Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

what is this..help?

Old
what is this..help? - Sun Aug 07, 2011, 02:14 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
i don't know what it's called when you're card dead on every table you play on, not for a few games, but for days. is there a word for it and how do you cope with it? keep on playing in the hope it'll get better or take a break? i've had two decent hands in about 4 days...is this normal?

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 02:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2010
BronzeStar
WHEN THAT HAPPENS I WOULD GO PLAY SOME PLAY MONEY GAMES TILL IT GOT BETTER
GOOD LUCK
P.S. NOW THATS ALL I CAN PLAY

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 02:21 AM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemetdennis View Post
WHEN THAT HAPPENS I WOULD GO PLAY SOME PLAY MONEY GAMES TILL IT GOT BETTER
GOOD LUCK
P.S. NOW THATS ALL I CAN PLAY

it is hideous!!....(spewing emoticon)

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 02:33 AM
(#4)
Variance/downswing. The fact it's affecting you to the point where your posting about it makes me think you could use a break. When it happens to me I don't play for a couple days and usually come back playing very focused and feeling really sharp.

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 05:08 PM
(#5)
thank you paidinfull.....don't know if i can manage live without poker but i'll try....maybe 1 day is all it'll take.

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 05:24 PM
(#6)
Since: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindy67 View Post
i don't know what it's called when you're card dead on every table you play on, not for a few games, but for days. is there a word for it and how do you cope with it? keep on playing in the hope it'll get better or take a break? i've had two decent hands in about 4 days...is this normal?
hi bindy,

1st let me say, l'm not a teacher or pro of any sort, just a guy that loves the game, but has been playing for years online, that being said, here's my train of thought on being card dead.

if your card dead -

you have to make due with the cards you get, by playing position, feel of the table etc.
bluff, play aggressive in the right spots, l have won pots with crap, the cards will not always come, sometimes you have to play what you get,

if your on tilt -

take a day off or two, or go play freerolls, shove any two cards,

please remember, this is just my opinion

cheers

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 05:45 PM
(#7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by effsea View Post
hi bindy,

1st let me say, l'm not a teacher or pro of any sort, just a guy that loves the game, but has been playing for years online, that being said, here's my train of thought on being card dead.

if your card dead -

you have to make due with the cards you get, by playing position, feel of the table etc.
bluff, play aggressive in the right spots, l have won pots with crap, the cards will not always come, sometimes you have to play what you get,

if your on tilt -

take a day off or two, or go play freerolls, shove any two cards,

please remember, this is just my opinion

cheers

thanks effsea....it's both...i'm beginning to tilt cos of the endless bad cards.....i have started bluffing more often but i find it very hard to play aggressively though i try.....funny that, cos in my real life pre-stroke i was uber-aggressive. gonna take a day off.

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 06:23 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
re evaluate yourself...are you playing nitty? what hands are you really waiting for? i agree with offsea, loosen up in later positions. remember its math when it comes to what u are dealt. the cards will in the long run be equal. its what u do w/ them that seperates the winners and losers.
also another idea is try a smallball - daniel negranu- style approach for a bit. maybe itll work for you here. . if youre not familiar w/ it, look it up. im not saying change your style,but anything to get you off your current state of mind that you need ceertain cards to continue or even be agressive...plus its a great weapon to have in your arsenal. cheers. j.

Last edited by johannfl; Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 06:28 PM..

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 06:50 PM
(#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannfl View Post
re evaluate yourself...are you playing nitty? what hands are you really waiting for? i agree with offsea, loosen up in later positions. remember its math when it comes to what u are dealt. the cards will in the long run be equal. its what u do w/ them that seperates the winners and losers.
also another idea is try a smallball - daniel negranu- style approach for a bit. maybe itll work for you here. . if youre not familiar w/ it, look it up. im not saying change your style,but anything to get you off your current state of mind that you need ceertain cards to continue or even be agressive...plus its a great weapon to have in your arsenal. cheers. j.

hi johann...yeah i am relatively nitty, it's the way poker school taught me to be, lol... but i'd be happy with connectors, in fact i like them as much as high pairs....but i'm getting 2,7....3,10....all day long. it makes for an extremely boring time. by which time i'm ready to go all in with a raggy ace. nah, not really but you get the drift.

i had a look at daniel's smallball and it sounds feasible for me to be able to play....will spend the day reading up on it more.

the poker pro's all seem to make it look so easy on tv

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 07:19 PM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2011
BronzeStar
btw nice to chat w/ again. youre a much better player than you think/say u r. gl . johann

Old
Sun Aug 07, 2011, 07:44 PM
(#11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannfl View Post
btw nice to chat w/ again. youre a much better player than you think/say u r. gl . johann

why, thank you

nice to chat with you again too.

Old
Mon Aug 08, 2011, 09:03 AM
(#12)
Try playing a different type of game. For me, I'm card dead in almost every league game I play. Usually get 1 or 2 good hands per game, if that. This is consistent from month to month. Someone up there doesn't want me winning the league I guess.

But if I play 50/50 SNGs, I get a lot more premium hands than in any MTT. Not sure why this is, but it's true.

Old
Mon Aug 08, 2011, 09:53 AM
(#13)
Since: Dec 2010
BronzeStar
Hello bindy!

Long time no chat!

These things happen. I hit a downswing that started around Black Friday (for whatever reason) and lasted til July.

I'd be busto if I wasn't so **** about BRM.

I just stopped playing anything over .25 and since then its been much better. I'm about ready to start sticking my toes back in the waters of 1.10 MTTS again.
I don't really remember any long run of horrible cards and I'm not geiting an unusual amount of good cards now.
I think the difference is the good cards are holding up and I'm getting an occasional suckout

Maybe I'm learning something too??

Take care and hang in there-it gets better!

Old
Mon Aug 08, 2011, 11:11 AM
(#14)
(Head Trainer)
Hi bindy, eff is right, you may have only gotten 2 playable hands in the past 4 days, but you've gotten many more playable situations.

Try covering up your hole cards with a sticky note for a while. That will force you to not play your cards.

Old
Mon Aug 08, 2011, 11:53 AM
(#15)
Since: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post
Hi bindy, eff is right, you may have only gotten 2 playable hands in the past 4 days, but you've gotten many more playable situations.

Try covering up your hole cards with a sticky note for a while. That will force you to not play your cards.
I think (not 100% sure) there's now an option to cover hole cards just a thought.. GL

Old
Tue Aug 09, 2011, 12:33 AM
(#16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post

i don't understand....covering up my hole cards? how? what do you mean?

maybe i'm strokey today but can you explain please?.

ironcladmerc.....i am thinking about changing to omaha hi/lo ....although my roi is VERY negative that seems to be my strong point....i play a few 50/50 sng's too and often make the money even being card dead....just by folding lol.

hi freckld how are ya?

i actually don't do well in the 0.25 games...don't think i've ever made it to the money.i was really frustrated with both my cards and play but now i've decided to mainly play omaha i feel calm and serene.lalala

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com