Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

pocket kings going down

Old
pocket kings going down - Mon Jul 25, 2011, 06:30 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

i havent had pocket kings in a long time since everyone folded before me i thought i would push my pocket kings for my last 1250 chips,ebig blind calls with A,9 and same result the last 3 days my premium hand taking a beat,i know theres bad beats in poker and there part off the game but being crunch time less the a week away to qualify for premier league i cant afford to lose valuable being a low volume player,now starting tomorrow im gona start folding every hand not playing and keep running the clock every time,this way atleast i can protect the points that i all ready have,good luck to everyone else at the tables

Old
Mon Jul 25, 2011, 07:10 PM
(#2)
1) Why do people go all in?
2) Even by going all in, if everybody had folded, you were not getting value for those cards
3) You still had to face the big stack, how did he get that stack? What type of player was he? He's not even part of the league, shouldn't that say something?
4) To those players, when someone goes all in, it means that you haven't got much and if he's got A or K high, he's all in no matter what.

When playing higher stake poker, it's very rare to see an all in, only in freerolls do you see so many. So wait for better position and know who's left to talk.

You still had a good stack to reach positive points
GL next time

Old
Mon Jul 25, 2011, 07:41 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post
2) Even by going all in, if everybody had folded, you were not getting value for those cards
3) You still had to face the big stack, how did he get that stack? What type of player was he? He's not even part of the league, shouldn't that say something?
4) To those players, when someone goes all in, it means that you haven't got much and if he's got A or K high, he's all in no matter what.

When playing higher stake poker, it's very rare to see an all in, only in freerolls do you see so many. So wait for better position and know who's left to talk.

GL next time
thanks for your input and your right i did have a decent enough stack to probabley make positive points,im off work this week so i still have lots off time to play good luck to you to

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 12:47 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap777 View Post

GL next time
Some nice tips there Sandtrap - thx for the help!

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 01:37 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2011
BronzeStar
I have played at the same table when it happens and was confused when I saw All-in from you. Especially when i read your post in this forum about folded AK in early position and you get positive feedback for this action.

As I practically play only in freerall tournaments I saw a lot of All-in actions form pre-flop and most of them had unpredictable endings.

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 02:16 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Now if I can just follow through on the advice, I should be able to get more points - hard to go back and forth from PSO to other tables and back again, so I just went and did the same thing as Ron ... and got the exact same result

The difference for me though is that I'm so much farther down the leaderboard I think I still get a couple of points (or at least minimize the negative).

It's kind of lame to sit out to get points, but it's getting so late in the month I might have to, just to compensate - those 8 or 9 points can add up.

I'll have to try to remember to not get the Global League confused with a Sit N Go next time

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 02:56 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Now if I can just follow through on the advice, I should be able to get more points - hard to go back and forth from PSO to other tables and back again, so I just went and did the same thing as Ron ... and got the exact same result

The difference for me though is that I'm so much farther down the leaderboard I think I still get a couple of points (or at least minimize the negative).

It's kind of lame to sit out to get points, but it's getting so late in the month I might have to, just to compensate - those 8 or 9 points can add up.

I'll have to try to remember to not get the Global League confused with a Sit N Go next time
if you make it past the bubble you can get more then 8or9points

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 03:48 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
bummer for u dude!!

but i've seen the most strange plays last month that even we do the most strange things for points!! like me laying down AK with a AQJ board(see post)

try to overcome the next couple of days and they say there will be light after the 3rd lol.

i hope i can play some of u guys next month to feel the difference!!

gl all

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 04:34 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wopke77 View Post
bummer for u dude!!

but i've seen the most strange plays last month that even we do the most strange things for points!! like me laying down AK with a AQJ board(see post)

try to overcome the next couple of days and they say there will be light after the 3rd lol.

i hope i can play some of u guys next month to feel the difference!!

gl all

Don't see where the villain's play here was "strange" so to speak. He already has 200 in the pot and it's costing him roughly 7% of his remaining stack to call here. And you can even forget all that if you want because for someone to have that stack at this stage of a PSO you can take a guess as to what kind of player they are and damnit,HE HAS AN ACE,lol.

Look ron anyone with THAT stack at this stage of a PSO and an Ace in their hand is calling you 1000 times out of 1000. And since your'e 70% here you WANT the call.

The one point that someone made here that I think is worth considering the most is Trap's point #2---that shoving here may rob you of value because if the table folds around then you cheapened your kings.

The flip side of that though is that if you don't open-shove here then what line do you take? There's no way that you're folding this hand ever in this spot so that's out. Open limping any hand isn't good poker,open limping KK should get you relegated to the Hubbles ghetto for a month. So much for that.

So that leaves a non-shove raise. My problem with NOT shoving in this spot is that at 6 BB's what do you do instead? A in-bet for 1/3rd of your stack? I really don't like that play. A 3x bet for half your stack? I really,really don't like that play.

So whilst I agree wholeheartedly with freerolls and lower limit games being too shove-happy as a rule (thank the poker gods IMO ),in this situation the shove was the best line to me.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Wed Jul 27, 2011 at 04:40 AM..

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 05:04 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Don't see where the villain's play here was "strange" so to speak. He already has 200 in the pot and it's costing him roughly 7% of his remaining stack to call here. And you can even forget all that if you want because for someone to have that stack at this stage of a PSO you can take a guess as to what kind of player they are and damnit,HE HAS AN ACE,lol.

Look ron anyone with THAT stack at this stage of a PSO and an Ace in their hand is calling you 1000 times out of 1000. And since your'e 70% here you WANT the call.

The one point that someone made here that I think is worth considering the most is Trap's point #2---that shoving here may rob you of value because if the table folds around then you cheapened your kings.

The flip side of that though is that if you don't open-shove here then what line do you take? There's no way that you're folding this hand ever in this spot so that's out. Open limping any hand isn't good poker,open limping KK should get you relegated to the Hubbles ghetto for a month. So much for that.

So that leaves a non-shove raise. My problem with NOT shoving in this spot is that at 6 BB's what do you do instead? A in-bet for 1/3rd of your stack? I really don't like that play. A 3x bet for half your stack? I really,really don't like that play.

So whilst I agree wholeheartedly with freerolls and lower limit games being too shove-happy as a rule (thank the poker gods IMO ),in this situation the shove was the best line to me.
after that hand i went into tuesday and i said to myself you may as well fold every hand that you play the rest off the week because you wont see another playable hand from tuesday to sunday,so far i played 2 tournaments tueday and 1 wednesday and havent had a playable hand yet,if im ranked better then 1000th by sat i might sit the last 2 days out since i have a wedding to go to sat

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 04:55 PM
(#11)
Well yeah I'm assuming with the way you pushed for your 150 VPP's that making the top 1500 is your priority. If that's the case AND you feel for sure that you have it cinched in your current position then yeah,grab some pine for the rest of the month.

Always be aware of what your main goal is and make achieving that your focus. Anything accomplished above and beyond that is gravy.

Mission statement.
Mission statement.
Mission statement.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com