Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Premier league tactics

Old
Premier league tactics - Sun Jul 31, 2011, 05:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2009
What's the tactics for the new Global Premier League gonna be ? After an excruatingly painful month i think 1500 clock runners aint gonna be much fun at all . There can't be too many donks qualified to play so maybe ditching the negative points would give us a game of poker without the fear . Leagues shouldn't be won by whoever runs the best during the last few days and it's a cert that the top 100 finishers if not more have had to resort to clock running to get there . Is asking for a setup that will encourage real poker play too much to ask for or are we resigned to spending another 80 hours of our lives waiting to click i'm back ? GL to all today and hope your dreams don't get spoiled by a pokerstars donk bot ( russian )

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 06:04 AM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMirren View Post
What's the tactics for the new Global Premier League gonna be ? After an excruatingly painful month i think 1500 clock runners aint gonna be much fun at all . There can't be too many donks qualified to play so maybe ditching the negative points would give us a game of poker without the fear . Leagues shouldn't be won by whoever runs the best during the last few days and it's a cert that the top 100 finishers if not more have had to resort to clock running to get there . Is asking for a setup that will encourage real poker play too much to ask for or are we resigned to spending another 80 hours of our lives waiting to click i'm back ? GL to all today and hope your dreams don't get spoiled by a pokerstars donk bot ( russian )

Personally, I find the highlighted remark rather insulting. Yes, I used clock-running as a tactic in order to get into the Premier League next month, but regarding the league-ranking, there are a lot of familiar faces and good poker PLAYERS in the top spots.

It was no fun playing the clock, and I really had to restrain myself up to the point where it literally hurt to keep folding first-class hands over and over again. I went through all of that to be able to PLAY poker again next month and I assume that a lot of fellow league-players had the exact same thought. Yesterday, I played at a table where all players had 7,000 + chips and none of them even figured in the league rankings.

I was able to get into the (small) prize-ranks before the change and I intend to get back there in the new structure as well - well knowing and HOPING it will be by playing, not timing, folding or sitting out.

Let's have the fun back! I strongly believe that will happen in August.

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 06:26 AM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2010
As long as the points structure stays the same, running the clock won't go anywhere, simply because it's a viable strategy. (I know I'll be doing it when convenient)

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 07:29 AM
(#4)
BronzeStar
One thing is for certain... there will be less fish in the sea and as ppl will be limited to playing one or two tourneys a day, it should be a much closer fought competition.

GL to everyone.

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 07:36 AM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy237 View Post
as ppl will be limited to playing one or two tourneys a day, it should be a much closer fought competition.

I wouldn't bet on that if I were you. Whilst I never agreed with the volume argument in the old league, I believe those who will be playing all three games per day will have a distinct advantage this time.

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 07:46 AM
(#6)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkman61 View Post
I wouldn't bet on that if I were you. Whilst I never agreed with the volume argument in the old league, I believe those who will be playing all three games per day will have a distinct advantage this time.
I agree Dman... so why don't PSO restrict entry to 1 tourney a day and then no-one has an advantage & at the end of the month the best and most skillful ppl will win?

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 08:04 AM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
I agree Dman... so why don't PSO restrict entry to 1 tourney a day and then no-one has an advantage & at the end of the month the best and most skillful ppl will win?
Above all this is a business that profits from volume / addiction. A cap would just be stupid on pokerstars end from a business standpoint.

One day without this topic would be awesome

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 08:35 AM
(#8)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
Above all this is a business that profits from volume / addiction. A cap would just be stupid on pokerstars end from a business standpoint.
Lets not try to kid ourselves... Increasing the requirement to 150+ VPPs means that Stars will earn more rake / profit from PSSL... and restricting the number of freeroll games in the league has absolutely no bearing on this... in fact it may encourage ppl to play more cash games to get their daily fix... and in turn make more rake / profit for Stars.

Simples

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 10:51 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Lets not try to kid ourselves... Increasing the requirement to 150+ VPPs means that Stars will earn more rake / profit from PSSL... and restricting the number of freeroll games in the league has absolutely no bearing on this... in fact it may encourage ppl to play more cash games to get their daily fix... and in turn make more rake / profit for Stars.

Simples

No offense but I think I'll trust their elite group of brilliant number crunchers , they know what they are doing

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 11:32 AM
(#10)
Since: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Sens Fan View Post
No offense but I think I'll trust their elite group of brilliant number crunchers , they know what they are doing
Although it would be helpful if they could count

Quote:
The leaderboard for the Premier Skill League will distribute $30,000 across two levels as follows:

20+: For members that have earned at least 20 but less than 150 VPP, a prize pool of $3,000 with a top prize of $500.
150+: For members that have earned 150 VPP or more, a prize pool of $30,000 with a top prize of $5,000.

TC

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 11:34 AM
(#11)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by StMirren View Post
Tactics smactics, its all rigged against you remember? your only hope is to stall, stall and blind out so the rng dont get ya

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 11:49 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by topthecat View Post
Although it would be helpful if they could count

TC
I saw that one awhile ago heh The web guys since reworded it differently, at least on the section I'm looking at, to include "Up to" which makes a bit more sense. Although it seems like there are a million variations across the forums /shrug

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 11:53 AM
(#13)
Since: Jul 2010
The women's league runs two tourneys a day for each buy-in level, and all players are restricted to one tourney per day. I believe this makes it a more even contest, since everyone has the same number of games available.

Since there's no rake on freerolls, the number of entries has no impact on PS's income. That's taken care of by the increased VPP's required to qualify for the top prizes. Having a 1 or 2 per day max might actually encourage more peeps to play, since you wouldn't have to devote your whole life to playing every available tourney.

My 2 cents, FWIW.

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 12:04 PM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2010
sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited by joy7108; Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Duplicate

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com