Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

Every two months

Old
rwtyujkuhtrgewfrtyuioiytr - Fri Aug 05, 2011, 11:06 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
rwtyujkuhtrgewfrtyuioiytr

Last edited by Weee--Waise; Tue Aug 09, 2011 at 06:03 AM..

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 12:05 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weee--Waise View Post
Not playing in the pso this month and will let my ticket expire then play the open league in September and if i get a ticket for the PL i will sit out October then i will play again in the open in November, kind of a rational way of going about it, but i have no use for the PL if they only keep the 20+ vpp prizes low and are offering no options to decline these tickets that I personally don't want and if it was possible to transfer them to someone that actually wants it, id do it instantly. until then smell ya guys/girls later.

*sigh*

If you can't see the value beyond the potential prize money (or lack thereof in your case...) of playing in a league against players who are competing and giving it their all,many of whom are BETTER THAN YOU,then I don't really know what else to say. Not just to you weee,for I think we've seen this gripe from many. Too many actually.

Look people the banner at the top of the screen here,the place where you are being given this opportunity,says POKER SCHOOL ONLINE. Operative word here---SCHOOL.

Many of us who have been here awhile,myself included,have brought up the shortcomings of the original PSO Skill League---that once people found the proper way to "game" the system it really wasn't about poker enough,more a battle of wills as to who would remain disciplined and be a good little clocker,first foremost and always. And that really was fine---one could learn patience,push/fold ranging,how to play short stacked (or at least how to not panic when short stacked) and a few other things. Many things one had to do in the Skill League would get you killed in cash MTT/SNG settings. Some would help. Those that could figure out the difference and how best to utilize these lessons and apply them to their games probably fared well outside of PSO.

Personally I went from being roughly -5% on OPR when I found PSO to +52% when I,as an American,got shut out here for the time being. That had NOTHING to do with any prize money I won here,but with lessons learned that allowed me to best compete for that prize money. The leagues are not just about prize money,but also about competition and adaptability--learning the best line to take for the best results.

This Premier League promises to be much more about actually playing poker than was the Skill league. Okay,it may be a kind of Turbo-esque structure,but many of the games that a beginning BR player will have to ply their trade in within the mini-micro levels are turbo structures,or at least along those lines.

And most important is the elevated competition that you're going to see in the Premier league. It's poker Darwinism---either you improve or you fall by the wayside. I personally would be chomping at the bit for this chance,as win or lose,I would be looking at it as a chance to get better,FOR FREE,and take that experience to my cash plays.

How many here played in 19honu62's Cowboy Corral games? When he had upwards of 100 runners every Tuesday for the Bounty game (including semi-regular guest appearances by Team Poker Stars Pros...) there was not a better (better meaning tougher) $1.00 buy-in level game to be found on this site. Period. Win or lose how many people that played in those games feel that it elevated there overall play to have done so?

THAT'S how I would be approaching the Premier League myself, weee and any others. If you make money fine well and dandy. If not you'll still walk away with something more important than a short term BR enhancement by playing---a better game for having gone through the experience.

For free.

If you don't take advantage of this then I think you may have a chronic case of "can't see the forest for the trees-itis".

That's my .02.

Last edited by Moxie Pip; Sat Aug 06, 2011 at 12:09 AM..

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 01:36 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
Nice post Mox. Glad you continue to share your wisdom. (and logic)

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 02:11 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2011
rwtyujkuhtrgewfrtyuioiytr

Last edited by Weee--Waise; Tue Aug 09, 2011 at 06:03 AM..

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 02:19 AM
(#5)
Deleted user
Why not play your game and say screw the points.If your middle of the pack last week just donk out every tourney till your in the bottom 500.
Its a win win because you might actually play better with out the pressure of points and end up suprising yourself. just my opinion.

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 02:24 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
ONLY NEED TO BE BOTTOM 700

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 02:46 AM
(#7)
Since: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weee--Waise View Post
There are maybe 3 or4 people on this site that I truly respect their opinion and advice and you happen to be one of them, Moxie. I'll leave it at that, I'll take what I have learned from here and play where I will most likely gain the most experience that suits my actual goal and what I want to accomplish. Staying away from The Premium League that is mainly made up of hungry sharks that would gladly hand me my ass on a silver platter and laugh in my face while doing so is my main goal right now and having this ticket to play is very tempting to see how well I have come with developing my game. thanks but no thanks, and like I said, id give this ticket to anyone if i could but i cant so it sits in my account burning a hole in my head with thoughts of what if's, As time goes by the temptation to use that ticket will subside and the need to be the best at a game that has way to many bumpy roads to meander down will also. I totally understand the "everything thing good USUALLY takes hard work theory" I apply that everyday when I am at work. Poker is just a hobby for me right now and to complicate it even more by playing in that league wouldn't make it fun anymore,
Totally agree with you wee! You should play at a level that you feel comfortable with and having fun at. A chance to go deep would improve anyones fun factor.

Moxie

Totally agree with your point!! Been said in here many, many times. Wee's post is not a whine about the league, as many have done. It is a post regarding personal preference, therefore an opinion. Not right, not wrong.

You would not suggest to someone whom can only break even at the 5NL ring tables to move up to the 50NL tables would you? Of course not. Can you see the similarities that exist here? You can maybe try to look at this comparison without looking at the fact that PL is free. It is irrelevant.

Lets take me as an example.
Started at the 5/10 PLAY money tables here at Stars. Once I learned some things earned some play money chips, I could now move up to the 100/200 tables. Then found PSO. I now play MTT's, SNG's, and cash ring tables. ect... but that took time and a considerable amount of effort. Not just playing, but reading, watching videos ect. That is a TON of time. If I had not blown out my knee and been homebound, Stars and I would never have met. ONLY because of time and the willingness to learn did any of this happen to me. Not for all !!

Whether it is "Free" is not still not relevant when you get your azz handed to you.

Please try and see others opinions through their eyes, that is where they come from.

Dale

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 03:56 AM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale442 View Post
Totally agree with you wee! You should play at a level that you feel comfortable with and having fun at. A chance to go deep would improve anyones fun factor.

Moxie

Totally agree with your point!! Been said in here many, many times. Wee's post is not a whine about the league, as many have done. It is a post regarding personal preference, therefore an opinion. Not right, not wrong.

You would not suggest to someone whom can only break even at the 5NL ring tables to move up to the 50NL tables would you? Of course not. Can you see the similarities that exist here? You can maybe try to look at this comparison without looking at the fact that PL is free. It is irrelevant.

Lets take me as an example.
Started at the 5/10 PLAY money tables here at Stars. Once I learned some things earned some play money chips, I could now move up to the 100/200 tables. Then found PSO. I now play MTT's, SNG's, and cash ring tables. ect... but that took time and a considerable amount of effort. Not just playing, but reading, watching videos ect. That is a TON of time. If I had not blown out my knee and been homebound, Stars and I would never have met. ONLY because of time and the willingness to learn did any of this happen to me. Not for all !!

Whether it is "Free" is not still not relevant when you get your azz handed to you.

Please try and see others opinions through their eyes, that is where they come from.

Dale

Dale...

All good and believe me I wasn't taking weee's post as a whine. In fact my post wasn't directed at him alone but at anyone who is seeing the Premier League as a waste of time if they made it in with "only" 20 VPP's.

I try not to discount anyone else's opinions,or that they may have different goals or reasons for playing here. That's all good. Weee posts in the forum lately run along the lines of wanting to learn all that he can to advance his game. Now he's also stating that this is more a hobby for him. EITHER one is perfectly fine (and aren't necessarily mutually exclusive) but whichever path one is looking to take if improvement IS a goal that the player has in mind then,IMO,passing on playing in the Premier league is probably a misstep.

My reasoning for it is exactly as I stated in my OP---you're not likely to find better competition at the mini-micro levels so many of the PSO'ers are going to be,or currently are,playing at than you will in the league. Take that experience and what you learn from it to the cash MTT/SNG's and you'll be better for it.

As to saying that the element of it being free is irrelevant...sorry but we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point. Getting the potentially valuable experience and lessons one can garner here without risking one's BR getting nuked by playing over their head in a cash setting is a pretty big distinction in my opinion.

My main focus in responding to weee's OP is that we're seeing quite a few players getting so focused on what they can or can't win in the 2 leagues depending on their ticket that the ones who did make the Premier league are potentially missing a golden opportunity to elevate their game.

To me that would be a shame.

Old
Sat Aug 06, 2011, 10:22 AM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
The PSO League did little to improve peoples skills.

The Global League did nothing to improve peoples skills.

The Premier League will do little to improve peoples skills.

The PSO site and forum is a mine of information which will improve your ability to compete in the world of "real money" poker and the Open League.

Just my opnion

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com