Old
Why Bitch About the PSO? - Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
For those that bitch about the PSO,

Please let me tell you my story playing here,

Last year my bank roll was $0.00

Over the past year, with no investment on my end,

I have been able to play many real cash games, ( with there cash l have won here )

Also made some really great friends.

Still have a pretty good bank roll, thx to the PSO, was also able to help out a few great peeps l have made friends with.

Another reason why this league is great, it cost nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!, just look at what l started with.

So do yourself a favor, shut the eff up, and start having fun,

cheers all that see this for what it is.

hiccup

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Why bitch?

...because the nipple pictures aren't arriving on time.

*hic*

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 02:54 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
Why bitch?

...because the nipple pictures aren't arriving on time.

*hic*

not sure, but l think this is JD's shortest reply ever.....hiccup

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 03:01 PM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi eff,

My reply will be a little bit longer than JDean's but I will endeavour to make it as measured as possible.

TC

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 03:14 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2010
You get em told Eff m8 !!!
It's those same people whining who are back time after time for another try !!!
My life is a little bit sadder now your on a break and sometimes on a sat morning around 02:00 i find myself having a little cry into my pint of beer !!! lol Hiccup !!!!
U got a date for when you'll be returning m8 ( roughly ). B

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 03:21 PM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizer73 View Post
You get em told Eff m8 !!!
It's those same people whining who are back time after time for another try !!!
My life is a little bit sadder now your on a break and sometimes on a sat morning around 02:00 i find myself having a little cry into my pint of beer !!! lol Hiccup !!!!
U got a date for when you'll be returning m8 ( roughly ). B

Cheers B.

Thinking we will start up Drunk Tank 2, 1st week in Sept.

Only reason l shut it down was, being summer, with vacations, golf, drinking, bbq's etc.

Just not enough time,

cheers man

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 03:34 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post

I have been able to play many real cash games, ( with there cash l have won here )

Still have a pretty good bank roll, thx to the PSO, was also able to help out a few great peeps l have made friends with.

Another reason why this league is great, it cost nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!, just look at what l started with.

hiccup
HERE effin HERE! A big on this one! stack em high! MT

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 04:19 PM
(#8)
Quote:

hiccup

+INFINITY

Couldn't be more on point eff. Well said.

If I could let me give a little background on MY story on Stars and how PSO fits into that (yeah I'm gonna be a little more verbose than Otis was,lol).

Some of you (eff,ssugs,felipe-ps,brkn off the top of my head,some others I'm sure) I've told this to before.

I swore I would NEVER play poker on-line for money. I had heard the horror stories,knew friends who had lost hundreds,even thousands in a couple cases (should have taken into account that they were generally the fish I preyed on in our home games I guess...) and just basically believed every stupid story slamming on-line poker that came down the pike.

I did fart around on play money tables hear when bored at times and last June I was tired of playing play money rings and entered a tournament instead--A Galileo's NL Omaha H/L Astronomer freeroll. I've played some Omaha live in the past so was at least fundamentally somewhat competent in it (i.e. I knew what beat what ) which put me ahead of roughly 95% of the field. Well 4+ hours and a few lucky river sucks later and I had a ticket with which I had no clue what to do. After asking in chat I was informed of the Weekly Round 2's. I saw I would have to get the .com version to play so after some reading and asking in chat in the freeroll I learned that I could indeed play for free and try to win some money. Well no deposit needed I'll give this a whirl,I thought.

I min-cashed for a whopping $0.36 and was nearly as elated as with any much larger "win" I had ever experienced live as the tumblers to a whole new world and it's possibilities were clicking in my head.

Well I had some luck at first,great BR management I took the $0.36 and entered the .25 ($100 added) MTT and won a little over a dollar there and had some original luck on the .01/.2 NLHE rings and saw my "roll" climb to just shy of $20.00. Then things went south,I saw a run of sick beats and was just about Busto and all the dark thoughts I had harbored about on-line poker were running amok in my head.

I saw the tag for the Poker School one day when I logged on and decided to give it a look. Did a little reading,took the Core and SNG tests,aced both and decided to give the League games a try.

"Hey it's free and maybe I can win a few cents here and there and rebuild." I thought.

I actually took a fifth in prolly my 4th or 5th PSO,met one very cool dude that I shared a table with for over an hour (Jarhead8286--AKA Slushy Pup,if you ever tabled with him you know what I mean ) and had a ball.

Next day I gave the points back roughly 3 times over. I knew about the leaderboard but figured that I wasn't eligible for the big bucks so what's the point,I'll just splash around and try to win the $2.50 or whatever a first payed.

Then I happened to table with effsea himself and a very cool gal by the name of fairyone69 and they gave me the lowdown on what this League is really all about as far as the brass ring goes. Plus friend-wise eff and I hit it off right away (sick minds think alike ) and he clued me in on what being "active" and the 20 VPP's meant. I looked at my cashier box and lo and behold I had 35ish FPP's and only like 7 VPP's for the month. Then from reading I ascertained that the VPP's reset each month and that menat that I was.....active for August????

I looked for myself on the leaderboard (around 2500th place at the time) and sure enough I was active. Needless to say my outlook on what my mission statement in the League was changed immediately. I started to see the game within the game as far as points won and lost went,got further help on this from eff and another good guy who went by MEMAN30 (no clue where he went...) and ended up climbing all the way form 2500 something to 6th at the end of the month,which turned into 2nd when they reworked the scoring at the end of the month (there had been a major scoring glitch for 2-3 days mid-month...BTW Stars paid out ALL prizes commensurate with each players HIGHEST finish on either leaderboard---so TWO players were each paid $1000 for 2nd,myself and jimmi page--that donk CoTe won 1st on both boards ).

I know I went a little long here but I wanted to give full background so you would hopefully understand me better when I state,without a shadow of doubt,that were it not for PSO and the friends I made here then I would have been done playing on PStars,and with on-line poker period,a year ago. Now it's quite the opposite as I begrudge every day that sitting down and playing with my friends here in the League (sorry play money just doesn't do it for me after having competed for the real thing,I pop in here and there but it just ain't the same) is denied me and my fellow American players. I've been trying other sites but it's just a far,far cry from Stars and I don't,after the FT fiasco,really trust any of them to honor their obligations should they be next to get knee-capped (my opinion is everyone allowing US players to play WILL get slapped down to clear the way for the sites that will be operating here before this all shakes out,could be wrong,we'll see...).

Topthecat,for one,and others have thanked myself and others (who are far more deserving of this thanks IMO) like Dave (TheLangolier),JDean,JWK24,ssugs,Dano and Joe,Brian and Eric and others who have remained here in the forum and contributed what we can to helping out where we can,even though American players are denied the opportunity to play at present. Some have been derisive of us as well,asking why we're still hanging around.

I can't speak for the others but I will state that for myself it's because from about the middle of August right up until Black Friday Stars was the FIRST place I came when I logged on to start my day and the LAST place I was when I logged off to end it. That is solely because of PSO and the joy for on-line poker that I found here,FOR FREE. I don't do twitter,or Facebook or any other social networking sites, THIS is where my on-line friends are.

And for that I feel like I owe it to give back what I can.

PSO is here,for free,to be made whatever YOU want to make of it. Nothing is going to inhibit you but your own limitations,be they real or imagined. It will NEVER be perfect in the eyes of everyone. What is? But I defy you to find anything offered anywhere else that even comes close.

The League is just part of the puzzle here,in fact for your advancement as a player it's not even the biggest part,far from it in fact. The free money is great but if you aren't utilizing the School and the Forum to your advantage then that's on you,the individual,not on them.

Have fun. Learn. Compete. Make friends. All for free.

If you short yourself on this then you are dealing yourself the worst Bad Beat that you're ever going to take on this site.

That's where I come out on this issue.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Mon Jul 11, 2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 04:26 PM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
If it weren't for the habitual whiners and malcontents we moderators would have very little to do.

Wait a minute. That would be a GOOD thing.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 04:27 PM
(#10)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
I am guilty for bitching about the PSO and you folks make some excellent points about it being free and good practice for your game and all that...but if nobody ever complained wouldn't the forum be a napfest? zzz

PSO is a great place and there is no other place online that I've found with such great competitors. I do complain sometimes but I do it out of jest and as a supporter of free speech.

Stars is great! Stars is a survivor! Go Stars!

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 04:29 PM
(#11)
Cheers Moxie,

Like always, very well said

hiccup

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 04:48 PM
(#12)
Hey Moxi, Great Rags to Riches story, and very similar to mine. Not only have i managed to build a decent BR but most importantly my game has improved 10 fold since joining PSO. to PSO

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 04:57 PM
(#13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by De Hitman View Post
Hey Moxi, Great Rags to Riches story, and very similar to mine. Not only have i managed to build a decent BR but most importantly my game has improved 10 fold since joining PSO. to PSO

LOL,I don't know about "riches" Hitman. I had a nice ROI going when the axe fell but still was mini-micro donking it,but every journey begins with a single step.

Hoping myself and the rest of us Yanks can continue our journeys with all of you sooner rather than later (hell I even miss tencat and Pres at this point....well not Pres ).

I don't know that there are many things that would give me more joy right now than to log-on to the site and see the words "Pokerstars now open again for US players".

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 04:58 PM
(#14)
Firstly I would completely agree with you Eff that there are a lot of great things to be said for PSO, indeed I would go so far to say that you are one of them. I respect you and your opinion highly both as a player and a person.

My story is not that different from your own, although I had lost 1000’s of dollars, prior to finding the PSO site and deciding for myself that I was not going to throw any more money away. The decision not to throw any more money away came before I found the site and I had grown my bankroll from 11 cents to about 5 or 6$ ostensively via freerolls. I had played poker for many years live for cash and realised that online for money was totally different.

Playing a limited amount of games in the old PSO, using the courses on the site, I found that I could make 15 or 30$ a month. I had and still believe that I have a reasonable game but it was only when Darkman began mentoring me that I realised that I could make a larger cash in PSO without playing conventional Poker. With the help of the hand analysis team, Dave in live training, I started to accrue more money outside PSO as well. Fantastic resource and fantastic people. I wanted to engross myself more in the game and the site and began playing “the DrunkTank”, staking and taking part as much as I could. I enjoyed the craic, the camaraderie and the competition.

The old PSO was exploitable and the same people cracked 50$ or more virtually every month, which is fine, but I found that anybody voicing a criticism over the style of play in the League was swiftly put in their box. Now, maybe I am an old softy, or I just root for the underdog, but I began to see where these people were coming from in terms of the standard of poker in the old PSO. It actually got worse after Black Friday. Now I am not saying the skill level was bad but a lot of it was just an anathema to what is taught on the courses etc so I could understand the frustration from some. I could also understand those who played the virtual opposite of TAG (Tight Aggressive) and took advantage. What began to nag at me though was that some really promising players just left PSO and Pokerstars because they came here to learn and yet they found what they had learnt they could not even apply in the League ran by PSO, they wanted to play poker, not run the clock and play only premium hands.

Now at this point Eff you may remember the argument I had with RayVareck who said that those slow playing on PSO could not play poker. We would both agree that he was given a lesson in poker several times but he had a point but it took the dawning of the new Open/Premier League for me to acknowledge that point.

There are many who will say that everything in PSO, including the New Leagues, is brilliant because it is in their own self interest to do so. They want opinion that is contrary to that of PSO Admin/Staff squashed not because the opinion is invalid but because they see it as a threat to the nice gravy train PSO is for them. They are not interested in the site or the overall betterment of all players which is a goal of the site; they are interested only in the 5K top prize, so their sense of community and helping others improve is coloured by their own self interest, and I feel that this is a sad reflection on PSO as a community.

The current Open League is flawed, (it requires improvement in many areas), The Premier League will be flawed; it will also require improvement. I express this opinion not to bitch about PSO, but to ensure that PSO make the best of what is basically a good idea for both PSO and the majority of players. I want PSO to flourish; I want players of all levels to improve. If that is bitching Eff, then expect me to continue bitching for a long time to come.

There are numerous other topics that I could bring into this but I am only concerned with the League and the loss of players who want to learn in this topic. They are frustrated because PSO does not seem to listen to their concerns; I also concede that there are those who complain who only complain out of their own self interest. There are those of us who offer constructive criticism hoping something will be done; that it morphs into satire, irony and making fun of PSO lies at the door of PSO. You can be playful and funny, while being pointed and constructively critical of the intended target. This is normal of all fora, but yet PSO is the only one that I have come across that will ban you if you do not toe the “party line”. It is a private forum, run by a private company, with private as well as the broader goals.

If we all sit around congratulating each other on how great everything is in the League, as long as it is good for us, and knocking anything remotely negative what will be achieved. I will tell what will be achieved, a forum that goes back to the one post a day activity of the earlier part of the year. How long do you think PSO would continue if that was the case?

We need differing opinions, we need those that will challenge the status quo because it is not always right, we need those that will challenge the comfort zone of earning money every month from PSO and the “I am alright Jack” attitude.

I asked Dan the other day, who on this site, is making a living from playing poker alone. Is there one person doing this, maybe two? Are there not many others who have the game and the potential but yet their boundaries are not stretched whilst all the while droves of players who could improve and get better leave the site in disgust when the League they participate in does not adhere to the rules taught in Hand analysis, in the courses or the training sessions?

I for one can understand the frustration. Yet; I could stand idly by and say nothing, and support the League wholeheartedly but I would be being untrue to myself and what I have learnt here. I could cruise to the premier league, if I wanted, I could earn 150 VPPS but it goes against all I was taught; it goes against all I believe in doing the right thing. Worse than that it leaves a lot of people behind who could be good, could be better, could possibly compete with the best, and could definitely generate long term returns for Pokerstars and PSO.

Only 10% of players online are winning players, maybe even less make a reasonable living, but be honest Eff, you would give your right eye tooth to move up a level. Lots of beginners are being denied the chance to move off even the lowest level because they are not being shown how to adapt. I did not complain at the outset, I asked for help, and help was forthcoming, and maybe some should be a little more diplomatic, but a lot of these people are the generation with no attention span, no patience. That does not undermine the basic gripes that they have, that the League can be improved.

Anyway, I have now become the clone of JDean, but it could be worse, I could have written everything in CAPS and used more than three smilies in one line never mind one post LOL

TC

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 05:02 PM
(#15)
Since: Jun 2010
I'll keep it short and sweet. It's easier to whine and complain than learn and adapt.

Me personally, I'll take a freeroll shot at 5k to supplement my bankroll while I play any time.

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 05:12 PM
(#16)
And Da Sens has hit the nail on the head; there are a huge amount of value whores, who will take advantage of the PSO setup to grow their bankroll, yet these are the same people who complained when PSO offered a 12K WSOP package and all the bigger sharks came and fed off it.

Why not grow a set people and just say something is wrong when it is wrong and not just look out for No.1?????

TC

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 05:12 PM
(#17)
Great Reply Top

But just a fast reply,

This was targeted at peeps bitching, not the ones that use constructive thoughts and opinions

cheers

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 05:14 PM
(#18)
Cheers Eff,

I love the bitches, even though they are hard to keep in line

TC

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 05:22 PM
(#19)
Since: May 2011
i cannot speak for all but the big change this month is what is driving me nuts. The PSO has done a ton for me, and proud to be a member.

Still feel the need to voice/rant out an opinion once in a while.

Below is a great example...

PokerStars Game #64436986828: Tournament #411630589, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2011/07/11 17:06:27 ET
Table '411630589 152' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: huluba (4100 in chips)
Seat 2: koky11 (4480 in chips)
Seat 3: AlbertoL872 (1440 in chips)
Seat 4: dale442 (1650 in chips)
Seat 5: esparta355 (1470 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 6: Aschipup600 (1460 in chips)
Seat 7: alto59 (1500 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 8: KordMakc (1580 in chips)
Seat 9: R.17! CH (4420 in chips)
Aschipup600: posts small blind 10
alto59: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to dale442 [6d 4c]
KordMakc: raises 380 to 400
R.17! CH: folds
huluba: raises 2480 to 2880
koky11: raises 1600 to 4480 and is all-in
AlbertoL872: folds
dale442: folds
esparta355: folds
Aschipup600: folds
alto59: folds
KordMakc: calls 1180 and is all-in
huluba: calls 1220 and is all-in
Uncalled bet (380) returned to koky11
*** FLOP *** [Kh 5h 8h]
*** TURN *** [Kh 5h 8h] [Ks]
*** RIVER *** [Kh 5h 8h Ks] [4d]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
huluba: shows [7c 7h] (two pair, Kings and Sevens)
koky11: shows [9s 9h] (two pair, Kings and Nines)
koky11 collected 5040 from side pot
KordMakc: shows [Kc 4h] (a full house, Kings full of Fours)
KordMakc collected 4770 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 9810 Main pot 4770. Side pot 5040. | Rake 0
Board [Kh 5h 8h Ks 4d]
Seat 1: huluba showed [7c 7h] and lost with two pair, Kings and Sevens
Seat 2: koky11 showed [9s 9h] and won (5040) with two pair, Kings and Nines
Seat 3: AlbertoL872 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: dale442 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: esparta355 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: Aschipup600 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 7: alto59 (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 8: KordMakc showed [Kc 4h] and won (4770) with a full house, Kings full of Fours
Seat 9: R.17! CH folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Happen just a few minutes ago.

Dale

Old
Mon Jul 11, 2011, 05:59 PM
(#20)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
And Da Sens has hit the nail on the head; there are a huge amount of value whores, who will take advantage of the PSO setup to grow their bankroll, yet these are the same people who complained when PSO offered a 12K WSOP package and all the bigger sharks came and fed off it.

Why not grow a set people and just say something is wrong when it is wrong and not just look out for No.1?????

TC
I think you'll find that "those" sharks weren't required to come and feed here. The package was thrown into the tank in which they already swam. All they had to do was pass the test and continue playing their usual games. "We" however put a substantial amount of work into obtaining what most months is still a modest bonus. Not the best of comparisons.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com