Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

0.01/0.02 cash game - too tight?

Old
0.01/0.02 cash game - too tight? - Fri Jul 29, 2011, 11:25 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

In this hand I folded on the flop. Outs / pot odds wise I think that's a correct move (only just and not considering the A as an out). Or isn't it? Also, would this be a hand where the implied odds would play a role? I mean, if I would have stayed in the hand I would have won a big pot. Is a gut shot nut straight draw a typical hand you should try to pay some chips for on such a strong flop?

Old
Fri Jul 29, 2011, 02:09 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
I'd raise preflop to isolate the limper.

I think you're deep enough to call on the flop as a float, you have some hand equity and you have float equity. Then I'd probably raise the weak turn bet and expect to take it down a good % of the time, that weak turn lead is usually just what it "says" it is, a weak hand that can't stand a raise.

Reads are important and you haven't given any, so that's the first step, start paying attention at the tables. I wouldn't take this line vs. a calling station, but just the weak lead twice into the field rules out calling station for the villain. The other caller is a bit harder to define, but I'd take a shot at this pot floating the flop and raising the weak turn lead.

Old
Fri Jul 29, 2011, 04:15 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks. I did observe them by the way. Alber = calling station, the other guy played some sort of loose aggressive poker. Both didn't play too well.

But ATs from early position is a hand you'd raise? At these stakes people too easily call standard 3 x BB blind raises with any kind of hand. A bigger bet would be risky because there are so many who have position on me and could have a big hand. I prefer to limp and see a cheap flop. Too tight?

Then let's say you'd be 3-handed OOP wrt one of the guys. You'd still float and try to take down the pot on the turn? Call a small bet like the $0,04 bet here on the flop and again on the turn, because of implied odds when hitting (it's a thin fold looking just at outs / pot odds)? Or was the fold decent enough with one guy acting behind me?

Last edited by NL_Niels; Fri Jul 29, 2011 at 04:17 PM..

Old
Fri Jul 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NL_Niels View Post
But ATs from early position is a hand you'd raise? At these stakes people too easily call standard 3 x BB blind raises with any kind of hand. A bigger bet would be risky because there are so many who have position on me and could have a big hand. I prefer to limp and see a cheap flop. Too tight??
Raising ANY hand, so long as you have a very very good "handle" on what you plan to do on various flops, flops that you will get what you most 'expect" from your hand, is not a "bad" thing usually.

By raising, you have 2 ways to potentially win: holding the best hand at showdown, or getting a better hand to fold.

(22 is a 'better" hand that ATs on showdown. But if you raise, a lot of time 22 will have a hard time calling...see?)

By calling, you have only 1 way to win: holding the best hand at showdown.

The Langolier is pretty much pointing out that ATs is BETTER than the loose ranges of opponents. By raising, you may well eliminate hands which might limp along behind you, and out flop your hand.

If you flop an A, you are pretty clear that it will be "best" if you ahven't been raised pre...simply because these guys ARE playing much looser Aces.

If you flop a T as top pair, same goes for your top/top hand.

If you flop a flush draw, you can base your future decisions on how likley a semi-bluff bet is to work, or what the pot odds are to draw to your flush.

So in most all situations, you will either have a hand which tends to be stronger than those likely held by the guy you are trying to iso on, or you will "see" what he does in fornt of you, to have a clearer idea of how likely some bluff C-Bet is to take down the pot. If MORE people enter behind you, you also know EXACTLY the sorts of flops you "must" have to keep playing.

...if you don;t see those flops, you fold.

See?

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 01:59 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
You shouldn't be raising 3x over a limper, we're isolating in EP so raise it 4x at least, 5x would be ok.

Yes I raise to isolate weak limpers. Hand values are situational in deep stacked nl, not intrinsic. Isolating on the weak limper puts us in a better situation with ATs. If there are fish behind us who will call with worse, that's also a good situation.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com