Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

thoughts of premier league

Old
thoughts of premier league - Wed Aug 03, 2011, 08:03 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
just a quick post to see what everyone thinks of the premier league.

i believe that it is a pretty skilled league now, i think after 45 mins of play only 25 people were gone, about 8% of the field. seemed pretty easy to make a lot of button steals and stealing with limpers in the pot which was done a lot

clocking in this tourney early on is only going to bite you in the rear for later on in the tourney i think when the blinds get huge. apart from the first couple of levels of blinds most of the field was very shortstacked, me included. played most of the tourney with a 5 BB or under stack. blind structure looked like it would speed the tourney up but it didn't really as it lasted for 5 hours 8 mins overall.

what does everyone else think of premier league?

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 08:12 AM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2007
Hi Yahooza,

Just replied to your PM. I think the format levels the playing field out quite a bit and I do not see clocking and playing premium hands alone will be successful. Also I did not see people going all in on silly hands early on and sucking out on good starting hands, which will please a lot of people. I suppose you could also look at it the other way is that there is no simple way of stacking up without these type of players.

Everyone will have to adjust in some way and it will be interesting to see how it develops.

Congrats on your finish, a great start, and a couple more of those will put you very high on the leaderboard, and this month I think anyone with consistency and 4 or five final table finishes could be hard to beat.

Cheers,

TC

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 08:23 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
BronzeStar
Thanks Top.

it does seem like it's a lot harder to get yourself a stack in this premier league as 95% of the field are damn good players and that other 5% go pretty quickly leaving the field full of top players though having said that one of that 5% managed to get 2nd.........

what i did notice was a lot of the players playing although it was their life at stake and literally only playing a top 3 hand, this made it quite easy raising their blinds lightly and slowly chipping up, the first hour i gave myself a tight image and made it possible for myself to steal very lightly in the 2nd hour but once the blinds got as high as 5/1k i was sitting with a 7 bb and "shut up shop" so to speak until we were ITM.

spot the nits and raise them lightly i'm a nit though but you can't raise my blinds unless you are Widzy :p

where will i find leaderboard for premier league? maybe it aint up yet but i cant find it

thanks

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 10:11 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
What a slog and also a lot of fun, The 21% of my brain that still works is hurting after that. Roll on the next one.........

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 10:34 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2010
Well to early to tell, only after one game but,

time clocking and folding most likely is not the way to go,

l will have to adjust my play for sure,

cheers

Old
thoughts. - Wed Aug 03, 2011, 11:29 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
BronzeStar
In My Opinion, unless you have 150+ VPPs, or are planning on accumulating them, I honestly don't see a reason to play in prem league. With 20+ VPPs in open league, you win more than if you have 20+ VPPs for same position in Prem.

Ldrboard is up.

Last edited by Stakehorse75; Wed Aug 03, 2011 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: ldrbrd

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 11:36 AM
(#7)
Since: May 2011
BronzeStar
I cant really remember anything from the premier league last night. It was 4 am and there was a infomercial for some kinda new bra on the tv so my memory of the poker is a lil foggy.

Seriously though, I couldnt believe how tight the tables were. If you raise EVERY BB with a 3xBB bet you'd build a big stack up pretty quickly. I think it'll open up a bit more as we get further along the line.

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 11:46 AM
(#8)
Did anyone else think that the blind curve may have been a bit to extreme? Seemed to me ( and I was railing very early....oops ) that the tourney became a bit of a shovefest a little too early, based on the high level of the blinds.

I did like the higher starting blinds, just believe it may be a little to strong a curve.

I do realize that the tourney does have to end.

Dale

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 11:51 AM
(#9)
no matter the tourney or game your in, and buy in levels,blinds etc.

adjusting to the field of players is going to be the key,

just hoping l can learn to do this,

cheers

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 11:53 AM
(#10)
(Administrator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakehorse75 View Post
In My Opinion, unless you have 150+ VPPs, or are planning on accumulating them, I honestly don't see a reason to play in prem league. With 20+ VPPs in open league, you win more than if you have 20+ VPPs for same position in Prem.

Ldrboard is up.
How about the value of playing far better competition...... Sometimes you need to look beyond the short term gains....

Good Luck
PSO STAFF

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 11:54 AM
(#11)
Since: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale442 View Post
Did anyone else think that the blind curve may have been a bit to extreme? Seemed to me ( and I was railing very early....oops ) that the tourney became a bit of a shovefest a little too early, based on the high level of the blinds.

I did like the higher starting blinds, just believe it may be a little to strong a curve.

I do realize that the tourney does have to end.

Dale
Different blind curve = different technique
It's all about adapting to different situations
May come in useful when entering MTT's & SnG's in the future

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 11:58 AM
(#12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike8998 View Post
Different blind curve = different technique
It's all about adapting to different situations
May come in useful when entering MTT's & SnG's in the future
Agreed.

Time for a little bit of rethinking on my part.

Dale

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 12:05 PM
(#13)
Since: Jan 2011
ghjfdsafghjkghfdsasfghjfkl

Last edited by Weee--Waise; Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 09:45 PM..

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 12:17 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSO-Staff View Post
How about the value of playing far better competition...... Sometimes you need to look beyond the short term gains....

Like giving up 66.66% of the prize to play with better players?

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 12:34 PM
(#15)
(Administrator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stakehorse75 View Post
Like giving up 66.66% of the prize to play with better players?
How much of the prize do you give up when they constantly bust you?

Good Luck
PSO STAFF

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 12:35 PM
(#16)
(Administrator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weee--Waise View Post
I totally agree, being a newer player and having a ticket to participate in the PL gives me a chance to gain valuable knowledge just being at tables with such experienced and seasoned players

Unfortunately being a shift worker and the times available to play this month are very far and few between, so any chance that I have and I have the time to play I will be doing so and even if I don't make it very far at least I can say I tried and will take whatever I have experience and learned and chalk it up as putting the time in to learning this game just a little better.
I hear you regarding the times and we are discussing this for the future.

Good Luck
PSO STAFF

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 12:40 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSO-Staff View Post
And herein lies the rub.

As we all know, Stars is here to make money. A must for any business.

The players in PSO are here to learn and improve their game or they wouldn't be here. But, a positve bankroll is necessary in order to move up through cash games ect. So where the players decide to play their poker is dependant on where they feel is the best spot for them to increase their bankroll.

Stars needs to continue to make money. So do the players.

Dale

Old
Premier League - Wed Aug 03, 2011, 12:59 PM
(#18)
So far i like the way Premier being set up. Lots of good players which i'm please how they played their game. It only first game and i have to wait to see the result this month. Good Luck old PSOers, see you at the table soon or later.

PS wanted let you guys know that my daugther coming down with nasty pnuenomia, and she have bad asthma too.My wife and i are very worry about her well being. Therefore i'm not going to able to play much this week. I will post more about her well being later this week. I pray for the best for her recovering.

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 01:07 PM
(#19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast13 View Post
So far i like the way Premier being set up. Lots of good players which i'm please how they played their game. It only first game and i have to wait to see the result this month. Good Luck old PSOers, see you at the table soon or later.

PS wanted let you guys know that my daugther coming down with nasty pnuenomia, and she have bad asthma too.My wife and i are very worry about her well being. Therefore i'm not going to able to play much this week. I will post more about her well being later this week. I pray for the best for her recovering.

hope she gets better soon

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 01:14 PM
(#20)
Since: Dec 2010
Yeah Outcast m8 i wish you and your family all the best - Hope everythings going to be ok m8.
Best wishes B

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com