Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Facing Defeat

Old
Facing Defeat - Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:12 PM
(#1)
Since: Nov 2010
As of right now my SNG challenge is a no go... a bit disappointing actually. I watched my BR plummet to a mere $2.14. Why? Eh... could of been a lot of reasons... nothing went my way and maybe multi-tabling my SNG's was too harsh on my BR and yes indeed i strayed from my plan yet again. Guess my emotions got in the way and i wasn't playing to my full extent. As for facing defeat and not playing again........... I DON"T THINK SO! I love the game too much,For right now i'm gonna play 2c and 4c fixed limit, play in the 10FPP and 20FPP Tourneys and play some Open Skill league to make it to Premiere next month. I played one today and placed 600 and something. I doubled up early in the tournament and played maybe one hand after that until there was just over 1000 people left. I then had to leave so i sat out. 600 is a good place right? Haha I think there is a VIP weekly tourney with a 100FPP buy-in so i'll try my hands at that too.
Another disappointing downfall by me but i'm not giving up just yet! (Hopefully will do well in the VIP tourney)

Keep your stick on the ice

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:21 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
what was your starting Bankroll? You should have at least 30 buyins to help overcome variance

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:25 PM
(#3)
i Started it when i had just $38 left

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Oh well, busts happen. As long as you learned from the experience of playing, I'm sure it was worth it.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:27 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
yikes, you had a bad run...the week before black friday I was on a momentous bust run too lol.. just keep working hard and the $ will come

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:30 PM
(#6)
lol, reminds me of the time I lost $700 in one day four-tabling. I think that multitabling is more mentally taxing than it seems. I always seem to do far worse than I think I'm doing as I add more tables. That's why I like to stick to one or two at the moment, and only sometimes jump up to four, and even then, for only short periods of time when I'm feeling mentally strong.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:45 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanickyPoker View Post
lol, reminds me of the time I lost $700 in one day four-tabling. I think that multitabling is more mentally taxing than it seems. I always seem to do far worse than I think I'm doing as I add more tables. That's why I like to stick to one or two at the moment, and only sometimes jump up to four, and even then, for only short periods of time when I'm feeling mentally strong.
Not to be rude or mean or anything but to hear you say you lost $700 in one day makes me feel better Haha, it makes me realize that a lot of people lose, it happens...I think i red somewhere that 90 or 95% of online poker players lose in the long run.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:51 PM
(#8)
Very true. Hopefully I won't end up being one of them; I just figured I'd show how multitabling, especially before you've mastered one-tabling, can be dangerous. Even good players go through big downswings, but they wouldn't be good players unless they were constantly checking themselves for leaks in their game.

Until you know that you're a winning player and not a losing one, multitabling is definitely a leak, since you're just speeding up the rate at which you lose money. It can even be a leak if you're a winning player; it takes a great deal of experience to know how many tables are optimal for you. To begin with though, it's probably best to focus on only one table at a time.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:58 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Very true. Hopefully I won't end up being one of them; I just figured I'd show how multitabling, especially before you've mastered one-tabling, can be dangerous. Even good players go through big downswings, but they wouldn't be good players unless they were constantly checking themselves for leaks in their game.

Until you know that you're a winning player and not a losing one, multitabling is definitely a leak, since you're just speeding up the rate at which you lose money. It can even be a leak if you're a winning player; it takes a great deal of experience to know how many tables are optimal for you. To begin with though, it's probably best to focus on only one table at a time.
Some great advice yet again there Panicky my friend. I truly believe that you'll be a winning player as to how much effort you put in your game and how much knowledge you have about the game "Already". I say already cause i'm not sure how long you've been playin my guess would be around a year or two :P Hopefully i'll been one of those 5 to 10% winning players too.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 10:05 PM
(#10)
About a year is right. I think anyone can win if they keep trying, and don't learn to play at 100kNL. Kind of hard to win back what you lost when you were learning if you can't move up after you've earned.

Old
Fri Aug 05, 2011, 10:38 PM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2010
Interesting thread I actually busted my original roll due to not understanding Bank Roll Management, then I had re evaluate why I busted my stack and it took me 3 months of looking at how I played and what limits I was playing at. Sometimes when you win a nice chunk at cash tables you tend to stray out of your limits and bam you have a dent in your roll.. I deposited again and I did leave with a positive in my account. But I do owe some of that to the wife hounding me ever night when I logged off if I left in a positive status LOL.

Evaluate your progress and find the leaks in your game. Takes some work but in the long run you will be a good and dangerous player to play with.

Sometimes it takes a massive hit to the roll to wake up!! GL and hope you rebound and cash out huge!!

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 02:38 PM
(#12)
Well may BR was at $2,44 and i decided to cheat BRM a bit (OK, a lot) not a big surprise for me . And so i played a 50centSNG (Where's the damn cent sign on this thing!!) with 45 people... I placed 1st OH YEAAHHHH!!! And so my BR is now at $8.24. And so i'm on my way..... I'm currently plaing the VIP Weekly Tourney. Double up in my 3rd hand so hopefully i can win some cash out of this.

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 02:41 PM
(#13)

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 09:14 PM
(#14)
My BR is now at $13.15. I placed another 1st and a 5th playing the 50cent 45 man SNG's And made a buck playing some limit hold'em. Now mind you i did lose a couple of SNG's But i'm climbing the money ladder so that's the main thing It's moving pretty fast actually. I hope i don't see one of them dreaded downswings again......... I think my SNG game is improving too so i'm happy about that. I also plan on watching one of Honu's live trainings, the 45man one coming up. Yep... it's going pretty good so far

Keep Your Stick On The Ice

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 03:16 PM
(#15)
I think i'll keep posting my progress here every so often for those of you interested enough But i'm not going to make it techinical like some of the others i seen
So recently i never cashed in the four 50cent 45 SNG's i played costing me $2 bringing me down to $11.14. But then i decided to try a $1 180 man hyper turbo and placed 3rd getting $19.49 for my efforts so now my BR is at $29.64. I've managed to start at $2.14 and reach $29.64! I did this in a matter of like 2 days. I can see some huge downswings by playing the hyper turbo's though.... i might try another couple than back to the 50cent ones. or now the $1 ones since my BR is big enough..........right? then move back the 50cent ones if my BR drops below $25. So i'm moving up pretty fast.... hope it keeps going well

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 03:45 PM
(#16)
Great job picking up some numbers, eagle!

I think that the 20 buy-in rule is actually pretty risky, at least for my style of play. Can't say the same for yours, but jumping up a level with only 20 buy-ins isn't necessary if you're having a good run at a smaller level. Do it if you want, but there's no need to jump off of a heater because you want to play for higher stakes.

Also, I'm not totally sure about this, but I think that the 20 buy-in rule applies to regular speed single-table games. I think you need higher numbers for turbos, and even higher numbers for hyper-turbos, and even higher numbers if you're playing multi-table SNG's. I think 50 buy-ins is the standard for regular-speed 90-man games. You'd probably want upwards of 150 buy-ins for hyper-turbo MTT's.

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 04:31 PM
(#17)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
i totally agree w/ you! the more i play live the more i realize the importance of hand reading and knowing your opponent. panicky forget the videos of the people making booka $ playing 24 tables at a time. the more tables you play the less attention you have to your game at that table. its like playing in a tourney in vegas and watching tv or checking out the waitress instead of the table after you fold or something. ive never had the pleasure of sitting at a table w/u, but i know u have a very analytical mind. that should be a good thing. dont forget youre playing against people not cards.
see u at the wpt someday. cheers.

Last edited by johannfl; Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 04:40 PM..

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 04:35 PM
(#18)
BronzeStar
Quote:
sorry all...my previous reply was centered on this ...

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 04:39 PM
(#19)
That's great advice, johann. I guess you give other people an advantage when you stop paying full attention to their specific situation and they are.

The WPT awaits.

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 04:58 PM
(#20)
BronzeStar
yup i think so and even a litle advantage can be devestating in the long run. in vegas sometimes the house may only have a 1 oo 2% advantage, yet they make billlllios! cheers

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com