Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Great Hands #18 - The Big Game - Week 11, Hand 128 - Brunson vs Seiver. 2s2h vs Kd5d.

Old
Great Hands #18 - The Big Game - Week 11, Hand 128 - Brunson vs Seiver. 2s2h vs Kd5d. - Wed Jul 20, 2011, 01:33 PM
(#1)
Since: May 2010
(Administrator)
WhiteStar
Great Hands #18 - he Big Game - Week 11, Hand 128 - Brunson vs Seiver. 2s2h vs Kd5d.

Watch video here.

Would you have acted the same way? What would you have done differently? Share your thoughts and feedback via this forum discussion about this hand.

Regards

Team PokerSchoolOnline - Administration

Last edited by PSO Admin; Thu Aug 04, 2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old
Thu Jul 21, 2011, 11:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
interesting... I had almost the same hand last night.

I raised preflop, just like Doyle did, with 22. I did do something different though... checked the flop to trap since there were no flush draws, nor str8 draws that should call a preflop raise. I called their bet which I figured correctly was top pair, then led out on the turn and river.

By checking the flop, it actually worked out better for me, because I was able to keep the opp in the hand and get more value from it.

Old
Thu Jul 21, 2011, 07:32 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
I loved this hand. It might be because I knew what the cards were, but I got a sinking feeling right when Doyle made his turn bet, and I think that Scott felt similarly. I think that analysis of this hand requires a lot of knowledge of the players' betting tendencies, but this is what I saw:

Doyle opened for a raise and cbet about 2/3x the pot. Then, he bombed the turn on a super dry board. When I bet flops for value or as a bluff, it's usually around half or two-thirds the pot. I do this with sets, too. My turn barrels are usually sized the same way, both to control the pot and to get value from weaker hands. But when I think my set is good on the turn, I typically bomb it like Doyle did, just hoping for value, and I think that's what most players naturally do, because they know they have a hammerlock on the hand and are tripping over themselves to milk their hand for as much as they possibly can. It also makes sense that if anyone at the table would play this way, it would be Doyle, because as good as he is, he's by far the most straightforward player at the table.

Scott might have taken the turn barrel to mean that his fold equity (a.k.a. his skill edge) had disappeared, and his hand was no longer good. He also probably figured that if that feeling was right, his reverse implied odds were pretty big, so there would be nothing wrong with folding the turn. I could be way off, but that could be what happened.

I'd be very curious to hear what people think of my hand analysis skillz here.

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Thu Jul 21, 2011 at 07:38 PM..

Old
Tue Aug 02, 2011, 08:20 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2011
BronzeStar
I dont think your check on the flop did get most value from the hand. He called the turn and called the river so he certainly would have at least called the flop bet as he is expecting a continue bet from you a large percentage of the time. If you had put him on the king then you should bet the flop.. This presents a chance he raises you as a lot of people would with top pair and worst case scenario he flat calls and calls the turn and the river which is what happened anyway.
If you were certain that the flop completely missed his range then maybe a check to let him bluff or take a free card to catch up is worth while. But leading out is definately the play that makes the most profit in the long run here

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com