Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Why can't I understand poker? (Noob)

Old
Question
Why can't I understand poker? (Noob) - Sun Jul 10, 2011, 02:38 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
WhiteStar
I have read all the "Basic Poker Lessons" and I still do not understand the game and how it is played? I downloaded PokerStars to try it out, but I cannot seem to follow the game and play.

Can anyone help me out?

Old
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 03:23 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Sure...

Lot's of folks can.

Trying to do it in a forum is pretty hard though, since addressing anything which might help YOU is only as "valuable" as your "need" to better undersand certain concepts are.

This means to get help, you should probably NARROW your questions to more specific topics.

Just coming in here and saying, "I cannot understand poker, please help!" is either likely to result in a monster long post (most likely from me ) that will just confuse you MORE, or will result in shorter posts that do not address the things you are trying to understand NOW.

So the BIGGEST thing you can do is become more "inter-active" in your learning process. Accept that you will only learn as much as you are WILLING to learn, and the effort someone is willing to put into helpping you is only worthwhile based on the amount YOU "care" about learning.

Define those things, then start reading.
Take notes on what you've read, and try to find the answers for yourself first by using other reference materials.
When all that has been done, go play some poker and try out the things you've learned.

After all that has been done, you should proably still have things which "confuse" you, but at least you'll be able to ask more pointed questions about exact things which have you stumped!

hope it helps.

Old
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 03:27 PM
(#3)
WhiteStar
I agree my question was too broad. What I am trying to say is, that I do not understand 1 single thing about the rules/play. I will try to read as much as possible though.

Thanks for your answer.

Old
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 04:12 PM
(#4)
Before you even start though you need to be honest with yourself as to what you want to get out of the game. If it's just to splash around and have fun then not as much "learning" will be required.

If it's a more serious goal then know going in that you are NEVER going to stop learning if you want to continue improving.

Poker,at times,can be like what Jacques Cousteau said about sharks once..."The more we learn about them(it), the less we understand."

Good luck on your journey whatever you decide and understand that this is a game that can take you from euphoria to consternation to rage,many times all in one hand and in any order. And that's a huge part of what makes it such a great game.

Old
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 04:41 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beieren View Post
I have read all the "Basic Poker Lessons" and I still do not understand the game and how it is played? I downloaded PokerStars to try it out, but I cannot seem to follow the game and play.

Can anyone help me out?
i been playing since 2004 here at poker stars ...my husband would walk by the computer to see what im up to ...he would see that im playing any two cards play chips ...his response would be and i quote ,,,,you have no reason to be in that hand ...well from that day on i play my hands ..you get aces raise hard ..you get 72 fold ..to me thats the basics of poker...later on you will start to under stand position pot odds ,three betting and all the psycho babble you hear .....a long story short ...play your two starting cards because thats all you have by the way i became a play chip baron ..taking in over 10 million from playing my two starting cards ..gl F.M

Old
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 05:20 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
I agree my question was too broad. What I am trying to say is, that I do not understand 1 single thing about the rules/play. I will try to read as much as possible though.

Thanks for your answer.

http://www.myrakesite.com/texas_holdem_rules.html

Boom goes the dynamite !

Old
Sun Jul 10, 2011, 05:36 PM
(#7)
DSF,you left out 5 of a kind if I catch a joker....

Donkey.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:52 AM
(#8)
WhiteStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
Thanks.
Still don't understand it fully though.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 04:42 AM
(#9)
click the link underneath for detailed explanation.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 08:44 AM
(#10)
Where is AceKingPros when you need him ?

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 09:59 AM
(#11)
Yeah AKP said he'd come back when we had a tiered leage, well we have it now, so AKP where are you?

OP: Try getting a copy of Poker for Dummies.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 10:16 AM
(#12)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:

Can anyone help me out?
Hi beieren and welcome to the forum and pso.
Did you check out the link that sens fan provided? I know sometimes reading these directions can be a bit confusing, but that is a good start.
Have you played other card games before? It's good to have a background of other card games if you've never played poker, just so you have a basic understanding of the deck and how, in general, cards are played.
Experience will be your best tool so you want to get to some play money tables and start logging in some hands.
If you wish, I have a home game play money table set up for new members that you can join me and maybe a couple others on, and we can give ya' some training there. We can help with play and site navigation.
If interested, let me know.

Lots of friendly, helpful people here so don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 11:13 AM
(#13)
Since: Feb 2011
[QUOTE=IroncladMerc;

OP: Try getting a copy of Poker for Dummies.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know..... (not a dig on you) (actual book) and not a bad one at all for the beginning player. gl at the felt! stack em high! MT

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:02 PM
(#14)
WhiteStar
Thanks guys. I will read more and come back if I have additional questions. To the other answerer; no I do not have experience in card games.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
(#15)
BronzeStar
AceKingPros recognized that he had a problem with gambling in general, and with on line poker in specific.

As such, about 9 months or so ago, he contacted Poker Stars to inform them of these issues, and to request a permanent ban on his IP address.

He cannot play on Poker Stars as a result, and I am assuming that he avoids these forums completely so as not to become "tempted" by talk of poker.

Good luck to him, whatever he is doing now.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 04:24 PM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
Just so you know..... (not a dig on you) (actual book) and not a bad one at all for the beginning player. gl at the felt! stack em high! MT
Yeah I know there's an actual book. They have a Dummies book for every conceivable topic by now. And I knew it when it was just DOS for Dummies.

They also have a Complete Idiot's Guide to Poker as well.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 05:36 PM
(#17)
Since: Apr 2011
I am reminded of my first experience of poker - watching it when it first appeared on British TV and wondering what the hell was going on. As I recall my learning curve something went like this:

1. Grasping the basic rules of Hold'em and the hand rankings.
2. Writing down the best starting hand pairs and keeping that by me as I watched internet play money poker games. Learning some probabilities associated with various common scenarios.
3. Taking the plunge and joining in a play money ring game (ring game is a continuous poker game, it only ends when the table breaks up due to lack of players). At first it was all a blur but gradually I got up to speed.
4. Watching what happened with the hands I folded. (Easier now that when you "mouse over" your seat here at PokerStars it shows you your folded cards).
5, Never stopping learning and keeping practicing, noting what (sometimes) works and what (sometimes) doesn't work.
6. Developing a very thick skin as protection against (bigger) donks (than me) out-drawing me and (very occasionally) hostile table talk.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 05:51 PM
(#18)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
Yeah I know there's an actual book. They have a Dummies book for every conceivable topic by now. And I knew it when it was just DOS for Dummies.

They also have a Complete Idiot's Guide to Poker as well.
ummmm ya i knew that YOU knew it was a book LOL my post was aimed at the OP as a noob i didn't want him to think it was just a dig

Last edited by mtnestegg; Mon Jul 11, 2011 at 05:53 PM..

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 07:38 AM
(#19)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
AceKingPros recognized that he had a problem with gambling in general, and with on line poker in specific.

As such, about 9 months or so ago, he contacted Poker Stars to inform them of these issues, and to request a permanent ban on his IP address.

He cannot play on Poker Stars as a result, and I am assuming that he avoids these forums completely so as not to become "tempted" by talk of poker.

Good luck to him, whatever he is doing now.
He is back JD, using the name acekingcheck, and he got his flash cards licensed... but he has avoided the forums so far...

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 03:10 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
Really...

interesting.

Good luck to him.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com