Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Personal Challenge

Old
Personal Challenge - Sat Jul 30, 2011, 12:35 AM
(#1)
Since: Sep 2010
10k Hands at 10NL:

So, just as a quick intro, I currently play on Stars at the 10NL 6-max tables. I'm trying to grind my way up to 50NL, and I hope to be overrolled for and already a regular at that limit by 2012. At the moment, I'm working my way through 10NL, and I'm always working on improving my game as much as I possibly can, which is sort of an endless upward climb, but it's kind of fun even though it's hard and very slow going.

I've been doing a lot more work on my cash game lately and I figured that I could use some extra motivation, so I'm going to post my progress over my next 10k hands here. This technically isn't a challenge since I'll be doing the same thing I usually do (playing the best poker I can at my chosen game), but since people will actually be watching this thread, it might make me more motivated to think harder about my plays and stop punting stacks. Starting a session off by losing $10 is actually a pretty big weakness of mine.

I'll post HEM stats and graphs for anyone who wants to see them or comment, and I'll post some interesting hands (imo) and my thought process behind them. If anyone shadows and wants to know about a specific hand, let me know and I'll explain it in here.

Also, thanks to anyone who takes an interest in this thread, since it's kind of pointless if nobody reads it (although technically, I only need to think you're reading it; so you could just pretend to and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference...).

Last edited by PanickyPoker; Sat Jul 30, 2011 at 12:46 AM..

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 01:11 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
I'll pretend then.

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 01:41 AM
(#3)
Deleted user
Good luck Panicky you work harder on your game than most,I believe in you!

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 01:42 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
MAYBE WE CAN GET 30 OF US TO PRETEND

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 01:49 AM
(#5)
Thanks, Cookies.

You guys do know that if you tell me you're pretending, it doesn't actually work, right?

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 02:14 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
NO

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 02:29 AM
(#7)
Alright, I'm going to stop for the night, I guess. I lost over two buy-in's in just a few hundred hands. Probably coincidental that that happened now, since this isn't all that abnormal for me, but I was probably failing to make adjustments where they were called for. Since the session was going bad, I figured I'd end it early. Better luck tomorrow.

I'll post my cumulative stats after every 1k hands. So, that'll be something like once every two days, I guess.

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 02:56 AM
(#8)
Deleted user
I wouldnt mind railing the next time you play.

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 04:07 AM
(#9)
I'll get a session in tomorrow around noon, I think. I'll post here when I start one.

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 07:50 AM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
Do you do some kind of warm up before you start to play?

I say this because you said you regularly lose a buy in early in a session, if you are doing this regularly I would do some work to see why.

By warm up I mean a mental warm up to get you focussed on poker, for example reviewing mistakes you made last session, so you know what to do if the situation comes up again, reading a section in a poker book or reviewing your goals .

Good luck .

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 08:06 AM
(#11)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73REX73 View Post
Do you do some kind of warm up before you start to play?

I say this because you said you regularly lose a buy in early in a session, if you are doing this regularly I would do some work to see why.

By warm up I mean a mental warm up to get you focussed on poker, for example reviewing mistakes you made last session, so you know what to do if the situation comes up again, reading a section in a poker book or reviewing your goals .

Good luck .

Excellent advice. I'd also recommend sitting out for the first couple of orbits to watch what's going on and having a look at the stats of anyone you have no prior experience of.

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 09:04 AM
(#12)
Since: Nov 2010
Haha, i can't wait to watch your Bankroll burn to the ground Muahhahahahahahah.... Just kidding It seems to me that your a fantastic player and thinks rather hard about your game and how to improve, just to put in short You know your SHT. I'm sure you'll do great i'll be sure to keep my eyes on this thread. GL!!!!!

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 09:06 AM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
HI Panicky I will definitely keep up with your thread from the wasteland of poker that is the US.

Always liked checking up on your blogs. Its fun to follow a player with a passion for the game. Just watch out for those crazy BR swings - sounds like you have settled on a solid plan - good luck.

PS - enjoying the new site I am on - small but fun and lots of us former US, PSO players have landed there and we beat up on each other almost every night.

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 09:12 AM
(#14)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Panicky,

I got advice from another player to warm up on the full ring min cash and it certainly seems to help me offset any rash initial downswings. I too am grinding through the micros, (well maybe playing around would be more appropriate) and would certainly recommend the training videos and sessions from Felix.

I think you have attended a few earlier sessions but if not I would think it would be more than useful for you.

I certainly admire the amount of knowledge you have gained Panicky, and the amount of hard work and dedication you put into your game. If only I had a tenth of the discipline and work ethic that you apply I am sure my game would improve manifold. Unfortunately I am a little too lazy and unfocused but I will keep trying to improve.

I wish you all the success that your effort and skill deserves, and will certainly be keeping an eye on your progress.

TC

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 09:19 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted user View Post
Good luck Panicky you work harder on your game than most,I believe in you!
what he said, you put in more study hours than 99%of us

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 09:19 AM
(#16)
Since: Jul 2010
The work you put into this game is going to pay off

cheers

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 09:39 AM
(#17)
BronzeStar
You're gonna do great Panicky!!! You can do it!!!

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 07:07 PM
(#18)
Thanks guys.

The punting stacks thing probably has a lot to do with my behaviour in absence of reads. For example, I lost a fair share of bb's last night by bluffing into players who I would later identify as calling stations. I'm not a fan of sitting out an orbit, but I think I could play tighter for the first little while and just stop bluffing until I identify the players that it has the best chance of working on.

Alright, I'll start getting in some play in a little bit.

Old
Sat Jul 30, 2011, 07:46 PM
(#19)
BronzeStar
I'm trying to get a better grip on STT's, and I'm sort of finding the same thing - there's that conventional wisdom to do certain things ... but then sometimes when I sit down, it all flies out the window and I sometimes slip into 'Vegas' mode, and all that stuff I'm supposed to be working on incorporating into my game I forget to

Maybe that's the kind of stuff we all wind up learning by trying what comes naturally, and then paying the price. I lost two Sit N Gos this afternoon that I think were winnable if I had remembered to keep profits in mind as the primary goal, instead of gambling away for a big chunk of my stack. But by the next game, I remembered (largely because of the last two), and that made all the difference.

It's kind of neat that you're keeping track of your experiences, because after playing 10,000 hands, you're game might be totally different from where you are now, and then you'll be able to look back and see how much the hard work paid off - that's pretty cool

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 12:26 AM
(#20)
Alright. Done for the night. I've uploaded my big blind winnings graph for my first 1k hands. I can't figure out how to save my stats report in a file that's small enough to upload, so I'll just type them below. If anyone can explain attachments to me, I'd appreciate it. Even the image I uploaded isn't as big as it's supposed to be.

It's only 1k hands, so it means very little, but today and yesterday have been pretty disappointing because I know that I've had a significant edge over the tables where I've played. I know that because I frequently switch tables to play against calling stations and maniacs, and to avoid the regulars who play pretty well. The only explanation for why I've been losing (that's within my control) is that I must be playing horribly in response to the bad players. I don't know if that's true or if this is just a minor downswing, but I'm not quite a good enough player to recognize the difference yet, so it feels crappy.

I'll review my session histories before I play again and find some things to focus on. I think that if I can spot one or two spots where I'm leaking, and focus on not doing those things while I play, it'll help my mood, and my play.

Hands: 965 - Winnings: -$17.54 - bb/100: -19.97
VPIP: 21.8 - PFR: 16 - 3bet: 5
vs 3bet fold: 76.9 - vs 3bet call: 23.1
Steal: 31.4 - SB fold to Steal: 82.1 - BB fold to Steal: 76.6
Flop CBet: 85.1 - Flop CBet Success: 47.4 - Flop fold vs CBet: 48.3 - Flop vs Raise Fold: 85.7
Agg: 2.75 - Agg%: 42.4
WTSD: 23.9 - W$SD: 38.5 - W$WSF: 48.5
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1kGraph.jpg (12.4 KB, 19 views)

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com