Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

OPR Rankings...

Old
OPR Rankings... - Wed Jul 13, 2011, 07:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
As with most PSO'ers... I'm always striving to improve my game and part of that process is assessing my opponents both at the tables and off, however I am wondering how much credance should I give to the stats, such as OPR Rankings... etc

For example, my stats for 2011 [below] show that I have won prizes totalling $58 and have a neg ROI of 29%, however I have won approx. $200 [excluding PSO] and have a pos ROI... which is not reflected in my stats because OPR only use scheduled tourneys and + 36 man SnGs, MTTs.

http://www.officialpokerrankings.com...FD055.html?t=2

Any constructive advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 08:20 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy237 View Post
As with most PSO'ers... I'm always striving to improve my game and part of that process is assessing my opponents both at the tables and off, however I am wondering how much credance should I give to the stats, such as OPR Rankings... etc

For example, my stats for 2011 [below] show that I have won prizes totalling $58 and have a neg ROI of 29%, however I have won approx. $200 [excluding PSO] and have a pos ROI... which is not reflected in my stats because OPR only use scheduled tourneys and + 36 man SnGs, MTTs.

opr in my opinion is over rated since they only track certain tournaments

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
Get Poker tracker or HEM

this will help your game in more ways then ya know, ya will be able to find leaks in your game you never knew ya had + it keeps all your data so nothing is a miss

Best of luck

T2C

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 03:09 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:

Keep your own "book" on your play, and be HONEST with yourself by not "accidentally" excluding some games you play.

OPR and the other sites are mainly data mining services set up to be used by various staker/stakee agreements, especially on staking sites. It allows a means to independantly "track" players' and theior performance, so they cannot mis-represent themselves to potential backers. There are more comprehensive tracking sites which cover other sorts of games too.

It should not be used as a replacement for your own records.

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 03:36 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:

IF I was playing in the corresponding tournaments (36 or better runner SNG's,any buy-in MTT's ) then checking out the opponents that I was facing in those was something I always did and even used as my "baseline" in my notes. (My code was any +10% or higher ROI player was ranked high,-10% to +9% was moderate,-30% to -10% mediocre and worse than that bad. And I reserved yellow for really,really bad players--it was my donk default color for rings,cash MTT/SNG's and PSO.)

Once that was done I would add personal observations to my notes. If a player had too few results I would mark them orange,also if they made plays that showed better or worse than their stats indicated they should be. Orange was my judgement pending number. I also marked mega-grinders in the 45 and 90 man games I liked (peeps that would play 25 SNG's a day and up) as it stood to reason that they were playing 6+ tables at any given time which usually makes their play a little more predictable. THAT was actually one of the more useful pieces of information that OPR would divulge IMO.

But I always just used it as PART of the picture and weighed notes off my observations above anything.

I think it's important to understand that for what it DOES track,and the inherent limitations thereof, OPR is pretty good (not tracking things like the Weekly Round 2's and FPP tourneys for example make it a little incomplete...),but the limitations have to be considered. But if someone has a decent number of results(say 300+ or so...) and is trending hard one way or another it's usually readily evident in their play. I would also filter for a 100 game sample of their latest results to see any "run-goods" or sometimes indications that light was dawning on marblehead.

Brian's advice here is excellent IMO. Check out HEM or PT3 (both have free trials,PT3's was 60 days when I tried it back in January/February and has both NLHE and Omaha free trials,you can even run them concurrently). This will keep a running book of player tendencies that will always pop up when you see a player again. More importantly as Brain points out it has great analyzing filters for you to examine YOUR game and find leaks that you were unaware of (I was the frigging Titanic 5 minutes after the iceberg hit in some of the dopey ass things I was doing).

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 04:50 PM
(#6)
I found out that none of those sites track regional games, private games and home games, Some don't track SnG's or anything less than 45 players. Like JD said, get a software and track yourself.

Also lots of people will look at overall stats, which is wrong, as a player could of improve, so like Moxie mentioned, note taking is very important

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 08:35 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
Thank you for the feedback / advice guys... Much appreciated.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com