Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Tips for new players

Old
Default
Tips for new players - Thu Jul 14, 2011, 03:19 PM
(#1)
Deleted user
It took me a while to figure out some stuff about stars and thought I would get a post going on things
we learned and would like to pass on.

1.)How do you bet odd amounts?
A) click on the bet amount and clear the amount,now type in the amount you want to bet.


2.) How are you betting a set percentage of the pot?
A.) click options next to requests on the upper portion of your screen.
Now click bet slider options. I have mine set for tourneys so the the first one is set @ 2.1xbb
but of course I am changing these all right now.Button 2 was 2.3 and 3rd button was 3.5xbb.
Just to give you a idea of numbers.
Percentage of pot was 50%,60% and 80%..I used 80% mainly against fish.

3.)How do I save a hand history?
A.) On the upper right of the table is a red button.On the left of it is the table # and hand#,click on that and it opens up a screen that you now click through till you find the hand you wanted.
Now go to the upper menu bar and click on "edit".
Click copy and now you can paste it anywhere you want.
You can also highlight the hand and drag it onto your screen.
This saves it as well.

4.)How can I replay a hand and see what the opponent had?
Red button top right corner,click on it and it will open a replayer that you can play a set amount of hands at the table.
This is a good feature if you have just been moved in a tourney and want to get a idea of who is aggressive and their hand ranges.Usually you can see 7 hands before you arrived.

Any more tips that are basic and not related to PSO,feel free to add or correct.
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 03:41 PM
(#2)
!!!111Dan's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,290
nevermind...was #2...getting old here.


.....

Last edited by !!!111Dan; Thu Jul 14, 2011 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: need a break
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 03:45 PM
(#3)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
GOOD INFO. COOKIES TOOK ME SOME TIME TO FIND ALL THIS STUFF

 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#4)
roomik17's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,556
BronzeStar
good stuff cookies.... I think I will now start a thread with the exact same info and see if I get more replies
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 04:52 PM
(#5)
bogweed1964's Avatar
Since: Jan 2010
Posts: 774
Don't forget to tell them not to follow the light Roomy
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 05:03 PM
(#6)
Deleted user
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
good stuff cookies.... I think I will now start a thread with the exact same info and see if I get more replies
Im still baffled on why that happens
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 06:42 PM
(#7)
joker41673's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,850
Children are more into spongebob than a cookie monster!!

 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 06:50 PM
(#8)
ssuglia's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,393
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
2.) How are you betting a set percentage of the pot?
A.) click options next to requests on the upper portion of your screen.
Now click bet slider options. I have mine set for tourneys so the the first one is set @ 2.1xbb
but of course I am changing these all right now.Button 2 was 2.3 and 3rd button was 3.5xbb.
Just to give you a idea of numbers.
Percentage of pot was 50%,60% and 80%..I used 80% mainly against fish.
I played on Stars for a little over a year before Black Friday, and had no idea you could do that. I used to calculate the percentages in my head. I got pretty good after a while at knowing what my bet sizes should be at different blind levels, but I couldn't tell you how many times I timed out (or requested time) trying to calculate my bet sizes.

Good stuff Cookies.

I'll have to remember this when they let us back on Stars.
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 06:52 PM
(#9)
ssuglia's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,393
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker41673 View Post
Children are more into spongebob than a cookie monster!!

Children these days don't have many choices when it comes to good cartoons.
 
Old
Default
Thu Jul 14, 2011, 07:10 PM
(#10)
!!!111Dan's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssuglia View Post
I played on Stars for a little over a year before Black Friday, and had no idea you could do that. I used to calculate the percentages in my head. I got pretty good after a while at knowing what my bet sizes should be at different blind levels, but I couldn't tell you how many times I timed out (or requested time) trying to calculate my bet sizes.

Good stuff Cookies.

I'll have to remember this when they let us back on Stars.
I don't think it was there for very long before Black Friday. I remember a bunch of us in vent finding it around February or maybe a little before. It may have been there, but a lot of us didn't know.
I like that you can change it while playing too. A lot of the time early in tourneys I would use some standard stuff, like 2.5, 3, 3.5...then as we got deep, I'd change it to 2.2, 2.4, 2.7..depending on the players, stack and such.
 
Old
Default
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 02:12 AM
(#11)
TrustySam's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,291
BronzeStar
I didn't realize we could color-code notes until Moxie Pip was talking about it the other day here in this thread:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...8-OPR-Rankings...

Is that new?

I've been labelling straight-forward players as green, and maniacs as red (VPIP/PFR of like 85/50 lololllolloool!) ... I may add some extra 'fancy' later on!

(Not good at describing instructions - but thought that was a pretty cool feature )
 
Old
Default
More tips for new players - Fri Jul 15, 2011, 02:21 AM
(#12)
CorkiePoker's Avatar
Since: Jul 2011
Posts: 104
Your hand is not as good as you think it is.

Fold.
 
Old
Default
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 02:50 AM
(#13)
hemetdennis's Avatar
Since: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,019
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
I didn't realize we could color-code notes until Moxie Pip was talking about it the other day here in this thread:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...8-OPR-Rankings...

Is that new?

I've been labelling straight-forward players as green, and maniacs as red (VPIP/PFR of like 85/50 lololllolloool!) ... I may add some extra 'fancy' later on!

(Not good at describing instructions - but thought that was a pretty cool feature )

THAT'S BEEN THERE FOR A LONG TIME
MAKES IT KIND OF EASY TO MARK A LOT OF PEOPLE QUICK

 
Old
Default
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 08:14 AM
(#14)
spike8998's Avatar
Since: Apr 2010
Posts: 853
If a player at the table is chatting to you and you are not interested in them
Right click the players avatar and block chat bubble/block chat
 
Old
Default
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 09:09 AM
(#15)
!!!111Dan's Avatar
Since: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
I didn't realize we could color-code notes until Moxie Pip was talking about it the other day here in this thread:

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/for...8-OPR-Rankings...

Is that new?

I've been labelling straight-forward players as green, and maniacs as red (VPIP/PFR of like 85/50 lololllolloool!) ... I may add some extra 'fancy' later on!

(Not good at describing instructions - but thought that was a pretty cool feature )
You can even change the colors too Sam.
To color a player, double click on them, then notes will pop up in your chat box. On the left of the players name will be a small white box that changes to yellow if you enter a note. Click on that white/ yellow box and you get choices of colors to change to pop up. You can do this with no player in the notes too...just hit notes, then the empty white box.
To change the preset colors.....
...once you have the color choices pop up, at the bottom it will say "edit player labels." Click that and now you have a window pop up with the preset colors. Here, you can even label your choices for whatever you want..maybe green for maniacal, red for TAG, Blue for LAG...and so on.
While that window is open, click on the color and you get a bunch of choices. To get a complete spectrum of colors to choose from, hit 'define custom colors' and there ya' go.
 
Old
Default
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 05:57 PM
(#16)
TrustySam's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,291
BronzeStar
Hey, thanks Dennis and Dan!!!

That helps a lot - I just found it by accident when I was inspecting somebody's avi and my mouse accidentally clicked on it and gave me all these options

I didn't know we could change it in the chat box too ... I'd seen that little box, but I just thought it was a box lol! Will have to tinker around with it next time I play to check out all that other stuff. The colors are kind of neat because it's like a visual warning sign to pay closer attention - red light, green light sort of a deal. But then I couldn't remember what the other colors I was giving out were supposed to mean so I had to scale it back - so having a color chart with labels would sure help

Thx so much!!!
 
Old
Default
Fri Jul 15, 2011, 11:41 PM
(#17)
spike8998's Avatar
Since: Apr 2010
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Hey, thanks Dennis and Dan!!!

That helps a lot - I just found it by accident when I was inspecting somebody's avi and my mouse accidentally clicked on it and gave me all these options

I didn't know we could change it in the chat box too ... I'd seen that little box, but I just thought it was a box lol! Will have to tinker around with it next time I play to check out all that other stuff. The colors are kind of neat because it's like a visual warning sign to pay closer attention - red light, green light sort of a deal. But then I couldn't remember what the other colors I was giving out were supposed to mean so I had to scale it back - so having a color chart with labels would sure help

Thx so much!!!
If you don't like the default colours you can change them via the edit facility
I got 1 called dog shyt brown for shovers
 
Old
Default
Sat Jul 16, 2011, 12:06 AM
(#18)
TrustySam's Avatar
Since: Aug 2010
Posts: 8,291
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8998 View Post
If you don't like the default colours you can change them via the edit facility
I got 1 called dog shyt brown for shovers
LOLLLOLLLLOOOOLLL!!!!!!!

+EV!
 

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com