How to bet?

Old
Talking
How to bet? - Tue Jul 26, 2011, 11:54 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hi all

Now i know that there are standard bets like 1 BB and 2,5/4 BB for à raise. And when betting more then 1/3 of your stack u have to Shove. And also when past 10% of ur stack u are comitted. And the 1/3, 1/2 and pot sized bets. I read them but i keep wondering.....

How do i determine the right bet when i hold the nuts or i think i have the best hand so i can make the most out of my oponent without chasin him off or get action i don't want.

Old
Tue Jul 26, 2011, 05:01 PM
(#2)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wopke77 View Post
Hi all

Now i know that there are standard bets like 1 BB and 2,5/4 BB for à raise. And when betting more then 1/3 of your stack u have to Shove. And also when past 10% of ur stack u are comitted. And the 1/3, 1/2 and pot sized bets. I read them but i keep wondering.....

How do i determine the right bet when i hold the nuts or i think i have the best hand so i can make the most out of my oponent without chasin him off or get action i don't want.
Dam wopke, talk about a HUGE QUESTION!

First, I'd like to address a couple of statements you make here:

1) 1/3rd your stack marks a committment point yes. If you are betitng over that amount, you should probably jsut put 'em all in if you think you are ahead, or if you think a bet just over 1/3rd your stack will tend to get a fold you want (if you are bluffing).

(careful aobut bluff shoving your stack ery often though, especially "air ball" bluffs! A semi-bluff, a "bluff with outs", is a lot "safer" to do if it means your whole stack if called!)

2) When you are slightly past 10% of your stack in, you are NOT "committed" though! What you are is APPROACHING COMMITTMENT, so your thinking should be geared toward that approaching committment.

It does not mean "over 10% in, I must jam". It does mean "I'm a bit over 10% in, I cannot really afford to pay for 2 streets with this flopped draw, so I must either be aggressive EARLIER (if I think a semi bluff will get a fold), or I must consider dumping now, before calling off more on a flop bet".

That generally means either get your chips moving into the pot earlier to make committment "easier", or consider dumping sooner.

Now for your "main" question...

Simple answer: based on your reads.

When you hold the nuts, and when there is almost no chance you will be out drawn, you want to use your reads of the opponents bet patterns to determine the "best" value line for you.

First, if you are oop think about these things:

does the villain "attack" weak bets? If yes, bet weakly.

does the villain "lay back" on his marginal drawing hands and fold them a lot? If so, slow play in hopes he "catches up".

does the villain call too often when on a draw? If so, bet to invite his call, using his 'risk tolerance" inherent in his prior call amounts, and price your bet just UNDER the max he is likely to pay.

Try to aovid check/raises before the turn against players who will barrel twice quite often, or against those who will tend to fold weak draw holdings readily. Remeber too though, a river check/raise is pretty hard to do if the villain has seen you flat TWICE, so if he checks the turn, you probably should not try for a check/raise on the riv...

Second, If you are in position you will tend to have more info, because you will see what the villain does ahead of you. this means you really must have a good idea what his bets "mean".

If he will not lay down top pairand he bets like he has this, raise him as early as possible.

If he will muck a lot of marginal hits, and weak draws, flat at least once, and raise the turn.

If he checks a lot oop, configure your bets using a lot of the info you would if you were oop yourself.

So...

Betting, and extracting max value is HUGELY based on want you can say you "know" about your opponent, and the more info you have on HIS betting/calling tendencies, the better your value extraction will tend to be.

Hope it helps.

Last edited by JDean; Tue Jul 26, 2011 at 05:03 PM..

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 03:41 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
tnx again! sure helps a lot!! another pokerbrick to build on!!

Old
Wed Jul 27, 2011, 11:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wopke77 View Post
tnx again! sure helps a lot!! another pokerbrick to build on!!
hey poke if you are looking for more brinks,head over to the hand analysis forum,JD,TheLangolier,JWK24 will be happy to lend a hand in showing you how to build a foundation.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com