Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Am i running bad or am I bad player?

Old
Am i running bad or am I bad player? - Fri Aug 05, 2011, 07:47 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
Well at the beginning of this month I updated my blog and although I hadn't been on top form recently I was quite upbeat after finishing 4th in a SnG and ready to hit the tables hard over the coming month and play some good poker. However we're now nearing the end of the week and I'm feeling totally different, all this week I've been really card dead and seem to be grinding the short stack in every SnG I play. But after today I'm actually starting to doubt my poker ability I've always thought I was a decent player, by no means the best poker player but i don't consider myself a fish. I know I have lots to learn and I always try to range my opponents and try think what they're thinking. However after playing in a $1 45 man SnG tonight i started to question whether i am actually any good and if my game is improving at all

I made a final table for the time this week and busted out first in 9th (I'm going to post the hands in the HA forum later) but I was grinding a short stack from about level 5 of the blinds. I'm now wondering if I actually played good poker at the time I kept thinking that I just couldn't hit any cards and although i did gain a few chips (from sucking out from an all in when I was dominated) I still found myself very short, At the moment it seem like I'm always short after about 40-50 minutes of play I probably seem like I'm moaning because i can't catch any good cards but today was the first time I've busted from a tourney/SnG and actually questioned my play.

This is a really weird situation for me as earlier today i was still in an upbeat mood even when i started the SnG i was, just before i had been reading a few posts on here and watched The langolier's video on 3-betting earlier in the day i don't know how to react to feeling like this after Busting out as normally i either get mad with myself if I've played bad and sign out but then after calming down go back and look at what i did wrong but I felt i played good and it still wasn't good enough so am i just card dead or not making the most of the cards I'm given...?

I probably seem like I'm having a bit of a moan and I'm definably rambling on a lot just wrote loads more and deleted it as i realised I'm repeating myself so I'm going to stop now, so i suppose the question i ask is what to do i don't really want to stop playing for a too long as i love playing but if some time off would give me a new take on things and help me play better i would definitely do it. Sorry if I'm going on just I'd really appreciate some advice. Well tanks for reading if you've made it this far then well done as I'm sure this is a depressing post.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 07:57 PM
(#2)
Since: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croyd93 View Post
Well at the beginning of this month I updated my blog and although I hadn't been on top form recently I was quite upbeat after finishing 4th in a SnG and ready to hit the tables hard over the coming month and play some good poker. However we're now nearing the end of the week and I'm feeling totally different, all this week I've been really card dead and seem to be grinding the short stack in every SnG I play. But after today I'm actually starting to doubt my poker ability I've always thought I was a decent player, by no means the best poker player but i don't consider myself a fish. I know I have lots to learn and I always try to range my opponents and try think what they're thinking. However after playing in a $1 45 man SnG tonight i started to question whether i am actually any good and if my game is improving at all

I made a final table for the time this week and busted out first in 9th (I'm going to post the hands in the HA forum later) but I was grinding a short stack from about level 5 of the blinds. I'm now wondering if I actually played good poker at the time I kept thinking that I just couldn't hit any cards and although i did gain a few chips (from sucking out from an all in when I was dominated) I still found myself very short, At the moment it seem like I'm always short after about 40-50 minutes of play I probably seem like I'm moaning because i can't catch any good cards but today was the first time I've busted from a tourney/SnG and actually questioned my play.

This is a really weird situation for me as earlier today i was still in an upbeat mood even when i started the SnG i was, just before i had been reading a few posts on here and watched The langolier's video on 3-betting earlier in the day i don't know how to react to feeling like this after Busting out as normally i either get mad with myself if I've played bad and sign out but then after calming down go back and look at what i did wrong but I felt i played good and it still wasn't good enough so am i just card dead or not making the most of the cards I'm given...?

I probably seem like I'm having a bit of a moan and I'm definably rambling on a lot just wrote loads more and deleted it as i realised I'm repeating myself so I'm going to stop now, so i suppose the question i ask is what to do i don't really want to stop playing for a too long as i love playing but if some time off would give me a new take on things and help me play better i would definitely do it. Sorry if I'm going on just I'd really appreciate some advice. Well tanks for reading if you've made it this far then well done as I'm sure this is a depressing post.
Boy have i asked myself that question many times before. Poker is a weird game One minute you can be on top of the world the next you could be flinging things across the room or crying and moaning. But one thing that is certain is that Poker is a very fun game to play! As for you being a bad player or your simply playing bad..................... Very difficult question to answer. My advice is just to keep learning, and keep playing Have fun with it, don't get too down on yourself if you lose or make a bad play ( Something i need to work on ) Hang in there!

Keep your stick on the ice!

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 07:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
hi....i have no idea if you're a bad player or not...and even with videos i wouldn't BUT i do know that getting depressed over poker is just a bit unhealthy. unless you are making lots of money playing poker and imho are then a pro, just enjoy the game....learn from it if you can and enjoy it. and remember to count your blessings. poker is a game to me and games are meant to be fun....

just my opinion

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 08:17 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2010
Go back over your hand histories with a really objective eye, and you should be able to decide if the deck is smacking you upside the head or you are making mistakes.

I used to have the same problem, seemed to be always on the short stack and having to take a lot of risks. I discovered that my problem was not being aggressive enough earlier in the tourney. I consistently missed opportunities to increase my stack because I was just too nitty.

Not saying tthat is your problem , it could be something completely different, but you need to review your hand history to decide. From there its a matter of adjusting your play so you aren't in that position any more.

Hope this helps, and try to stay upbeat, variance is the dragon you have to defeat to have any chance of being a winning player.

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 07:23 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2011
Thanks for the reassuring words guys very helpful and made me feel a lot better, after having a good sleep I'm feeling more positive and think i was just a bit gutted to miss out on the money after grinding the short stack reasonable well for quite some time, However I am definitely going to go over my hand history's as surely i can not run so bad in every SnG i play i must be being too tight and need to open up my game more but i don't really know what to look for as i will probably just think that i made the right decision when looking back on it so any advice and tips for looking over my hand history would be great

Thanks again

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 11:02 AM
(#6)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
I have to say you are a few steps ahead of most players in that you are looking for ways to improve yourself rather than blaming everyone else's play for your problems.
That being said, don't be too hard on yourself.

And if you haven't yet, check out the live training and videos that are FREE for the taking for anyone wanting to improve their game.
I find 19honu62's training to be very helpful for sng's.

GL to you!!

Last edited by Freckldgator; Sat Aug 06, 2011 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: "training does NOT end with two g's

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 06:05 AM
(#7)
Since: Aug 2010
I ask myself the same question every day. I think im just a bad player. Like they said just keep learning I guess

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com