Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Is there anything i should have done differently to prevent this bad beat

Old
Is there anything i should have done differently to prevent this bad beat - Tue Jul 19, 2011, 01:32 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
PokerStars Game #64752767318: Hold'em Pot Limit ($0.10/$0.25 USD) - 2011/07/19 0:30:11 ET
Table 'Eurydome III' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: hah0l ($33.22 in chips)
Seat 3: captain59 ($49.58 in chips)
Seat 5: viki36 ($25 in chips)
Seat 7: tatarin77 ($8.98 in chips)
Seat 8: DiLorDi ($10 in chips)
Seat 9: Samurai j877 ($40.49 in chips)
McGuires5 will be allowed to play after the button
captain59: posts small blind $0.10
No postflop: is sitting out
viki36: posts big blind $0.25
No postflop leaves the table
G4st0nR: sits out
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Samurai j877 [Qc Th]
tatarin77: folds
DiLorDi: folds
Samurai j877: calls $0.25
hah0l: folds
zeneil joins the table at seat #4
captain59: calls $0.15
viki36: checks
*** FLOP *** [7c Td Qh]
captain59: bets $0.72
viki36: folds
Samurai j877: calls $0.72
*** TURN *** [7c Td Qh] [Qs]
captain59: bets $2.09
Samurai j877: calls $2.09
*** RIVER *** [7c Td Qh Qs] [7h]
captain59: bets $6.06
Samurai j877: raises $18.18 to $24.24
captain59: raises $22.28 to $46.52 and is all-in
Samurai j877: calls $13.19 and is all-in
Uncalled bet ($9.09) returned to captain59
*** SHOW DOWN ***
captain59: shows [7d 7s] (four of a kind, Sevens)
Samurai j877: mucks hand
captain59 collected $79.23 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $81.23 | Rake $2
Board [7c Td Qh Qs 7h]
Seat 1: hah0l (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: captain59 (small blind) showed [7d 7s] and won ($79.23) with four of a kind, Sevens
Seat 5: viki36 (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 7: tatarin77 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: DiLorDi folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: Samurai j877 mucked [Qc Th]

In my analysis i thought he must have AQ and thinking he has queen to seven fullhouse wouldn't mind all in as i had a better fullhouse.But as it turns out i was wrong.Do you think i could have done anything differently.Waiting for ur suggestions..

Old
Tue Jul 19, 2011, 01:41 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
The money was going in the middle almost no matter how this was played. Had you raised on the flop, you might have gotten a reraise, but it's still hard to justify laying down two pair there. You just can't put someone on quads in Hold'em, almost ever. Putting them on a flopped set is hard enough. You were doing great against their range, I'm sure.

Generally, if it's a bad beat, don't worry about it. Beats happen, and they're pretty cancerous if you dwell on them.

Old
Tue Jul 19, 2011, 10:32 AM
(#3)
Since: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
The money was going in the middle almost no matter how this was played. Had you raised on the flop, you might have gotten a reraise, but it's still hard to justify laying down two pair there. You just can't put someone on quads in Hold'em, almost ever. Putting them on a flopped set is hard enough. You were doing great against their range, I'm sure.

Generally, if it's a bad beat, don't worry about it. Beats happen, and they're pretty cancerous if you dwell on them.
I agree with Panicky, This is one of the worst bad beats i have ever seen, very unlucky. If you had psychic powers and knew his cards you could have prevented it though! (Man i gotta get powers like that....) Bad beat plain and simple

Old
Tue Jul 19, 2011, 12:06 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree too. I'd be doing whatever I could to get the $$ in the pot. There's only 1 combination of cards that can beat you and unfortunately they had it.
Basically anyone playing poker that has a clue is going to go broke with that hand.

Old
Tue Jul 19, 2011, 07:19 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
This month with the time I used to spend playing PSO games, instead I've been playing Micro-stakes Sit n Go's and Cash Tournaments with slightly deeper stacks, and so there's much less clock-counting and more hands being played, and I've been seeing 4-of-a-kind a lot more. Five times in the last 2 days alone, twice with pots I've been involved in.

Four-of-a-kind is a nasty hand to get when you're a beginner because it's common enough apparently, but still rare enough that we're not going to have seen enough of them to have seen patterns and stuff. The two times I lost to four-of-a-kinds, they were both actually all-ins before the flop, so those don't really help. But I've actually been the one to have the four-of-a-kind before, and both times they were up against full houses, which were the second-best hand. So I figure it's just a matter of time before the shoe's on the other foot.

Combine that with the fact that I keep getting slow-rolled because I'm always thinking my cup is half full ( ), and maybe there's something to be learned from this hand? I don't know ...

Let's see ...

Preflop: Hero is CO with ,
2 folds, Hero calls $0.25, 1 fold, SB calls $0.15, BB checks

Flop: ($0.75) , , (3 players)
SB bets $0.72, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.72

Turn: ($2.19) (2 players)
SB bets $2.09, Hero calls $2.09

River: ($6.37) (2 players)
SB bets $6.06, Hero raises to $24.24, SB raises to $46.52 (All-In), Hero calls $13.19 (All-In)

Total pot: $81.23 | Rake: $2

So ...

Old
Tue Jul 19, 2011, 07:32 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Hmmm ... I guess one thing that's a little unusual is that they were betting pot-sized the whole way through. They just called, and then they barrelled it on all three streets.

Also, they didn't let up on the turn - they got called, but then didn't hesitate on the turn ... that doesn't necessarily scream 'boat', but if they just had a trip, maybe people out of position might tend to slow down a bit in that situation, even with AQ? I don't know?

On the other hand, they flopped a set, and so often people out of position will just check and hope somebody behind them has a Q and bets out - and here they didn't do that.

Some other random thoughts - I guess they were ahead on all streets except for the turn. But on the other hand, they were behind on the turn, and drawing to one out.

I don't know ... that's all I got. I saw a wild hand on youtube the other day from a WSOP from years past - somebody made quad A's on the river, and LOST! Beat by a royal flush. Never seen that before! I don't know what made me think of that - I guess just the fact that sometimes even when you hit a great hand, you can still sometimes lose. But it's rare. But I guess just because it's rare, doesn't mean we shouldn't at least have it in our minds as a distinct possibility (albeit rare). I'd have shoved too Samurai ... like everybody said there was only one hand that you were losing to - worth the risk

Old
Tue Jul 19, 2011, 10:59 PM
(#7)
BronzeStar
Lost to two quads in two hours - the really sad part is that I thought my A high was good!

They both pre-flop raised, then did a post-flop check out of position (they flopped their quads) ... maybe in that instance, that might be an alarm bell that they're either not super happy with the flop or else super-strong? One of them I suspected might have had a trip, but not a quad - have to work on that!

Because there's a couple of books out there that say that when the board pairs on the flop, that's oftentimes a great place to bluff in position because so often people will have missed the flop. But I guess maybe while that might be true most of the time, it's entirely possible somebody might have flopped a trip, a boat, or a quad - not likely, but entirely possible.

Have to work on that - the one that gets me every time is the set - because with a board like 8JK, there's no overt signs I guess? And what do you do if you have 2pr and get check-raised?

Lots of really tricky boards/hands - I guess an alternative might be to pot-control whenever there's lots of action (raises and check-raises)?

I don't know ... just a mishmash of some random ideas ...

Old
Wed Jul 20, 2011, 02:07 AM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
going to the river, you're a 96% fav... If I'm in that situation, I want every chip that I can get into the pot.

Old
Wed Jul 20, 2011, 06:45 PM
(#9)
If you can't put it all in with the nut boat, you're playing the wrong game. I'm going broke with your hand 100% of the time there. When he shows you the quads, you say Nice Hand, Sir and rebuy. He's more likely to hold any other hand that contains a Q, or (even better) some hand that has a 7 and he's drawing to 1 out. Best advice I can offer is try not to break your mouse when you see the quads, it ends the game if you don't have a spare...

Old
Wed Jul 20, 2011, 07:44 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
I think I may have spotted a bit of a tell.

The villain's barrelling away, out of position, and getting called. If they had AQ, they'd have to be wondering exactly is going to be calling their monster bets. The pre-flop limp rules out AA and KK, so that only leaves a couple of options, especially after the 2nd Q hits:

(kicker)

(suited)

By the river, any other Q is tied because the board paired again, so the kicker advantage is neutralized. TT is far behind, and they should know they can't beat anything, so they're not going to call a raise. QT and 77 are far ahead, and so there's no advantage to betting.

I've heard a lot of people when they think they're tied for a pot won't bet, to minimize the rake. Hence the river bet might have been a red flag - because there was nothing to be gained by betting AQ.

That being said, I'm still jamming it on the river. But my new thing, is that any time the board pairs, I'm automatically thinking trip/boat/quad as possibility. They're statistical long-shots, but if I'm going to jam the pot, I want to at least be prepared for the possibility that I might still be beat. Like sometimes it's the surprise that's more upsetting than the loss?

Old
Mon Jul 25, 2011, 09:03 AM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2011
nothing you do

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com