Home / Community / Forum / Support Area / Poker News /

slow play in prem.league

Old
slow play in prem.league - Wed Aug 10, 2011, 08:37 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2010
BronzeStar
Still a lot of players playing the "old way",taking their time making up their mind.BIG mistake in my opinion.The way the blinds are structured now you have to be able to play as many hands in the 1st hour as possible.Try as I might getting that message across at the tables,well hitting deaf ears.

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 10:22 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Yes, it seems the majority of players are clocking every hand now, it's worse then it ever was in the open league. This can't be the way PSO wants us to play.

Old
Affirmative - Wed Aug 10, 2011, 10:40 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2010

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 01:10 PM..

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 11:19 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
great post edin freeman +1000 clocking in the pml only increases the bingo aspect of the game when the blinds get larger and the stacks get shorter imho...scorp

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 11:20 AM
(#5)
Yeah I agree, if the table is a bunch of clockers, it's time to be more aggresive, since they are folding most of their hands. Otherwise I find I am not getting enough of a stack to make the points. You cannot clock your way to the points in the PL, so I don't know why so many still do it.

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 12:23 PM
(#6)
BronzeStar
So very true, clocking is of no use in the premier league. You need to make the top 33% to even think about the break even point. At the rate the players are dropping out it makes no sense to use the time clock, I have seen as little as 30 players drop in the first hour compared to the open league when that many can drop every minute for the first 3 hours. So anyone thinking they will go deep by clocking consider this, you just wasted the first hour to see the blinds are now 80/160 ante 15 your sitting with about 1000 chips and the big stacks can afford to call preflop and push on turn to dominate any poker play you can muster. In other words by this time your down to one option, all in and pray that the poker gods will pay you off.

Can anyone say bingo poker. Now i know this may sound harsh but isn't that when we get on the conspiricy bus and start saying poker stars is paying off one group while the good players get shafted?

Its a different game now lets adjust and play our "A" game.

Best of Luck and see ya on the tables

Ralph

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 12:28 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2011
BronzeStar
I think people are doing it because they don't know a better way. I watched the final table of a prem league tourney and people were still clocking. That made me laugh. No one can get knocked out while you are wasting time if you are at the only table! In the absence of a better idea, people will do what they know, and they know clocking. I find it frustrating to only play 53 hands in 2 hours only to have everyone at the table holding less than 10BB in their stacks. But it is a chance to learn how to play with controlled aggression and to learn patience. I am finding these games to be mentally challenging, just holding on to my emotions.

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 12:34 PM
(#8)
I agree. I'm not certain because I can't play, but I would guess that small-ball would be VERY effective in the PL. If players are going to sit-n-fold (trademarked ), then a little aggression, without much risk, would seem to go very far.
Get out there and play some poker people!

Old
Wed Aug 10, 2011, 12:44 PM
(#9)
Since: Sep 2010
Was thinking the same thing Dano but up till now has not worked for me since my10's keep running into kk's, my jj's into aa's etc ....etc ....etc....and funny enough in a league where position and blind stealing should be at a premium I have seen aces dealt to the big blind on four separate occasions in a total of seven tourneys .I have played here for almost 2 years and can only recall seeing that twice in all the tables I've played on rng and tournament combined.....not saying it's rigged or anything ,but to me is a strange coincidence.....anyway just an observation gl all.....scorp

Old
Thu Aug 11, 2011, 07:18 AM
(#10)
BronzeStar
Oh I understand clocking it after the 1st hour and a half,as long as u have 3500 in chips,let the blinds erode other short stacks away.My grip is the 1st hour,u have 2 try and get in as many hands as possible and hope u hit a few hands or steal a few blinds,.Clocking the 1st hour will end up killing u!

Old
Thu Aug 11, 2011, 09:11 AM
(#11)
Since: Jul 2011
Small Ball wouldn't be effective because small ball is a game which requires accepting a number of small losses looking for a big win. Small ball requires a large stack. In PL, you start with less than 40 BB, and it's nearly impossible to get beyond that.

Old
Thu Aug 11, 2011, 06:28 PM
(#12)
Since: Aug 2010
Actually, it makes no real difference if you want to run through the first 2 levels of BBs:
The mathematical diff is not significant.
After that, math is math and the advantage to the small stacked(SSed) player is indeed significant although not as much in the new scoring system as b4.
Every MTT is, more or less, exactly the same; advantage to the SSed player by clocking.
While every other player at your table has his turn, you are indeed playing against the players at your table but, when your turn comes, you get to play against every other player in the tournament currently engaged in a hand for those 14 seconds and secondly, you engage in a psychological battle with every BSed player at your table, wearing him down, disrupting his speed of play and thereby preventing him from using his big stack against you as often as he would like.
Lastly, a SSed player is not "clocking" his way to the points; he is clocking his way to a smaller loss of points.
Sleepy
74 years young tomorrow

Last edited by sleepyolman; Thu Aug 11, 2011 at 10:47 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old
Thu Aug 11, 2011, 09:13 PM
(#13)
Happy birthday ol' man!!

Old
Exclamation
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 09:40 AM
(#14)
Since: Feb 2010

Last edited by EdinFreeMan; Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 09:46 AM
(#15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!111Dan View Post
Happy birthday ol' man!!

Happy Birthday Sleepy

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 10:02 AM
(#16)
Since: Oct 2010
happy b' day SLEEPY you got me by 2 years. hope we get another 20 or so.

good luck

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 11:18 AM
(#17)
Since: Mar 2011
happy birthday sleepy hope dopey remembers youre birthday

Old
Fri Aug 12, 2011, 01:04 PM
(#18)
Since: Aug 2010
Happy Birthday Sleepy

Here's to many more

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com