Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

I am confused

Old
I am confused - Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:55 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Today, I feel a little lost.
Playing the PSO league, opponents keep calling pot-sized and all in bets with bottom pair, middle pair, just 1 overcard, straight draws (not open ended!).
Is there something wrong with my understanding of "odds calculation", or should this
not be done?
It's very frustrating when your opponents keep on having all the good luck on river or turn!

Your reactions please!
Thanks

Old
Tue Jul 12, 2011, 10:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipergsm View Post
Playing the PSO league, opponents keep calling pot-sized and all in bets with bottom pair, middle pair, just 1 overcard, straight draws (not open ended!).
Is there something wrong with my understanding of "odds calculation", or should this
not be done?
It's very frustrating when your opponents keep on having all the good luck on river or turn!

Your reactions please!
Thanks
the only way it gets better is to come in the top 1500 and earn 20vpps ..then in august you can play in the premier league where the poker should be alot better cause like ive said before it can not get any worse gl piper F.M.

Old
Confusing play - Tue Jul 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Hi pipergsm

I'm having exactly the same experience when playing in the league... example: I had a queen paired and 5,000 odd chips, I opened with a smallish bet and this guy bet all is chips approx. 36,000. I had no choice, really, except go all-in... he had a 10 and 8, the 3rd queen appear on the flop. It was brilliant, I thought, a easy win.... and then I was brought back down to earth with a bump... the river completed a straight for him and I lost

The next day a similar thing happened. I guy with 86,000 chips against my 2500, went all-in with a 9 and 6 pre-flop, against my pair of Aces. Again he he won on the river completing a straight.

I find myself playing, not the player and his actions, but instead what I think the computer software is going to generate.

I have not yet completed the PS lessons, so when I do hopefully it may help me to handle these situations a little.

Its all good fun tho.
Good luck in the league.

Old
Thanks! - Tue Jul 12, 2011, 11:45 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2011
Hi.
thx for your reaction.
At least I'm not the only one! lol
You should certainly check out the lessons!
I did them all, succeeded all the tests.
It's very usefull!
Check out the video lesson about 3-betting too. Very usefull in later stages of a tournament!
But in situations like this, all you can do is tell yourself : I'm having a bad streak
(period of bad luck), it happens to everyone.
Be patient, it wil change!

Good luck to you too!

Old
Tue Jul 12, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipergsm View Post
not be done?

Your reactions please!
Thanks
It is really simple, and shouldn't be a source of confusion at all...

People play poker for different reasons.

Some of those reasons do not require the "work" it takes to learn how to play long term winning poker.

If you flip a coin 100 times, you will tend to win 50 of them.

The "work" in poker comes from learning how to identify situations where you are getting BETTER than a 1 - to - 1 return (or better than 50/50 chance to win) when you "flip that coin" in a card game.

It does NOT mean you will not lose the 50 times you are "supposed to" (or the 20 or 30 times when you are better than 50/50), but it DOES mean you will tend to win MORE than you are putting at risk (or win more than 50% of the time).

Over the long term, that will result in profit.

Some people honestly believe that poker is ALL LUCK, and will never learn that fact.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't though, if you are playing poker for profit.

Old
i am confused - Wed Jul 13, 2011, 08:36 AM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
i cant wait till end of month if im not bald by then i think i will have most of my hair pulled out by then lol, it is wicked i have not ever seen so many bad players and all in donks:

Old
Mummergirl is fine !! - Wed Jul 13, 2011, 08:51 AM
(#7)
Since: Dec 2010
I Hope you don't go bald Mummergirl !!!!! Don't think it would suit you quite as much as it does me !!! lol Good look at the tables - Hope to see you in the Prem next month B

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com