Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

Set laydown

Old
Set laydown - Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:30 AM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010

$1.50 9 man SNG, I'm assuming it was a good fold, it has to be right? we were only 9 hands in so i didn't have much of a read on him.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 10:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
imo, if you were going to fold, you should have folded the turn since the river didn't change much and you were not getting good pot odds to hit a boat. I probably would not have called down either, since that turn was awful in so many ways.

Also, when you limp preflop, it becomes easier to range you. One arguement for opening for a raise is so that you can keep your range looking as wide as possible. Nobody's going to put you on an overpair here, so you're less like to get action with your checkraise unless they hit the board super strong. Your hand is definitely strong enough for a raise from that position.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 10:13 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
imo, if you were going to fold, you should have folded the turn since the river didn't change much and you were not getting good pot odds to hit a boat. I probably would not have called down either, since that turn was awful in so many ways.

Also, when you limp preflop, it becomes easier to range you. One arguement for opening for a raise is so that you can keep your range looking as wide as possible. Nobody's going to put you on an overpair here, so you're less like to get action with your checkraise unless they hit the board super strong. Your hand is definitely strong enough for a raise from that position.
Believe me i was going to fold the turn, i guess i just waiting to see a lovely 7 pair the board.... guess not, bad play by me i know. Thx again Panicky.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 10:59 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post

++1

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 11:24 AM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I agree with Panicky too. If you raise preflop, then it can make it look like you're trying to steal... and conceal how strong your hand really is after the flop.

You can fold on the turn... but, it wasn't totally horrible to call and see the river. Yes, if the board doesn't pair, you lost the chips that you put into the pot on the turn (but still have over 50BB).... BUT... if it does pair, you stack him and his flush. The pot odds on the turn makes it a fold, but if he'd stack off on the river, you do have implied odds to account for too.

Old
tells from names - Sun Aug 07, 2011, 11:55 AM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2011
I have one tell on the guy,

His name consists of ''bluffer'', people with a name like that never ever bluff.
I once met a guy named ch3ckr41ser, all he did was reraising me when I had the nuts, and he just smoothcalled with the nuts.
Names really mean 9/10 the opposite of what they say.
In Phil Gordon his book he emphasizes that hotblonde69, not hot is nor blonde and certainly not flexible.
good luck

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 03:28 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjekkkk View Post
I have one tell on the guy,

His name consists of ''bluffer'', people with a name like that never ever bluff.
I once met a guy named ch3ckr41ser, all he did was reraising me when I had the nuts, and he just smoothcalled with the nuts.
Names really mean 9/10 the opposite of what they say.
In Phil Gordon his book he emphasizes that hotblonde69, not hot is nor blonde and certainly not flexible.
good luck
Haha, you take reads to a whole new level, Very interesting though! It makes a lot of sense,

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com