Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

6 Max MTT Spots, ranging

Old
6 Max MTT Spots, ranging - Thu Jul 28, 2011, 04:00 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Here i will be posting several good spots in a 6 Max MTT i recently played, some of which may also be relevant to full ring MTTs but thats all up to your own discretion i guess

So playing a fairly good 6 Max tourny as you do you will run into alot of big hands with average holdings, at least a lot more often than full ring MTT's. And learning how to play in and out of spots given below are quiet important in anyones game who is trying to learn NLH. I will be posting several different hands and give explanations as to why i did what i did in these spots, hope youz enjoy .

My Image in this tourny is very solid and quiet aggresive in position i do have a bluff image c betting a ton, double barreling ect, i havnt gone to showdown with any weak hands which is very good and players have been giving me there blinds fairly easily.........if anything to note i have been getting 3 bet a fair bit at this point in the tourny, both villains had seen me bluff a big big hand in position and i know that they are starting to play back now..... Villains throughout this whole analysis play a fairly well rounded game and generally don't get out of line OOP.

1. Stacks Sizes:

Hero : 70,000 (Button)
Villain 1: 50,000 (Small Blind) Okay obviously these chip amounts are rough estimates
Villain 2 : 60,000 (Big Blind)

Blinds are 600/1,200 with antes

So it gets folded round to me its 5 handed at the moment however just thought it'd be irrelevent to put up numbers on the other 2 players so blehh..........so yeah back to the point gets folded round to me and i have K-8 of clubs on the button and make my standard min raise open hoping for a steal.....Then both small blind and big blind flat and we take a flop lol not really what i planned for but hay lets do it......

(Pot is about 8,000) Flop comes Ac-10d-5s rainbow.......both villains check and i go ahead and c bet 2,400 hoping to take it down there.....Small blind calls and big blind wierdly overcalls.........

(Pot is at 15,000) and the turn comes a Q of club, giving me the nut flush draw and nut str8 draw............both villains check again..........now that i have picked up alot more equity in this hand i go ahead and barrel 6,000.......Small blind folds and big blind calls...........

(Pot is at 27,000) River brings another 10 but it is a club so now i have the nut flush draw yay
Villain now takes a line that i didn't see coming and donk bets this river about 9,600......

Heres my thoughts :

Preflop when i make my standard open, villains in the hand know that i hardly alter the sizing of my opens and have shown big hands following my min raises ect open and get 3 bet, then i 4 bet shove get snap called and i show KK.........however as stated above i had been quiete the aggro.... both villains flat call i can almost immidiately cap them on a range of hands which definantly don't fall into the top half of their normal ranges............. my thinking was that these guys were starting to simply defend more often now and wern't going to let me steal so often..............Once the flop hit A-10-5 i really really liked this board, although you didn't see me 3 barrel BLUFF this hand, this is the perfect type of board/situation to be doing it succesfully (a dry ace high board with back door flush draws ect)........

So from this early in the hand i know that im going to play it very aggressively considering that the A's in both villains ranges are genrally bad aces A-2,A-3,A-4,A-5,A-6,A7,A-8,A-9 and MAYBE A-10.......the obvious is that im getting 3 bet pre by villains good aces AJ+ sometimes A9 and A10 ..........................and especially big blind............I feel that i can take out the A-7 all the way to A-K maybe even more of his A's in his range here, considering the potential dead money that was in the pot pre and my wide opening range this is the type of player to notice and 3 bet accordingly...........Small blind however i didn't really know what he was upto so testing waters I make my standard C bet and both villains call...........

Once they call i assume villains perceived range of me would include: KJ, KQ, QJ, AK and worse, Missed pairs, and my bluffs........which has imo a much more bigger value range than bluffs in comparisson to my percieved range of villain (you see there is a teeny bit of meta game here)........So this way i beleived i would be able to rep very well and by firing the turn Q, it most definantly hits alot of my value range at this point in the hand, given no 3 bet pre by villain my guess z he is pretty lost in the hand and is in check/call or check/fold mode.......... ANyways once i make my bet on the turn i do exactly that and small blind folds, big blind calls here and pretty much illustr8s his weakness........... Now my perceived range of villain has altered putting villain on : A-2-A-7,KQ,QJ,KJ,J9,And Club Connecters also 55............however i think at this point in the hand though considering board texture and my wide value range villain would be more tempted to c/raise for value if he had set or a str8 but then again c/calling is fine if your sitting with the stone cold nuts lol......... I thikn also given board texture we would more likeley to be getting c/raised by all villains strong holdings, 55, KJ,,10A,......wow look at that can you see the only hands that could possibly check raise me on that turn?

Now the river hits and villain donks about 9,000 as it brings a second 10 to the board.........now lets see given villains read on me does he expect me to check back my Qs,As on that river? if so what hands is he repping here by betting? imo its only ever a 10 realistically there could definantly be a wide range of 10s hands he could have 10-7+ all the way to A10............however in orfer for villain to make this bet his perceived range of me should be A-X-AK, KJ, KQ, QJ.........which indicates to me that now my value range in villains eyes has decreased ALOT which would imply that my bluff range on this board is fairly wide...........i then came to beleive that yes it may be possible that villain could be bluffing this board here with absolute air that is a defiant posibilty now, however as i was saying before coming down to repping the hand it really only made sense for him to have a 10 here or just complete air..............

So considering that i would probly get value from his 10 a ton i decide to shove hoping he snaps off a 10.........but he Foldssssssss im not sure if villain is good enough to bet fold a 10 but i wouldn't have been surprised if he had complete air..........and disregarding results i was planing on playing this hand pretty similar........

feel free to pick up where i left off, open to any critisism

Old
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 04:13 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Great write up, love the thought process, my only question is the bet sizing... any reason for the minbet on the flop? other that to steal and not costly? then the turn and you bet 6000.. so around 30% ish.. is that to induce calls? or a blocker? and lastly the 9000 bet by the villain why shove over top? why not get some more value? raise to 12 maybe?

Anyways like this hand a lot, and look forward to hearing from the guys who know loads more than me

Old
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 04:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Preflop, I'd add in a few other combos to the BB's range. I could see them also just calling with AJ, AQ... trying to hide his hand strength (although I toss them from his range with the flop/turn check). If you were the only other in, then you'd get 3-bet, but if you're being aggro, they could easily sandbag these or low/mid pkt pairs. It's a good way to play against an aggro, as you'll hide your hand strength and can take a huge pot from them if you hit... and probably double-up.
SB, sounds like some sort of low pair or suited connectors.

When opp calls the turn, they've either got a straight, or backdoor straight with a pair (probably 10's... as an A should have bet the flop).

What I would not have done was to push all-in on the river. The only thing that would call it is a full house, that beats you. I'd raise, but raise an amount that the opp would call and pay you off. By pushing, you give them more reason to fold a straight or lower flush or trips. You've got the nut flush, make them pay you off for it.

You also could make your opening bet a bit more than min-raise. Especially early in a tourney, you'll get alot more callers that way that can get you into trouble. 1.5X-2X, especially if you're going to be more aggressive after the flop should help you more in the long run.

Old
Thu Jul 28, 2011, 05:42 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roomik17 View Post
Great write up, love the thought process, my only question is the bet sizing... any reason for the minbet on the flop? other that to steal and not costly? then the turn and you bet 6000.. so around 30% ish.. is that to induce calls? or a blocker? and lastly the 9000 bet by the villain why shove over top? why not get some more value? raise to 12 maybe?

Anyways like this hand a lot, and look forward to hearing from the guys who know loads more than me
Id say that me shoving over the top is fairly bluffy given that villains perceived value range of me us quiete thin........alot of the time i expect villain to be calling off a 10 here and i want to get max value all the time, raising is fine also as u mentioned...however reasons given above villain has alot of bluffs in his range and its sorta the same thing rasing/shoving, i.e if he has air hes folding and if not hes calling off in spots like this imo.

i c bet about a 1rd of the flop and turn 30% yes, yeah thats to give the assumption that they are value bets and yeahp. Its nice keeping bet sizing small, when you do have the goods it does induce and also prices villain into calling you down with the the bottom half of his range a fair bit of the time.

Last edited by Oku_Ha_FooLs; Thu Jul 28, 2011 at 05:45 PM..

Old
point taken - Thu Jul 28, 2011, 05:50 PM
(#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Preflop, I'd add in a few other combos to the BB's range. I could see them also just calling with AJ, AQ... trying to hide his hand strength (although I toss them from his range with the flop/turn check). If you were the only other in, then you'd get 3-bet, but if you're being aggro, they could easily sandbag these or low/mid pkt pairs. It's a good way to play against an aggro, as you'll hide your hand strength and can take a huge pot from them if you hit... and probably double-up.
SB, sounds like some sort of low pair or suited connectors.

When opp calls the turn, they've either got a straight, or backdoor straight with a pair (probably 10's... as an A should have bet the flop).

What I would not have done was to push all-in on the river. The only thing that would call it is a full house, that beats you. I'd raise, but raise an amount that the opp would call and pay you off. By pushing, you give them more reason to fold a straight or lower flush or trips. You've got the nut flush, make them pay you off for it.

You also could make your opening bet a bit more than min-raise. Especially early in a tourney, you'll get alot more callers that way that can get you into trouble. 1.5X-2X, especially if you're going to be more aggressive after the flop should help you more in the long run.
yeAhp point taken , however this is a 6 max tourny and everyones fairly aggro havnt seen anyone flat Big aces as u said OOP unless its in a 3 bet pot........and yeahp i do keep my raise sizes healthy early stages in a tourny lol, but this late when stack to pot ratio increases i like to min bet open alot

1. I Save chips when i get 3 bet and fold easily
2. Small Balling is my thing :P
3. Keeping a constant bet size open generally keeps players guessing
4.Most importantly manipulate the size of the pot and decide if you want to bloat it or not

yeahp ur right about him having a boat there sometimes......but thats the risk i take in order to stack his 10 or whatever it is hes betting for value

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com