Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions / Old Hand Analysis Section /

10j off on the button .05/.10 6max

Old
10j off on the button .05/.10 6max - Tue Aug 09, 2011, 06:34 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2010
Just wondering if I should have folded on the turn or river. I won the pot but I think I played this bad because he could have beat me with alot of hands. It just felt wierd that he bet so fast on the turn after he just called on the flop.

Old
Tue Aug 09, 2011, 08:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Sep 2010
The guy probably thought you were weak from your half-pot c-bet and thought he could represent the king. A lot of people in your shoes would have folded the jack there, so I'm guessing he was bluffing the turn, but it's hard to tell. He played it weird.

I think your preflop call with JTo is too optimistic, and that's definitely the most significant action that you take whereto you'll be able to trace most of your postflop problems. When calling on the button with JTo, I think you need to completely outclass your table to make it profitable, because it's hard to play JTo as a draw (it's not even suited) and it's hard to play it for value (it will often be dominated). Even on the button, you should probably tighten your calling range. You could 3bet JTo, but that's a different issue completely.

On the flop, I like your bet sizing because it encourages middle pair, bottom pair, two overcards, etc. to call. There are no draws on the board, so you're either way ahead or way behind. There's no real need to bloat the pot before you know where you stand.

On the turn, you're in a pretty tricky spot. It's partially tricky because your poor preflop hand structure inevitably came back to bite you, but it's also tricky because the villain is sort of spazzing on you with an atypical bluff. I'd usually fold to the turn bet, but I don't really know what the best play is without a read. Against passive players, I'd easily find a fold, but against more aggressive or bluffy players, I might call down. I think it's a confusing spot if you're new to the table or haven't been paying much attention.

Old
Tue Aug 09, 2011, 10:50 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2011
Ya, just want to reiterate, if you could in future give any and all villian reads you might have, that would help tremendously for analyzing of your hand ie. playing tendencies of your villain and you, how long you been at the table with a villain, and really anything you noticed prior to the hand to be analyzed. otherwise the responses you will get it will be very generic in nature

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com