Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Basic Bankroll Tips

Old
Basic Bankroll Tips - Thu Jul 28, 2011, 06:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
Here are 3 very simple and easy to remember tips for managing your bankroll. More sophisticated strategies are available, but for those of you who want something simpler:

1) Never sit down at a cash table with more than 10% of your bankroll.
2) Never buy in to a SnG with an entry fee of more than 5% of your bankroll.
3) Never buy in to a MTT with an entry fee of more than 1% of your bankroll.

These are harder to follow than it may seem. Discipline is the key. So many times in the past I would be tempted by the big money and splash 50% of my bankroll on an MTT, but this is stupidity personified if you are serious about making money in this game.

By sticking to these 3 simple rules, you can really make a difference. BUT YOU MUST STICK TO THEM.

If you have a bad day, don't be afraid to drop down in stakes. And vice versa, if you have a good day don't be afraid to move up. As long as you play solid poker and keep a sensible head when it comes to bankroll management, there is no reason you can't make money in the long term.

After all, poker is a long term profit-maker.

Old
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 06:41 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Nice post man.

TC

Old
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 07:19 AM
(#3)
Thanks, also I'll add that if you're tilting then stop playing. If you get bad beat out of a SnG or MTT, or maybe lose a big pot in a cash game then take a few hours away before you play another game.

If you can keep a cool head then keep playing, but if you're tilting then you're more likely to go for big, short term wins and this is one of the easiest ways to go broke.

Old
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 10:07 AM
(#4)
Since: Nov 2010
I like this! my only problem is that when i'm tiltiing or on a downswing it makes me wanna play more..... i'm so ashamed of myself

Old
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 11:34 AM
(#5)
no need to be ashamed, you just have to learn to control yourself. discipline is vital. it took me the best part of 3 years to do it.

Old
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 03:59 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
Great thread rockpie.

Relative noob at the on-line thing but at least I knew enough to be very conservative when trying to start up a beginners BR. I think when you look at the estimation that 90% of on-line players being losing players probably 1/4 of those losing players could be winners if they didn't make really,really bad BR management decisions.

Old
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 09:56 PM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Add me to the list... GREAT THREAD!!!

Also, when you're at a cash table and start to see a losing streak... get up and move.

I agree with your numbers. Before the US stopped play, I built up a bankroll from nothing (starting out at the 1/2 cent cash games and 10 cent/quarter MTT's with astronomer winnings). It is NOT easy to stick to good bankroll management in the beginning, but is an absolute must for a player wanting to be ahead in the long run.

The numbers I used were similar to you... but instead of 5% for S&G and 1% for MTT, I used 1.5% for both of them (ex: bankroll $200, then I'd play at most a $3.30).... unless I won a ticket or entry into a larger tourney.

Old
Question what is MTT - Sun Aug 28, 2011, 03:06 PM
(#8)
love the thread.

My question is what does a 45man Sit and go come under
Sit and and go or MTT.

Thanks,

Grade b

Old
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 03:12 PM
(#9)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
its all in the name my friend

Old
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 03:37 PM
(#10)
Since: Feb 2010

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM..

Old
Sun Aug 28, 2011, 04:50 PM
(#11)
Thank you for this so with my 70 i will keep playing the 50 cent 45 mans and build up to the dollars ones

Good luck on the tables guys

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 07:32 AM
(#12)
I'm more conservative with SnGs, I stick to the 1% rule on SnGs. 100 buyins for SnGs to me seems like a safe number where I can never lose too much.

Old
Tue Aug 30, 2011, 09:36 AM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
I'm more conservative with SnGs, I stick to the 1% rule on SnGs. 100 buyins for SnGs to me seems like a safe number where I can never lose too much.
Totally unnecessary Merc. As long as you're adjusting your figures after each game, 25 (or 4%) is ample for SNG's. For example, $100 gives you ONE shot at a $4 game. If you lose, you move down in stake.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com