Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

My Personal SNG Challenge (My First Challenge Ever)

Old
My Personal SNG Challenge (My First Challenge Ever) - Wed Aug 03, 2011, 08:55 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
So as the title said, I'm going to make a challenge for myself. There's been many challenges posted on here, the most recent one i know of is Panicky's 10k at 10NL (Hope your Doing Great Panicky!) and it made me realize i need to make a plan and stick to it. My main goal is to build my BR and hopefully move up in stakes, become a grinder as they call it The reason i'm doing this is because i recently suffered a blow to my BR and i needed a plan. So since my cash game hasn't been working that well and i do fairly well with SNG's i'm going to play Turbo 9 Man SNG's starting at the $1.50 level. $1.50 because like i said my BR hasn't been going well. I've decided to post my challenge because i don't trust myself in keeping my plan and could probably use the motivation and feedback. Well Wish Me Luck Guys!!!!!! Updates Will Be Made.

Keep Your Stick On The Ice

Old
Wed Aug 03, 2011, 09:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Just a suggestion:

Before you start those turbo games, contact PokerStars support. Ask them if those games are part of the Battle of the Planets - Mercury Division. Check out their web site if you are not familiar with this promotion.

If the answer is ----

YES
Grind them out after you check that scoring system. Make your goal a ticket into the monthly game.

NO
Consider a game that is part of the Battle of the Planets promotion. This will offer you both the chance at increasing your bankroll and a shot at a bigger prize pool.

Old
Thu Aug 04, 2011, 01:15 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cairn Destop View Post
Just a suggestion:

Before you start those turbo games, contact PokerStars support. Ask them if those games are part of the Battle of the Planets - Mercury Division. Check out their web site if you are not familiar with this promotion.

If the answer is ----

YES
Grind them out after you check that scoring system. Make your goal a ticket into the monthly game.

NO
Consider a game that is part of the Battle of the Planets promotion. This will offer you both the chance at increasing your bankroll and a shot at a bigger prize pool.
The SNG's i play are a part of the Battle of the Planets promotion, it sounds exciting. I'm still a bit confused though and i'm not sure if the 9 player ones are good enough to make the top ten or even top 100. I heard there was a $3000 dollar prize pool for this promotion, is it every week or every month? And what's the difference between high orbit and low orbit? And finally does it take your top 20 scores or your first 20 scores for a completed block. i'm a bit baffled

Old
Thu Aug 04, 2011, 01:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
The Battle Of Planet promotion will take your FIRST 20 games and add up your points then your next 20 games and so on. the 9 player ones are the best to try out at first and my calculations tell me you will need at least 10, 1st place finishes, and a couple of 2nd and 3rd's to make the top 10 use the BOP leader board as-well to find out who are the top players competing at your level and try and avoid these when registering for your games, as these player's really no there SNG's. I found when i tried this challenge that being aggressive seemed to pay off as I was hitting more flops and catching my runners. Good Luck and hope all goes well for you,

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 08:37 AM
(#5)
NEWS! Haha so first thing when i open up pokerstars it says that the Battle of the Planets leaderboard prizepool has been doubled for August 7-13th...... Pokerstars must of found out that i'm only just now trying it out, hehe. The only thing is i haven't been doing so well. so far i've played 40 SNG's( 2 completed blocks) and have just pretty much broke even, i heard it was slow going but i didn't know this slow!!!! haha just jking i'm having fun and i'm really getting the hang of how the play is going. My scores aren't so good though.... my first block i achieved something like 164 and my 2nd was 279, i'm improving so thats the main thing hopefully my next 20 will show some improvement.

Oh, and a thanks to Cairn Destop for telling me about this promo.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:07 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2010
Good to hear that you're at least breaking even. I have two pieces of unsolicited advice regarding these games:

1) I forget what the entry fees for these are, but the rake is substantial. If you're breaking even, definitely don't get discouraged, because even if you aren't beating the house, you are beating the tables. If you're breaking even, then you're definitely better than your competition, so just keep working to become a better type of better, and your ROI will increase.

2) A lot of people think that because there are very few competitors, the variance in SNG's is small. It's smaller than MTT variance, but it's still pretty big, especially if the SNG has a turbo structure. If you have a three-block losing streak, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're playing bad, so don't take the results of only a few blocks to heart. Conversely, if you have an upswing over the course of a few blocks, don't let it go to your head; variance works both ways.

I should probably grind some SNG's sometime as a refresher from cash games. I have an unread Moshman book that I really need to get to sometime. Maybe if you set some sort of bar, eagle, I can try and pass it? I need time to read my book, but afterward, I might actually give some sort of STT challenge a go. I don't remember if PSO has had an STT challenge before...

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:44 AM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
Good to hear that you're at least breaking even. I have two pieces of unsolicited advice regarding these games:

1) I forget what the entry fees for these are, but the rake is substantial. If you're breaking even, definitely don't get discouraged, because even if you aren't beating the house, you are beating the tables. If you're breaking even, then you're definitely better than your competition, so just keep working to become a better type of better, and your ROI will increase.

2) A lot of people think that because there are very few competitors, the variance in SNG's is small. It's smaller than MTT variance, but it's still pretty big, especially if the SNG has a turbo structure. If you have a three-block losing streak, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're playing bad, so don't take the results of only a few blocks to heart. Conversely, if you have an upswing over the course of a few blocks, don't let it go to your head; variance works both ways.

I should probably grind some SNG's sometime as a refresher from cash games. I have an unread Moshman book that I really need to get to sometime. Maybe if you set some sort of bar, eagle, I can try and pass it? I need time to read my book, but afterward, I might actually give some sort of STT challenge a go. I don't remember if PSO has had an STT challenge before...
Thanks for the advice Panicky, As for me setting a bar for you... I'll try but be ready for a challenge cuz that bar is gonna be pretty damn high!

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:45 AM
(#8)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
GL to you!

Unfortunately no Battle of the Planets for me yet as I am firmly tethered to the earth by the gravity of my bankroll limitations.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 11:09 AM
(#9)
Next week is a good week to be playing BoTP SNGs, they have a promotion on next week where all prizes are doubled.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 03:04 PM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eagle23 View Post
The SNG's i play are a part of the Battle of the Planets promotion, it sounds exciting. I'm still a bit confused though and i'm not sure if the 9 player ones are good enough to make the top ten or even top 100. I heard there was a $3000 dollar prize pool for this promotion, is it every week or every month? And what's the difference between high orbit and low orbit? And finally does it take your top 20 scores or your first 20 scores for a completed block. i'm a bit baffled

1 ---- If your game is part of the Battle of the Planets, check out the points. You'll need approximately 425 points to reach the top one hundred in the Mercury Division.

2 --- Game blocks are played weekly. Check out the times on the web site or contact Support since each of us might be in a different time zone. Winning a ticket, top ten, gets you into the monthly game.

3 --- Low orbit is referred to your first five blocks. Once you play game number 101, the first hundred games become your high orbit.

4 --- As Hitman said, it's your score in twenty consecutive games. This means missing the money will score zero points.

On a personal note, I'm doing these too, but in the play money. Have done 40 orbits since Black Friday, and scoring a gain in all but three so far. Watch, now that I'm bragging, the next orbit will have zero points.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 05:16 PM
(#11)
Do the play money battle of the planets pay out cash somehow? I played 10 $1.50 SnGs and cashed in only 2 of them. Good thing I was able to recoup my losses via cash tables. I don't know how I can ever get 450 points in 20 of these. Bad beat after bad beat.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 06:25 PM
(#12)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IroncladMerc View Post
Do the play money battle of the planets pay out cash somehow?

There is no prize money, real cash, for the play money sng games. There is also no play money division within the Battle of the Planets. Since I'm american, I need to find something to keep my poker skills as sharp as my quills.

(Okay, who's the wise-guy saying mine are blunt?)

Though it means playing in something where maniacs do rule, I continue adhering to the lessons learned. It works. The maniacs do win in some games in spite of a good play, but that is the nature of poker. I do believe skillful play is beating luck in the long run.

The old hedgehog has been playing the $300 + $20, 27-player sng games. As I said, righ now I'm up to Game Four of my forty-first block of twenty games. The only luxury I do allow myself is how much time it takes. Unlike the real thing, if real life has me taking more than the seven days, it doesn't matter.

I did try playing three games at once, which is the max allowed for play money. Got in three full orbits in five days, all with good scores. Speaking of scores, seven of my orbits have exceeded the goal of 425 points. So if they ever let us back onto the site, and I get my Mercury fund rolling. I'll do these for real.

Best of luck to you, the_eagle23, from the old hedgehog. I want to read here about you getting a ticket into that monthly game.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 06:47 PM
(#13)
Deleted user
Im taking a run at the BOP,going to run 20 9man KOs and see what I can do.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 07:00 PM
(#14)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
good luck guys, I always killed in the KO formats.. probably my donk tendancies but never had the attention span to last more than 4 or 5

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com