Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

What am I doing wrong?

Old
What am I doing wrong? - Wed Jul 13, 2011, 05:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2010
WhiteStar
Hi I have been following the basics on the category of hands to play pre-flop and up to a point not doing to bad...however the last couple of games I've played have been rubbish...one game there was an all-inner every hand he played he went all in I had a category 2 (QQ) and went all in to see he had (77) first card on flop 7 well beaten! Second game I had OJ flop being AK10 I I checked guy raised I went all in ( as calling was at least 2/3 of my chips) he had A 3 nest two cards JJ lost against a full house! Did I do the right thing?

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 07:49 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2010
Hi Strupper and welcome,

Without a lot of additional information it is difficult to give a detailed analysis of any particular hand however in both instances your logic and reasoning behind getting your chips in can't be faulted, both times you are ahead when the chips go in, both times your opponents hit cards.

The first time you have a good read on your opponent and are confident you are ahead, the second time you have flopped top straight an hit a true bad beat, unless your opponent had a flush draw to back them up.

Skill triumphs over luck given time, if you played those same hands another 499 times each you'd find them to be very profitable plays.

Good luck and keep the faith

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 08:00 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by strupper101 View Post
Hi I have been following the basics on the category of hands to play pre-flop and up to a point not doing to bad...however the last couple of games I've played have been rubbish...one game there was an all-inner every hand he played he went all in I had a category 2 (QQ) and went all in to see he had (77) first card on flop 7 well beaten! Second game I had OJ flop being AK10 I I checked guy raised I went all in ( as calling was at least 2/3 of my chips) he had A 3 nest two cards JJ lost against a full house! Did I do the right thing?
WELCOME TO THE FORUM

BUT ON YOUR SECOND HAND IF THE BOARD IS A K 10 J J
YOU HAVE Q J
OTHER IS A 3
THEN YOU HAVE THE STR8 AND OTHER IS TWO PAIR
SO YOU SHOULD HAVE WON
TRY TO POST THE HAND HISTORY NEXT TIME YOU MUST HAVE GOT SOMETHING WRONG
GOOD LUCK

GOD MORNING BOG

Last edited by hemetdennis; Wed Jul 13, 2011 at 08:14 AM..

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 09:13 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Welcome to the forum strupper.

Like the others say...to properly analyse hands, others need hand histories, or take a look at the live training video by the langolier and learn how to use the hand replayer.

You are always going to have circumstances that will dictate if you can use the starting hands that rank high. Are there multiple players already in? What position are you in? What game are you playing?
All these things must be considered.

Take your time, look through resources, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
There's lots of helpful, knowledgeable people around.

ps. after just noticing your other thread..you can always edit a post you make, just hit the edit button in your post and then save it after your corrections are made....like I did here.

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Wed Jul 13, 2011 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: post script

Old
TY - Wed Jul 13, 2011, 01:16 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2010
WhiteStar
I must admit those loses were a bit of a confidence removal tool! Not played for a couple of days, but thanks for answering, on reflection if the same situation arose again I know I will do the same again...putting it down to bad beat. Once agan thanks

Old
Wink
bad poker - Wed Jul 13, 2011, 06:21 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
got JJ i raise 1 call on the flop 99j i check he went all in i call he plays 6A on turn and r iver AA lol lol this n1 to i got KK iraise on flop 55k ibet he all in he quads 5 lol lol we always remember the bad but never the bad bad they call that lucky

Last edited by craizy; Wed Jul 13, 2011 at 06:39 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com