Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

smell the weakness and opt to bluff

Old
smell the weakness and opt to bluff - Thu Jul 14, 2011, 10:31 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
it's always very dodgy bluff betting into someone on 2 streets but after the weakness he showed i just felt compelled to do it, quite possibly a bad play on my part and could well bite me in the azz in the future but it worked this time and that was all that mattered.

i had no reads whatsoever as i was just moved to this table so it was all on hand read and gut read.

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 10:53 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahooza1 View Post
it worked this time and that was all that mattered.
Seems like a confusing belief to have if you're concerned about this being a bad play, imo.

Your bet on the turn is fishy, because if you have a king, there's little reason you wouldn't raise preflop or bet the flop. When you bet the turn, what you're trying to do is make whiffed hands fold. That would have been easier on the flop, imo, so that's probably where you should have bet. Given that the villain actually called a bet, they're either likely to offer implied odds because they're stubborn, or be playing scared and can be easily bluffed. I'd note those things and try to refine my read later.

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 11:04 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
thanks PP, interesting thoughts there, my own thoughts at the time was that when he checked the flop i put him on ace rag straight away, my bet on the turn was to rep the king/9, the call i got was telling me that he wasn't believing i had the king and was willing to chase the ace, i made my river bet quite large in relation to my turn bet to rep that king again but he obv missed his ace and had to fold.

having said that he could well have been calling with something like JQ/J10/Q10 for the gutty, i'll never know. not a play i use regurlarly or recommend but his call preflop and flop check was enough for me to take the lead,

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 02:07 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd have put them on 10 9 at best, probably Q 10 or Q J. It also could easily look to them like you were slowplaying a K.

If your read put them as being a fish.. no problem with disguising a bluff every-so-often. What you dont' want to do if you're making a bluff like that is to go all-in, because then they're more inclined to think it's a bluff and call.

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 03:01 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
I'd have put them on 10 9 at best, probably Q 10 or Q J. It also could easily look to them like you were slowplaying a K.

If your read put them as being a fish.. no problem with disguising a bluff every-so-often. What you dont' want to do if you're making a bluff like that is to go all-in, because then they're more inclined to think it's a bluff and call.
I'm well aware about disguising your bluffs by just betting the way you would if you had a hand. it's very interesting that you say that because the hand that got me going in that tourney was someone went all in against me earlier in the tourney on a K high flop, i held pocket Q's and took me ages to decide to call, especially when it was early on and risking a big minus, i'll fish the hand out of my replayer....

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

no need to evaluate because i know really it was a bad call from me in relation to bet/pot size, though my read was that he was an ATC donkey

P.S. please make a donkey smiley face please PSO

Old
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 08:07 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Bluffing's so important to me, because if it's just about the cards ... yikes!!! In theory, I guess we're supposed to be profiting in the long run so long as we get the chips into the middle when the odds are in our favor, right? But wow ... how many times does AK have to lose to AQ and K9 before they'll actually hold up?

On the other hand, there's always those slowplayers, and those people who even if you tell a good story and feel that they're probably beat, still call. Anybody sometimes bluff so much it starts to feel like people are starting to become a little suspicious haha? I've been thinking of maybe toning down the bluffing to spots like:

(1) Small-ball - when people won't feel so invested in pots
(2) When my stack has them covered at least 2 to 3x over, so a call won't put my tournament life in jeopardy
(3) When in position

I guess I'll see how it goes Anybody have any rules of thumb they use when they think about bluffing?

PS Also, I don't always tell good 'stories' with my bluff ... so often I'm just doing the 'gut' thing - and who knows, maybe that's just my supper moving around hahaha So I'm feeling like maybe it might be +EV to tone it down until I get better at that? Still trying stuff out

Last edited by TrustySam; Thu Jul 14, 2011 at 08:13 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com