.

In fact, after winning $50 in September, I found it to be much more profitable to grind away at cash tables, sng's and a few mtt's, so my participation in league games slowly dwindled. I basically played one a day, which assured me of any easy $5-$30 "bonus" at the end of the month.

There's a few reasons you see players stick with PSO:

1. Poor bankroll management - they blow their winnings, and have to start over.

2. Not yet comfortable outside of PSO - they haven't found a game they enjoy and can play profitably yet.

3. They already play outside of PSO, and use PSO winnings to supplement their bankroll.

Should Americans be able to play on Pokerstars again, one place you will not find me is a PSO league game, unless I'm on the rail watching someone.
HE MAKES UP STUFF SSUGLIA HE SAID I DIDN'T PLAY BEFORE
SO CONSIDER WHERE IT COME FROM I DON'T THINK HE WILL EVER GET IT

 
Old
Default
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 11:23 PM
(#19)
Sandtrap777's Avatar
Since: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuglia View Post
There's a few reasons you see players stick with PSO:
1. Poor bankroll management - they blow their winnings, and have to start over.
2. Not yet comfortable outside of PSO - they haven't found a game they enjoy and can play profitably yet.
3. They already play outside of PSO, and use PSO winnings to supplement their bankroll.
Not the only reasons

Besides #3, my reason is to play with friends, compete among friends, try out new things and I'm sure I'm not the only one

 
Old
Default
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 01:15 AM
(#20)
CorkiePoker's Avatar
Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post

BUT COMING TO THE FORUM TO JUST CRY ABOUT THE LEAGUE
I don't see anything in the rules that says you get to criticise and I don't.

I'm not here crying, I'm stating my views. That's what happens in forums. You may want to classify it as crying, but to my way of thinking, you don't have the right to criticise me, you're not playing the game.

I think the League is a good idea which just needs some tuning to make it better.

One possible solution to the problem of large field sizes might be to simply double the starting chips. The irrational shovers are still going to shove, but those of us who nurture our chips will have a better opportunity to utilize our skills.
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com