Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

reverse-floating

Old
reverse-floating - Tue Jul 12, 2011, 04:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
what do you guys think about the reverse-float in nl holdem cash games? do u do it with a backdoor flush/straight possiblity, two overs, a medium pocket pair? do u do it when ur in the blinds and the villian is on the button, or perhaps other positions? do u check-call villian's bet, or check-raise? on what steets do u do this? do u do it against mulitple opps. so that ur pot odds are larger? any information u have on reverse-floating, who to do it against, how to do it, etc., would be appreciated

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 10:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2009
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup143 View Post
what do you guys think about the reverse-float in nl holdem cash games? do u do it with a backdoor flush/straight possiblity, two overs, a medium pocket pair? do u do it when ur in the blinds and the villian is on the button, or perhaps other positions? do u check-call villian's bet, or check-raise? on what steets do u do this? do u do it against mulitple opps. so that ur pot odds are larger? any information u have on reverse-floating, who to do it against, how to do it, etc., would be appreciated
It's a bit risky. Image a tricky play pyramid, with the length of each level (progressively decreasing upwards) proportional to the probability/frequency of an event. So at the bottom you have button preflop steals and flop c-bets heads up; moving upwards you have more risky plays and also "response" plays like floating or reraising a button raiser. Then you can reverse-float and reraise the reraiser, but because these sorts of plays happen much less than just c-betting, your probability of actually being against a bluff vs being against a really good hand is much lower, because many people would make a certain play with AA but only in specific cases would do with 27o. So it's best to avoid bluff/rebluff type situations.

Cash games vs tournaments changes a little ... I'm far more likely to play aggressively when I have a small stack and need to double. Also, in a tournament, you may get a feel for opponents, and after a few button steals you might go for a resteal. The great thing about plays like this is you only need 1 resteal from the big blind to compensate for 3.5 steals (assuming a standard raise to 3bbs). So you can test out plays like this but in specific contexts. Similarly, I will sometimes reverse-float for the purpose of showing weakness which a certain type of player will pounce on.. some lag-types will shut down if you raise them but escalate their bets wildly, trying to extract a fold, when you flat call. Also a good idea to use this if you're a shortstack and have a very good hand .. big stacks are touchy about folding to small stacks (pot odds!) and so playing slow is actually a great strategy. They can be tricked into bluffing with literally no pair (I just was, today. Bugger had 33 for a flopped set and turned full house, oops).

Cash games? I'm less certain, I don't play them much (at all) online. Certainly if you're against a floater you should introduce occasional light check-raises or river refloats to compensate, but remember the 1:3.5 rule. Only make this play rarely .. at low/medium stakes you can make more than enough profit without this much trickiness.

Old
Sun Jul 24, 2011, 02:06 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
what the hell is a reverse float? lol really ive only ever heard of the term float? but yeah floating is defianntly best to do with pure air imo...........

I personally don't like to float with a hand that has very good equity against a players likeley holding, for example u raise in mid position in a 6 max game with QJ offsuit and get 3 bet by an active button.......u flat and take a flop it comes 9-10-5 rainbow...........you check and ur opponent c bets as he should now in these spots i like to check raISe alot hoping to firstly fold out premium non made hands KQ,AK,AQ,KJ ect and small pairs he may have, and also get value from worse draws that may be in his range.....i mean and if he does call u with a 9 or 10 just keep barreling you dont want to lose ur equity by checking and repping nothing, you can easily be rep a 10 there............plus the ntimes he does have top pair there you are still in very good shape and your equity is definantly good enuf to barrel barrel barrel considering overs+str8 outs .......even against his sets..........

but all in all floating has its pros and cons it all depends on ur style of play and bluff freqeuncys in order to float opponents and barrel succesfully

GL GL

Last edited by Oku_Ha_FooLs; Sun Jul 24, 2011 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: spelling miostake

Old
Sun Jul 24, 2011, 02:26 PM
(#4)
Deleted user
I tend to reverse float with complete air,hand really isnt important if you are doing it against the right person and have set the preflop up to match your play.

I dont really have a preference of where I use it more,might lean towards cash.

Your hand reading has to be really good or at least against that person.

Some people fire 2 streets with air and they do it way to often.
Those are usually who I do it against.

100%cbet, high aggression and high won without showdown.
Some you just need to beat them to the shove and thats all thats needed,so I play these people oop for that purpose.

Old
Mon Jul 25, 2011, 11:46 AM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oku_Ha_FooLs View Post
what the hell is a reverse float?
it's a float from out of position

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 03:39 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
thanks ketchup yeh i justy clicked onto it now :P

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 04:57 PM
(#7)
Since: Nov 2007
I cannot float on my front, which means I cannot swim either.

I can however float on my back. Is that reverse floating or normal floating?

TC

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
Can you give me an example?

Old
Sun Aug 21, 2011, 06:32 PM
(#9)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerstar671 View Post
Can you give me an example?
i got A3s on the sb...cufoff, button, sb and bb all limp in. flop comes 65T. i check, bb checks, cutoff checks, button bets .60 into a .20 pot (playing 2c/5c). i call, other two fold. this is a reverse float b/c im continuing with my hand from out of position. if i were on the button and someone else bet on the sb and i called, that would simply be a float.

Old
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 11:14 PM
(#10)
Oh and then what you call and then bet first on the next card?

Old
Mon Aug 22, 2011, 11:16 PM
(#11)
or do you have to have something if you bet?
I thought floating was when you call a raise and plan to bluff later on

Old
rootbeer float... - Fri Aug 26, 2011, 01:50 AM
(#12)
BronzeStar
at my local malt shop, a reverse float has more to do with the expected value of the portion of your ice cream and the exploitable amount of soda that can be used; all depending on the size of the glass and wheather 1 or more straws will be used...best wishes...

Old
Mon Aug 29, 2011, 03:37 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerstar671 View Post
or do you have to have something if you bet?
I thought floating was when you call a raise and plan to bluff later on
u r correct. the call from OOP allows u to bluff on a later street just like a traditional float does--it's just that it's much harder to float OOP b/c u have to act first u can check-call and bluff the river, u can check-raise, or u can just bet out. the point of this post was for people to discuss what the situation has to look like when they decide to reverse-float

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:55 AM
(#14)
BronzeStar
just ran across this thread, and remembered Ketchups

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/69...oating-972834/

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 08:55 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
delete

Last edited by roomik17; Mon Dec 12, 2011 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: forum acting up again

Old
Mon Dec 12, 2011, 10:33 AM
(#16)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
just ran across this thread, and remembered Ketchups

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/69...oating-972834/
Thanks room - gr8 article.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com