Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Does anyone else do this?...

Old
Does anyone else do this?... - Thu Aug 04, 2011, 09:59 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
One thing that the inclusion of players home countries flag's on the leaderboards has gotten me to start doing is whenever I log on to the School I look up players and then google their listed town/cities and do some reading on them and also check out whatever available images are provided.

Now myself I'm an admitted history/geography buff so this holds a particular interest for me,but I invite all players here to maybe give this a try. You will find out some interesting "fun facts" about the hometowns of some of your competitors and be treated to some truly stunning visuals.

A couple things off the top of my head that I learned and/or interesting places some of our players live:

A: siim_susi_2b (was ranked around 50ish whence I looked them up in early July) is from Tallinn,Estonia.

Had heard of Tallinn,but was interested to find that it's ranked among the top 10 digital cities in the world. And as for visuals it's a truly (for me at least) stunning city of Old World architecture (love the abundance of cobblestone streets...) mixed with some modern touches.

B: We have (at least one) player amongst us (forget their name,sorry,was ranked top 200 mid-july...) from Ushuaia,Argentina...the southernmost city in the world and a jumping off point for many an Antartica cruise.

C: cdazul A player from villa del mar,Chile. You want to see some really beautiful coast lines matched with a really attractive,well planned cityscape then google villa del mar.

Just a lot of other peeps from really interesting places as well. For me this is an interesting little "bonus" that the inclusion of the flags on the leaderboard got me to take advantage of. Like I said give it a try and maybe it will be fun for you as well.

Old
Thu Aug 04, 2011, 10:07 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
have you checked out ohura where i live yet? we're now down to 167 ppl. hopefully the mines will reopen and we've got employment again. pretty town though.

Old
Thu Aug 04, 2011, 10:10 PM
(#3)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Moxie, I used to do that when they put the cities on a player's table profile, instead of just the country now. Anything that I didn't already know where it is.... was going straight into google.

Old
Thu Aug 04, 2011, 10:19 PM
(#4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindy67 View Post
have you checked out ohura where i live yet? we're now down to 167 ppl. hopefully the mines will reopen and we've got employment again. pretty town though.

Hi bindy.

Well the link I found had your population at 165 in the 2006 census so maybe things are looking up?

Does look like nice country though.

Hmmm at 167 you may be from the smallest town in PSO. Hope all is well with you.

Old
Thu Aug 04, 2011, 10:23 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
I used to do it Jwk did, when the old format showed towns... I think I will start doing it again

Old
Thu Aug 04, 2011, 10:31 PM
(#6)
Yeah I used to do it with the towns as well but mainly to make sure I hadn't wandered into the middle of someone's "home game".

Just something about the immediacy of the nationalism that the flags stirs that piqued my interest on this,I guess. Definitely having fun with it though.

Old
Thu Aug 04, 2011, 10:42 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
YOU KNOW WHAT WILL MAKE ALL THOSE PLACES LOOK BETTER ??

LOOK UP HEMET , CALIF.

Old
Thu Aug 04, 2011, 11:40 PM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie Pip View Post
Yeah I used to do it with the towns as well but mainly to make sure I hadn't wandered into the middle of someone's "home game".

Just something about the immediacy of the nationalism that the flags stirs that piqued my interest on this,I guess. Definitely having fun with it though.

hey moxie you really need to get out more mate lol as you DEF spending TO MUCH time at your
and just to save you 10mins of your life lol dont even bother checking out my town its a shathole
and the only thing worth knowing is it's got a brewery
and the beatles sang about it and all its potholes >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z10bP9hl1k

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 12:33 AM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogMcglin View Post
and the beatles sang about it and all its potholes >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z10bP9hl1k
As an aside, The Royal Albert Hall reports:
Seating Capacity

Ordinary Let maximum capacity: 3,929

"Paul McCartney explained what the holes are. They were referring to 4000 screaming girls filling up Albert Hall for a concert. Paul said there were only two dirty references in their songs...this being one and the other is from Penny Lane, "full of fish and finger pies". "

Back in the day a street tough's term for girls (and inspired by *******ia.)

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 01:04 AM
(#10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLetterman View Post
As an aside, The Royal Albert Hall reports:
Seating Capacity

Ordinary Let maximum capacity: 3,929

"Paul McCartney explained what the holes are. They were referring to 4000 screaming girls filling up Albert Hall for a concert. Paul said there were only two dirty references in their songs...this being one and the other is from Penny Lane, "full of fish and finger pies". "

Back in the day a street tough's term for girls (and inspired by *******ia.)
i wish there was 4000 girls in blackburn
no its potholes as in holes in the roads RED click this link >>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q9D4dcYng then click on show more just under the vid explanation part
P.S what is that missing ******* bit?? lol

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 01:32 AM
(#11)
gen i tal ia

I know the song and the history; lennon reading the paper reporting on potholes. just thought i'd add the young englismman's slur for girls to explain the next line

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 01:33 AM
(#12)
and by the way, anyone who says ringo was a bad drummer never listened closely to this song

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 02:58 AM
(#13)
BronzeStar
I looked up Moxie Pop's listed city, then went to google maps for a closer peek.

I was simply HORRIFIED to see Moxie Pop himself, sitting on a bean bag chair on his back porch, wearing jsut his underwear, playing poker while eating cheet-o's!

That cured me of excessive curiousity VERY QUICK!

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 03:04 AM
(#14)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDean View Post
I looked up Moxie Pop's listed city, then went to google maps for a closer peek.

I was simply HORRIFIED to see Moxie Pop himself, sitting on a bean bag chair on his back porch, wearing jsut his underwear, playing poker while eating cheet-o's!

That cured me of excessive curiousity VERY QUICK!
Are you sure you weren't just looking in the mirror?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Old
Red face
:):):):) - Fri Aug 05, 2011, 04:08 AM
(#15)
BronzeStar
Hi Mox ,
I can remember last year when I 1st met ya playing and you knew all about my town in Braintree mass .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braintree,_Massachusetts

hugs and hope to see ya soon . I will be able to chat w ya the next time u visit the Penthouse hehe

Mary Nitro Kitty

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 08:39 AM
(#16)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
I thought I might have bindy beaten for lowest pop.-I always estimate it at about 50.
I can't find any definitive # though-not even at the census site, so I guess I'll have to cede that honour to bindy.
:-)

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 01:02 PM
(#17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckldgator View Post
I thought I might have bindy beaten for lowest pop.-I always estimate it at about 50.
I can't find any definitive # though-not even at the census site, so I guess I'll have to cede that honour to bindy.
:-)
I googled Erinsville, and the second link on the page "Erinsville - Ontario Rural Routes" has the population at 98

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com