Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

First hand heads up

Old
First hand heads up - Thu Aug 04, 2011, 08:39 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011

It went like this:

It was a heads-up tournament for play money.
The first hand dealt to me was 69o and i was on a BB. The opponent calls the BB and i check.

FLOP: The flop comes 4 6 9 which gives me 2 pair. I was off the position, so i decided to check and maybe try to trap my opponent because i am not too scared of giving him a free card, because there is no hand which could improve much here, except maybe 78 but he wasnt folding that anyway.
I check. He leads out with 120 chips. I expected that, and he did it really fast without any thinking, so i decided to make a very quick check raise to 500, trying to convice him that its a bluff, or that i am a maniac with an Ace hand like AK AQ or something similar.

After my overbet, he thinks a bit and moves all-in. I was not able to put him on a hand here, i was guessing like 10 9, 8 9 or A4. I was sure he thinks that i am trying to bluff him here and it was a play money tournament so he must be playing very loose. I call him and i see he has 45o.

His only out was a 4, or 2 runner cards for a straight or a club flush. As the 9 comes on the turn he was drawing completely dead.

Do you thing i acted right? Or should i lead out on the flop in a case like that, which would mean i was only lucky he had the bottom pair and playing loose?

Regards
HohnerBoy

Last edited by HohnerBoy; Thu Aug 04, 2011 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: Grammar mistakes

Old
Thu Aug 04, 2011, 01:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
no problem with the check-raise on the flop. The only hand I'd have been worried about would really be a set of 4's... but if they had it, they should have raised preflop.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com