Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

sick hand

Old
Angry
sick hand - Sun Jul 17, 2011, 06:56 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2009
I don't know how to use the gizmo so just posted plain style. My read was that if my opponent wanted called he/she would always make the bet size attractive. Pretty gutted considering.

PokerStars Game #64667870516: Tournament #415648130, $1.35+$0.15 USD Omaha Pot Limit - Level V (40/80) - 2011/07/17 6:36:28 ET
Table '415648130 1' 10-max Seat #10 is the button
Seat 2: GODcedars (2120 in chips)
Seat 4: Jimmy Trap (2290 in chips)
Seat 5: slee44 (1635 in chips)
Seat 8: 230(°__°)609 (1450 in chips)
Seat 9: Ganglion4 (6025 in chips)
Seat 10: Popov-179 (1480 in chips)
GODcedars: posts small blind 40
Jimmy Trap: posts big blind 80
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Jimmy Trap [8h Qc Ac Jc]
slee44: folds
230(°__°)609: folds
Ganglion4: calls 80
Popov-179: folds
GODcedars: calls 40
Jimmy Trap: checks
*** FLOP *** [Qh Qd 4c]
GODcedars: checks
Jimmy Trap: bets 160
Ganglion4: raises 160 to 320
GODcedars: folds
Jimmy Trap: calls 160
*** TURN *** [Qh Qd 4c] [3c]
Jimmy Trap: checks
Ganglion4: bets 880
Jimmy Trap: raises 1010 to 1890 and is all-in
Ganglion4: calls 1010
*** RIVER *** [Qh Qd 4c 3c] [Td]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Jimmy Trap: shows [8h Qc Ac Jc] (three of a kind, Queens)
Ganglion4: shows [Ks 5c Tc Th] (a full house, Tens full of Queens)

Old
Sun Jul 17, 2011, 11:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
you got extremely unlucky. Their bets and calling with absolutely nothing were horrible.

With a pair on the board in Omaha, you always have to be on the lookout for a full house. The starting hands people should be playing are suited aces and pairs... so someone could always have a full house. Trips with a pair on the board do not win at omaha very often.

Old
Sun Jul 17, 2011, 05:24 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2009
thanks 4 the feedback JW. i realise how vulnerable trips are to draws and full houses. i was reading weakness and went with it. i didn't really want called but if i was i had the nut flush covered and had more outs to the best fh if my opponent had worst case scenario: Q3, Q4 ,33, 44 (i didn't give that credit as the bet seemed too big considering my opponents tendencies).

Old
Sun Jul 17, 2011, 06:58 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Trap View Post
thanks 4 the feedback JW. i realise how vulnerable trips are to draws and full houses. i was reading weakness and went with it. i didn't really want called but if i was i had the nut flush covered and had more outs to the best fh if my opponent had worst case scenario: Q3, Q4 ,33, 44 (i didn't give that credit as the bet seemed too big considering my opponents tendencies).
If you get a read like that, exploit it. You lost this time, but it WILL work out for you in the long run.

Old
Sun Jul 17, 2011, 08:18 PM
(#5)
I wouldn't lead this flop in omaha, the rainbow board is so dry I don't think your getting action from anything less than full house, at least not from any half decent omaha player. Your lead allows your opponent's to fold worse hands and only continue when he has you nailed. I would rather check/call the flop, which gives your opponent the chance to bluff or even value-town himself if he happens to have the case Q with worse kicker, while also keeping the pot small if he does have the full house. Trips on a paired board in omaha don't like to play monster pots because when your getting that much action your usually beat, so I'd rather be taking pot control lines with this kind of hand.

As played I would have folded to this guys bet on the turn. He min raised your bet on the flop, and pot bets the turn, that seems really strong to me, like AKQ4, QJT4, or 44xx etc..trying to stack you off now that you've shown interest. I think you have to be extremely confident in your reads of this guy to get it on the turn.

Old
Sun Jul 17, 2011, 09:24 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaidInFull6 View Post
I wouldn't lead this flop in omaha, the rainbow board is so dry I don't think your getting action from anything less than full house, at least not from any half decent omaha player. Your lead allows your opponent's to fold worse hands and only continue when he has you nailed. I would rather check/call the flop, which gives your opponent the chance to bluff or even value-town himself if he happens to have the case Q with worse kicker, while also keeping the pot small if he does have the full house. Trips on a paired board in omaha don't like to play monster pots because when your getting that much action your usually beat, so I'd rather be taking pot control lines with this kind of hand.

As played I would have folded to this guys bet on the turn. He min raised your bet on the flop, and pot bets the turn, that seems really strong to me, like AKQ4, QJT4, or 44xx etc..trying to stack you off now that you've shown interest. I think you have to be extremely confident in your reads of this guy to get it on the turn.
+1, spot on.

Old
Mon Jul 18, 2011, 11:04 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
just to clarify, u can't have trips without a pair on the board. u can have a set, which is a three of a kind using a pocket pair. trips is a hole card that combines with a pair on the board.

Old
Mon Jul 25, 2011, 09:05 AM
(#8)
Since: Jul 2011
IMO you played the hand well just bad result unlucky

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com