Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Bad beat or bad play?

Old
Bad beat or bad play? - Sun Jul 31, 2011, 04:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2011
0.10 Facebook game. Villain alternates between tight passive and TAG pre flop and is LAG post, typically playing hands like KJ and 44. Will play draws and any pair (pocket or otherwise) seemingly regardless of other peoples play style. Had beat him in a big pot previous level, leaving him with 2K in chips.

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 04:40 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2010
umm... i don't like your play. Why bet so large with top pair and such a horrible kicker? You bet so much that if someone went all-in (like the villian did) you pretty much had to call. I would of made a somewhat small bet and folded to a raise.... maybe even checked it.

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 04:55 PM
(#3)
Top pair against a post flop LAG in my experience is usually ahead, reagardless of kicker. Bet big to force him to give up any draws or lower pairs, or in failing that extract maximum value, and when he comes back at me I'm effectively pot committed. Plus my gut said that the way he had been playing, he did not have an actual ranked hand.

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 05:02 PM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
If the opponent is either 'Tight passive' or 'Tight aggresive' preflop , might it be a cause for thought that his 'Tight' hand range HIT the board harder than you , putting you behind in the hand before he got a chance to play the 'post flop game' that concerned you so much ?

Old
Sun Jul 31, 2011, 07:13 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Too risky...

You do not want to risk a call to draw after making your committing bet.

You have "only" a 10BB stack to start, so hitting the top pair (even with a weak kicker) MIGHT be reason enough to JAM. The reasoning behind betting a committing amount, then jamming (a "stop and go") is usually done when you are hoping for a CALL of the first bet, and hold enough strength that you do not "mind" that your first bet will have "bloated" the pot (with a call) to the point that the Villain left in will have good odds for a wide RANGE of draws.

You would be much better served checking this flop, and attempting pot control because you are un-sure of the strength of your top/weak kick hand in this multi-way pot...

OR...

Exercising maximum fold equity by open shoving from the start.

Last edited by JDean; Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 07:17 PM..

Old
Mon Aug 01, 2011, 07:10 AM
(#6)
Thanks guys, helpful insight as ever.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com