Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

How would you play?

Old
How would you play? - Wed Jul 13, 2011, 10:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
This is a freeroll
Player 1 has been lucky with loose hands and several have won recently with weak hands
How would you play this hand differently?

FREEROLL
Hold'em No Limit - Level (50/100)
Table: 10-max Seat #3 is the button

Seat 1: (14232 in chips)
Seat 2: (1100 in chips)
Seat 3: (3400 in chips)
Seat 4: (6710 in chips)
Seat 5: (3250 in chips)
Seat 6: (1185 in chips)
Seat 7: (1000 in chips)
Seat 8: (1500 in chips)
Seat 9: (15386 in chips)
Seat 10: ( 1010 in chips)
Seat 4: Posts SB 50
Seat 5: Posts BB 100

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Seat 4 (Me) [Qs Td]

Seat 6: folds
Seat 7: calls 100
Seat 8: folds
Seat 9: calls 100
Seat 10: folds
Seat 1: calls 100
Seat 2: folds
Seat 3: folds
Seat 4: calls 50
Seat 5: checks
*** FLOP *** [8s Qc 6h]
Seat 4: checks
Seat 5: checks
Seat 7: checks
Seat 9: checks
Seat 1: bets 100
Seat 4: calls 100
Seat 5: folds
Seat 7: folds
Seat 9: calls 100
*** TURN *** [8s Qc 6h] [3c]
Seat 4: Checks
Seat 9: bets 100
Seat 1: raises to 1800
Seat 4: ????
Seat 9: folds
*** RIVER *** [8s Qc 6h 3c] [Jh]

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 11:31 PM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
I like your line, up until the ????. I say snap-fold. When you end up in a multi-way pot with this many opponents, the chances of top pair okay kicker being ahead is not great. You should also not expect to be called by a whole lot worse than what you have. So by betting, you're almost turning top pair into a bluff. On the turn, you get a pretty safe card for your hand, so you can start thinking about maybe betting for value, but when you see the shove, you can't call with a one-pair hand. Even calling with bottom two pair here would be bad, I think. The shove might only be a club draw or something silly, but if you call here, it might as well be with king-high, because I see that being ahead roughly as much as only a pair of queens.

Given that this is a freeroll, some of my assumptions might be off, but I think that trying to exploit players based on things you think might be true about their play when you could just keep it simple by playing well yourself is a mistake. So folding is fine. Calling could be way profitable against this particular player, but why take the chance if you don't know for sure?

Old
Wed Jul 13, 2011, 11:46 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
YOU SHOULD FOLD
BUT YOUR A DONKEY SO YOU CALLED

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 12:48 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
In the spot you are in, you are either way ahead or way behind.

T kick is not very strong at all, so there isn't much you are liekly to be ahead of, even versus loose player. Chances are too strong this guy betting here has either binked a 2 outer, hit his kicker, or something else that is now ahead of you if you were EVER ahead...

Lacking any sort of real re-draw, calling a 2 x pot bet for anything more than about .000005% of your stack holding the hand you do is going to be pretty dumb. There is ZERO reason to try making a huge "hero call" for this much of your stack when you only have 200 chips invested in this pot.

Fold.

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 10:23 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
YOU SHOULD FOLD

Real constuctive dennis

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 10:26 AM
(#6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
YOU SHOULD FOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
In the spot you are in, you are either way ahead or way behind.

T kick is not very strong at all, so there isn't much you are liekly to be ahead of, even versus loose player. Chances are too strong this guy betting here has either binked a 2 outer, hit his kicker, or something else that is now ahead of you if you were EVER ahead...

Lacking any sort of real re-draw, calling a 2 x pot bet for anything more than about .000005% of your stack holding the hand you do is going to be pretty dumb. There is ZERO reason to try making a huge "hero call" for this much of your stack when you only have 200 chips invested in this pot.

Fold.
+1 lots of playability left after fold free roll or not. gl out there joker. stack em high! MT

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 10:26 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
sounds like seat 1 has QJ.. was worried about their kicker, then when hit their 2nd pair... went nuts. I'd be mucking it.

I'd have raised the flop to see where I'm at in the hand.

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 10:32 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnestegg View Post
Real constuctive dennis
Dennis and J are actually club mates...he's doin' a little flamin' to his bud.

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
(#9)
My bad.... Sorry didn't know. excellent post then

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 11:35 AM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2009
BronzeStar
I would've played the flop and turn more aggressively (fold equity + information - if they reraise QT is probs not good). River is fold.

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 11:40 AM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
calling a 2 x pot bet for anything more than about .000005% of your stack holding the hand you do is going to be pretty dumb.
really? and when will a 2 x pot bet ever be only .000005% of ur stack? the better explanation is that pump n' shove isn't a good strategy in deep stack play...ur SPR (stack-to-pot ratio) is too big at 50/100

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 12:55 PM
(#12)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
If the OP is considering what to do on the turn then there's not much anyone can do in this post.

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 05:14 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup143 View Post
really? and when will a 2 x pot bet ever be only .000005% of ur stack? the better explanation is that pump n' shove isn't a good strategy in deep stack play...ur SPR (stack-to-pot ratio) is too big at 50/100
answer: NEVER. (Or almost never).

...But if you happen to find yourself in an MTT that started with 100k stacks,
has about 10,000 runners,
and has started at 1/2 blinds,
AND if you happen to bust out the first 10 people seated at your table...
You MIGHT find a 2 x pot bet is .000005% of your stack to call.

That was the point.

Last edited by JDean; Thu Jul 14, 2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 05:27 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf70 View Post
I would've played the flop and turn more aggressively (fold equity + information - if they reraise QT is probs not good). River is fold.
I dis-like this response, for this hand.

One of the limpers here (seat 7) is a 1k stack. Versus that stack there is very little FE if he holds a Q. If the other 2 stacks, both very large compared to the OP's (and as stated quite "loose"), were the only 2 in the hand, a more aggressive line to take the betting lead might be more in order, but not with that shortie limper.

A T kicker has very little chance of being "good" if that short stack calls an "aggressive" top pair hit bet by the OP here, so that more aggresso line will tend to result in losing more if a shortie decides to stand, or folding out the one hand you could "afford" to play for stacks against.

When you factor in that seat 7 also really should NOT be limping light, the chances he has spiked "big" (or started big), or nothing at all go way up. I'm just not a "fan" of putting myself at risk for a 13% chip loss when there is almost no chance I am getting called by a worse hand.

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 06:34 PM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hen-Golden View Post
If the OP is considering what to do on the turn then there's not much anyone can do in this post.
I'm actually quite stubborn in my ways but posted this in the manner that i did to raise debate of how to act from this point and to possibly learn something from a different perspective.

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 06:37 PM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
SO WHAT DID YOU DO ???

Old
Mon Jul 25, 2011, 05:05 PM
(#17)
Since: Jul 2011
these freeroll hands are silly to analyse honestly, there is nothing to lose and that is an important part of poker........your reverse implied odds........they just dont exist in freerolls and some micro games

In this spot i would flat the flop and donk bet the turn, then reanalyse the hand if raised......when the river hits its a clear bet fold spot imo........

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com