Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

2,7 lowball triple draw hand

Old
2,7 lowball triple draw hand - Mon Jul 25, 2011, 07:11 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010

heres a sample hand from a 2,7 lowball triple draw hand i played in a cash game a few weeks ago,this game is much different then most meening that the ace is the worst card to hold in this game and low cards are the best to hold,also any made hand is no good in this game with the nut hand being 2,3,4,5,7,now heres a sample off what the game is like to play

Old
Mon Jul 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Nice hand ron.

A couple questions...

Was this a limit game and if not did you consider betting more to reduce the number of players drawing?

Reason I ask is (to me) I would thing that a 9 high with a 7 behind hand in triple draw is a somewhat vulnerable hand. My only experience with triple draw is as part of 8 game so maybe I'm off in my estimation here,but do you find that a hand like the one you were holding is a kind of "50/50" type hand----could be good,could be not very good at all?

My main "experience" in 2-7 was the NL single draw freerolls,which actually became my "go-to" ticket game. I know the hand you had here was one I would be looking to get a lot of chips with in single draw,but in triple it feels like a somewhat shaky hand. Especially when you're "stand pat" after the first draw and up against 2 1 card-draws and 1 2 card.

What's your experience in having a hand like this hold up against 3 drawers that are that close to filling their hands?

Like seeing other hands come up here. Maybe try posting in Hand Analysis where it may get more looks?

Good job ron.

Old
Tue Jul 26, 2011, 03:17 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Nice hand ron.

A couple questions...

Was this a limit game and if not did you consider betting more to reduce the number of players drawing?

Reason I ask is (to me) I would thing that a 9 high with a 7 behind hand in triple draw is a somewhat vulnerable hand. My only experience with triple draw is as part of 8 game so maybe I'm off in my estimation here,but do you find that a hand like the one you were holding is a kind of "50/50" type hand----could be good,could be not very good at all?

My main "experience" in 2-7 was the NL single draw freerolls,which actually became my "go-to" ticket game. I know the hand you had here was one I would be looking to get a lot of chips with in single draw,but in triple it feels like a somewhat shaky hand. Especially when you're "stand pat" after the first draw and up against 2 1 card-draws and 1 2 card.

What's your experience in having a hand like this hold up against 3 drawers that are that close to filling their hands?

Like seeing other hands come up here. Maybe try posting in Hand Analysis where it may get more looks?

Good job ron.
this was the first time in 2years that i actually played this game,i stood pat in this hand just to see what the opponets would do,if i was reraised or if another also stood pat then i pretty sure im beat,i cant remember from past exsperience in having hands like this cause its been 2 years since i played,this is also a game i like to get to know better because i think its alot off fun to play,hope to see you back soon

Old
Tue Jul 26, 2011, 04:38 AM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
(Note: My triple draw play is pretty limited, mainly as part of the 8 game format. I have, however, devoted a few hours to reading, and maybe 500 or so hours of play.)

Quote:
Nice hand ron.

A couple questions...

Triple draw is quite often played limit. PL Triple draw, and NL Triple draw is relatively rare, as are PL/NL Stud. Most games which rely heavily upon drawing tend to play either FL or Spread limit. I do believe the sick-o's in Tunica are about the only players left in the U.S. who do play NL or PL triple draw with any regularity.

NL/PL can be found on some sites though...

Quote:
Ronh's play was pretty "normal".

He started with a very strong draw, taking 1 to the nut hand (23457 = nuts, he held 2457).
He did not, however, have a "pat" hand with his T7 in most cases, simply because a lot of players WILL take off 2 draws.

Quote:
When he drew his 9 on his first draw, you really do NOT want to be drawing again, simply because improving beyond the 97 is pretty un-likely (only a 3, 6, 8 woulda improved him).
Busting up that pat hand woulda been a mistake.

Add in the fact he was not facing ANY single card draws to start, and he has to feel his 9 is good.

If someone draws 1 on the 2nd draw, then stands pat, sure ronh has re-assess, but as long as he sees 'em still taking cards, he should bet.

Quote:
You will get drawn out on occasionally, but not as often as you'd might think.
Think about it...

At best, there are only 32 cards between 2 and 9.
If all 3 villains hold 4 cards between 2 and 9, that is 12 gone.
Hero holds 5 pat cards, so only 15 are left.
In hold em, with community cards play, this would be a lot, but without community cards you have to think of it like this instead:
96+, 4 cards hands are drawing to 12 cards max but 8 more commonly, and Hero holds some outs which may help the villains.

so it will happen, but not enough to prevent me from betting it if all villains took their 2nd draw.

Quote:
Me too.

Last edited by JDean; Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 04:44 AM..

Old
Tue Jul 26, 2011, 10:53 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
This is one my other favorite games, when I started playing it was triple draw but started noticing a pattern of more losses than wins so I went to PL single draw and did much better. So when I play 2-7 it's only pot limit and single draw. Pretty fun game once you get the hang of it.

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 10:49 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
lol ur lucky no one outdrew u. 97 low is a pretty weak hand against 2 opps. u played it fine, just saying i expected someone to turn over a better hand. i like the guy who drew 2, then drew 1, then folded whilst getting 7 to 1 odds.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com